Cruise to the edge April 2014

tucho

Yes, Googling is your friend.

How interesting....I rarely, almost never, see a suggestion on here for someone to google search something cruise related when folks come on CC and ask the same questions that have been asked dozens of times....I've even seen suggestions of searching the CC forums met with "how rude" comments...no matter, is what it is.

Being a huge YES fan for years, I was a bit surprised to see a reference to a music cruise featuring YES and a number of other bands, so I hastily did post a reply here, my mistake.

So yes, I did do a google search, found the cruisetotheedge website, got on the CTTE emailing list, and even references to last years CTTE cruise, and videos. Oh, and that next years CTTE is April 7-12, goes to Isla de Roatan, Honduras and Cozumel Mexico, and although the email did not state with 100% certatainty, will be aboard the MSC Divina out of Miami. The CTTE site also lists the performers in addition to YES that are scheduled to be onboard.

Several sites are stating MSC Divina from Miami. One site says starting price is $999 p.p.!

Is the ship chartered? That is not Divina's normal rates.

Yes (no pun intended :) ), it's almost certainly a full-ship charter, and those rates are not unusual for a full-boat-charter musical cruise.

The 70,000 Tons of Metal cruise (40 bands, sells out every year) on Majesty of the Seas was a minimum $666 per person, for 4 people sharing an inside cabin, smallest in the cruise industry at 119 sq. ft....PLUS $250+ pp port fees and taxes. For one port-stop. :eek:

And yep, I really wanted to go on that one. They're shifting to a larger RCCL ship in 2014.

As for the Yes cruise...toss in Rush, Triumph and Blue Oyster Cult and I'll sign right up. :D

How interesting....I rarely, almost never, see a suggestion on here for someone to google search something cruise related when folks come on CC and ask the same questions that have been asked dozens of times....I've even seen suggestions of searching the CC forums met with "how rude" comments...no matter, is what it is.

Being a huge YES fan for years, I was a bit surprised to see a reference to a music cruise featuring YES and a number of other bands, so I hastily did post a reply here, my mistake.

So yes, I did do a google search, found the cruisetotheedge website, got on the CTTE emailing list, and even references to last years CTTE cruise, and videos. Oh, and that next years CTTE is April 7-12, goes to Isla de Roatan, Honduras and Cozumel Mexico, and although the email did not state with 100% certatainty, will be aboard the MSC Divina out of Miami. The CTTE site also lists the performers in addition to YES that are scheduled to be onboard.

I googled it myself before I posted that. Really interesting information. Love the idea, there was way too much info to post and we are not allowed to post links to other cruise sites, or copy blocks of text, hence the "google it". I hope I did not offend you, that was not the intent, just too much information to post a reply.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread.

My husband and I are booked on the 2014 Cruise to the Edge on the MSC Divina, departing from Miami on Monday, April 7th. As of two weeks ago, when I booked ,the Cat 1, Cat 2 and balcony staterooms were sold out.

Except for Queensryche, the whole lineup appeals to us-but Yes, Marillion, and Steve Hackett were the reason that this went from 'oh, it'd be really nice' to 'we ARE booking this cruise'.

Came to CC to see what I need to know before boarding, as this will be our first cruise. From other friends cruising information, I knew there would be add on packages for beverages.

The scuttlebutt was that last year's CTTE was a partial ship charter and upset the passengers who weren't participating, so this year's is a full ship charter.

Anyone else going?

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I just joined this site and this is my first post. I will be a first time cruiser when I board the Cruise to the Edge next April. Always wanted to take a cruise and when I heard about the last CTTE, I was excited by circumstances just did not allow me to go. For one thing, I just found out about it too late to plan for it. But, when this one was announced I hit the road running and now we are booked and ready to rock!

Take care,

Uncle Mikey :cool:

Hi!

I just joined this site and this is my first post. I will be a first time cruiser when I board the Cruise to the Edge next April. Always wanted to take a cruise and when I heard about the last CTTE, I was excited by circumstances just did not allow me to go. For one thing, I just found out about it too late to plan for it. But, when this one was announced I hit the road running and now we are booked and ready to rock!

Take care,

Welcome to CC.

Hi!

Take care,

Mikey,

We're first time cruisers, too. Last year, my husband went to a show UK put on in Miami after disembarking from CTTE, we didn't have the funds to do it. With plenty of warning, and Marillion on that bill, we had to go.

I'm wondering when we'll sleep, because there are so many acts we want to see!

Been wondering the same thing. There's 26 bands..... 5 nights....... if we see 5 every night....... there's still one left that we miss out on. I'm not sure yet which one that might be!

Not to mention we are expected to get OFF the boat in not one, but TWO different ports! Will the madness ever stop?

I am SO looking forward to this! :cool:

I totally understand what you're saying. I think some of the performances will be in the various lounges aboard the Divina. Maybe some acoustic sets. We're going with a drink package based on that assumption. (now if only we could actually get our booking number to work with MSC's website, we'll be in like flint).

I know we can't take pictures in the main theatre, but I am rather hopeful that my need to take lots of pictures can be fulfilled at the other performances.

Five months to go...

Not to mention we are expected to get OFF the boat in not one, but TWO different ports! Will the madness ever stop?

Most (maybe all) full-boat music charters suspend the performances during port-stops, so you shouldn't have to miss any shows by going ashore. Heck, the performers might want to go ashore and enjoy the ports, too. :)

I assume performances would also take place during the day during sea-days, so hopefully you can see everyone you want to. (I didn't see a schedule posted yet on the CttE site, unless I missed it.)

Thanks Pellaz,

I was kidding around when I wrote that line. People on Facebook talked about the last Cruise to the Edge and mentioned running into musicians on the shore.

I know that whatever happens and whoever I see or don't see, I'm going to have FUN! Play everything by ear, make no plans, go with the flow, and PARTY!

Can you tell it's my first time? :cool:

Mikey,

I think being first time CttE and first time cruisers, we'll be in for a big treat.

A coworker just got off a cruise the other day and told me she missed eating all the time. Meanwhile, I suspect we'll get off the cruise and miss having live music from favorite artists all the time! THAT will most definitely spoil us for future cruises.

(though I have a feeling we may look into the Progressive Nation one for 2015...)

Does anyone know what ship this is going to happen on. My older sister is a big yes fan. 70’s-80’s rock band. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello!

The Cruise to the Edge is a charter on MSC Divina. For more information visit: http://cruisetotheedge.com/.

We did our first theme cruise, Monsters of Rock, last March and are are booked again for March 2014. You will have a blast. You won't have time to eat and barely see the inside of your cabin. You'll get your "set schedules" and pick and choose who you want to see and when, there's dozens of shows throughout your cruise, in the main theatre, on the outside stage and throughout the lounges. We were running up and down decks all day and night!

During Ports they usually have the Question and Answer sessions, Auctions, storytelling, contests etc. as a lot of the bands want to go ashore as well. You'll see them all over the place, in Port, at the bars and buffets on board so bring your cameras. Everyone we encountered was so accomodating and we have fantastic memories of our cruise, can't wait to go again. Oh, and we did take pictures in the theatre, everyone did. We were on the Poesia and hear the Divina is even more beautiful....

We did our first theme cruise, Monsters of Rock, last March and are are booked again for March 2014. You will have a blast. You won't have time to eat and barely see the inside of your cabin. You'll get your "set schedules" and pick and choose who you want to see and when, there's dozens of shows throughout your cruise, in the main theatre, on the outside stage and throughout the lounges. We were running up and down decks all day and night!

During Ports they usually have the Question and Answer sessions, Auctions, storytelling, contests etc. as a lot of the bands want to go ashore as well. You'll see them all over the place, in Port, at the bars and buffets on board so bring your cameras. Everyone we encountered was so accomodating and we have fantastic memories of our cruise, can't wait to go again. Oh, and we did take pictures in the theatre, everyone did. We were on the Poesia and hear the Divina is even more beautiful....

Thank you for that info! I'm looking forward to getting some good pictures. :)

Let me do a P.S. to what I said, there "may" be a situation where the band itself will not allow picture taking but I think in this day and age of cell/photo phones it's mighty hard to forbid this. They may say no to telephoto lenses maybe, just go armed and ready and see what happens, Cheers!

Let me do a P.S. to what I said, there "may" be a situation where the band itself will not allow picture taking but I think in this day and age of cell/photo phones it's mighty hard to forbid this. They may say no to telephoto lenses maybe, just go armed and ready and see what happens, Cheers!

Awesome! I have kit lenses for the DSLR, we shall see how it goes. I think a big part of it will be where the assigned seating will be located. The theatre appears to be a decent size to get something with a regular kit zoom.