Anyone rent a car in Ocho Rios

AMARINEMOM

Personally, I wouldn't try driving, they drive on the left, don't have any lanes marked, roads are full of potholes, people walk along side the narrow roads, etc. We worked with A-Z Planners for a full day tour. Just tell them what you are interested in and they'll work out a tour for you. We went from Ochi to Port Maria, Retreat, Fern Gully, Harmony Hall, Shaw Park, bamboo rafting, and several other areas, a stop to visit friends at one of the resorts and a stop at a local grocery store for snacks to take to our room, for a total of about 7-8 hours. They may not be the cheapest, but they answer e-mails quickly, have nice vehicles and Mickey (from England) is fun to be with. For a private tour for just 2 of us it was $180, which inlcuded all fees. Only additional charge was lunch at a local spot in town for a very reasonable $5 pp (Jack Ruby's).

Have you been on the Blue Mountain Bike Ride? It takes the full day (8-6). They pick you up at your hotel, get you up the mountain (2+ hours), you'll see beautiful countryside, enjoy 2 good meals, meet some nice people and swim in a pool by the falls at the end of the ride and they drop you back off at your hotel, all for about $90 pp.

The one thing we'll have to go back for is the Canopy Tour. We were told it is about a 2-3 hour tour including transportation to/from. We just ran out of time this trip.

Hope this helps you a little. Just do your research, or ask A-Z for suggestions. If you are interested in buying any jewelry while you are there, let me know and I'll tell you where to go and who to ask for.

Have fun - wish we were going back.

A jeweler that I know in Ochi told me not to rent a car. We've done it in other ports, but this just doesn't seem to be a good one to do that in. What jewelers do you like there? We've had good experience with Colors in Soni's Plaza.

Don't rent a car, hire a guide. You'll have a wonderful time!

Not long ago, there was an article about car rental info (in our local paper), and I read that you can't get insurance coverage in Jamaica. Your insurance company won't cover you, nor will any other insurance company.

Archived