Wonder with 3 yr and 9 month old

sampup333

This would be our first Disney cruise and I am trying to decide whether to do it given that our daughter is an infant. We have cruised without kids many times on Royal Caribbean. I know Wonder is a smaller, dated ship, but for our purposes and our kids' ages, I think it will be fine. Here are my questions:

1. Getting there: Because we need car seats and have to fly in the day before into FLL, I think we will have to rent a car. This is a lot of steps, but flight times do not work for us to fly in on the day of and there is no DCL transport from FLL to the port. Any better ideas or tips? Any hotel suggestions?

2. Getting back: I am thinking of hiring a car service with a car seat (and bringing the base for our infant carrier) since we will have to get back to FLL the morning of departure. Any better ideas or tips here?

3. Castaway Cay - are the umbrellas sufficient coverage for the 9 month old? My concern is that she can't stay out but so long in the sun at that age. Any ideas for managing (and having fun) with an infant for Castaway Cay? We will probably stay on the ship on our other port day.

4. No, we do not have grandparents, etc. coming with us. Part of me thinks this is a lot of logistics and management for a 5 night cruise that could leave us just as worn out as when we left. I know only we can ultimately decide whether it is "worth it," but I am interested in any advice from those of you who have traveled with this age. We would be travelling in February 2014.

Thanks for your help!

Define why you want to cruise at this time/kids this age. I'm not trying to imply that there is a right or wrong answer, but knowing what you want from the vacation may help to decide whether or not this is a good choice for you.

The only thing in your post that I'd take exception to is the idea that the Wonder is a "dated" ship. I just got off 24 nights on the Magic--she's a grand lady. No, she doesn't have the high tech bells and whistles of the Fantasy, but I prefer the Magic! DCL ships are very well maintained and you should have no concerns about the "classic" ships.

As for caring for an infant--it is easy on DCL. Your stateroom host will set up/take down the Pack and Play. They will leave it up for naps if you wish. They will empty the diaper genie daily. The nursery is available for babysitting if you wish--current cost $6 per hour.

Most car services can supply car seats. You'll have to decide what works best for you on this one.

Castaway has plenty of umbrellas as well as covered pavilions. And since the ship docks, you can go back to the ship any time you'd like. Not sure what you do with an infant on the beach other than dip them in the water and play in the sand (not in that order!)

Thoughts with little ones...some kids are terrified of characters, some are ok with face characters but afraid of fur...and some are totally ok. The characters are trained to never approach a child, but to only respond to the child. SO, let your little ones take the lead. THe characters aren't avoiding you; they are respecting your children. Clothing--pack an outfit for each day in a zip lock bag. Include undies, socks, etc. In the morning you have only to pull out a bag for each kid and you are ready to go.

Strollers are available for loan from Guest Services. On Castaway, wagons are also available. Strollers are not twin type--singles only. A twin stroller will not fit thru the doors of the cabins if it is the side by side type. The back/front type will. You will not want to leave a stroller in the hallway--it is in the way of the hosts with carts, guests with mobility aids, etc. You can store it in the tub when not in use! Also, leaving it in the hall risks vandalism. Honestly, it is easier to bring an umbrella stroller or two and borrow a big one from GS if you want it for an excursion.

Personally, I think this is a hand full for you. Hope you have a totally helpful husband.

Get a cabin with a verandah. You'll have a place to hang out while the kids nap. This is the one instance where I feel a verandah is necessary!

Archived