What Do U Recommend??

cruisecrasy

Considering taking my elderly Mom to Hawaii on a cruise either later 2006 or 2007. Wld u go winter, spring, fall or when, which cruiseline do like best and ship for us (have done HAL most of the time but wld kind of like to try another), which embarkation port (we live in the northwest but luv places like San Diego) and anything else u care to suggest. Really appreciate u taking your valuable time to help me out. Thanks in advance & happy cruisin'!

My elderly in laws came last summer. They flew in and out of Honolulu and took the 11 day NCL Wind. They loved it. FIL is in a wheel chair and said that the staff and ship made it easy for him.

You can also do NCL's 7 day itineraries...also round trip from Honolulu. Some like to do the round trip excursions to avoid flying in and out of differnt places.

Winter has higher surf and the whales....and more chance of rain than the rest of the year (but rain here doesnt mean all day or all island usually....its sunny every day), after that, the other seasons blend into each other. Its about the same weather all year....slightly (and I mean slightly) cooler in the winter.

If you want to see the surfers on the north shore and the humpback whales visiting, than Jan-April is best.

If you want to cruise from the mailand to and from Hawaii, you really only have the option of fall, winter and spring. There are no ships that do this during the summer (those same ships go to Alaska then). HAL does this out of San Diego and Princess out of LA. Celebrity does a few out of LA too, but more from San Francisco. It takes 15 or 16 days round trip. We have done this 3 times and are going again in September. Very relaxing, and had good trips on both HAL and Princess.

I would plan on going during the whale watching season in Hawaii...roughly November through April. The weather is a toss-up...no way to predict those Pacific storms (as I am sure you know).

cruisecrazy,

I just returned from the 11 day NCL Wind trip around HI and to Fanning Island with my 89 year old mother. She really enjoyed it. You just have to plan your excursions around what she can and can't do. We also live in the NW and flew out of Medford to San Fran to Honolulu.

If I had a chance to do it again, I would. I would also go in the Fall or early Winter rather than in the summer. It did get a bit warm a few days!

Nancy

Archived