Cruising with Type 1 Diabetes

My son is a T1 and uses the Animas Ping. Bolusing for pizza is a crapshoot but the combo or dual wave bolus certainly helps. When trying to figure out the carbs for something like pizza or the roast beef sandwich we just mentally break it down into its individual parts (breads, sauces, etc) and figure it that way.

Also this is another vote for Calorie King. They have a smartphone version but you need Internet access to conduct a search so you are better off with the book.

I also recommend bringing twice the amount of supplies. We usually put half in a carry on and half in a checked bag. It reduces the chance that you will lose all your supplies.

Definitely bring extra insulin. The ship's medical facility will not necessarily have the type you use. We found that out the hard way. Also RCCL will provide a small med fridge at no charge if you request it.

If you plan on bringing insulin ashore Google Frio. It is a gel based cooling pack that will keep your insulin from overheating in the blazing sun. We've used them for several years.

I doubt I'll ever conquer pizza, but I'll keep trying. Maybe I'll stick with stealing a bit of my husband's instead of getting my own.

I requested a med fridge and sharps container last week and just ordered a Frio! Thanks!

Hi 'ProbablyRachel',

you are not alone as a diabetic person during cruise:rolleyes:.

Elvi

I already joined the roll call. Not sure if we'll do any of the scheduled events though, not a big fan of scheduling activities! But be sure to say "hi" if you see me, I'll be the short girl wearing an OmniPod!

Do I need to be concerned about not being allowed to do the zip line or rock wall if my pump/cgm are visible?

I already joined the roll call. Not sure if we'll do any of the scheduled events though, not a big fan of scheduling activities! But be sure to say "hi" if you see me, I'll be the short girl wearing an OmniPod!

Do I need to be concerned about not being allowed to do the zip line or rock wall if my pump/cgm are visible?

I really hope that this is not a problem. We would enjoy if you meet us - you can read the last pages of our blog and see where we were :D

Elvi

I requested a med fridge and sharps container last week and just ordered a Frio! Thanks!

You can also use the Frio to keep your pump from overheating if you need to remove it (swimming, roller coaster, etc.). The best part is that it is water activated. No refrigeration needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thank you.

Why? I just read through a bit of your blog and was so impressed with your writing and your sharing of information. When I was diagnosed in 1967 at age 12 I was placed in the childrens ward (no private rooms then) of a local hospital and stayed there for a week. I was taking one shot a day of NPH (thats how they did it then) and handed an orange and said to practice giving shots. I knew no one as an adult or child with diabetes so it was a bit scary. My mom dealt with it but years later she told me the DR said that it would be a tight rope but I would manage, which I did. I am so glad that you are sharing your feelings and observations, the internet has helped so many new folks who have diabetes learn from others. So again, thank you for sharing your story and most of all for dealing with all the issues that come up for newly diagnosed people with diabetes.

Oh.... by the way I would not think that having your pump visable will cause any issues. Just make sure you dont smash it on the rocks!

Also, I am sorry for your loss, that must have been a difficult time in your life.

Mike

Edited by Motorman23

Thank you.

Why? I just read through a bit of your blog and was so impressed with your writing and your sharing of information. When I was diagnosed in 1967 at age 12 I was placed in the childrens ward (no private rooms then) of a local hospital and stayed there for a week. I was taking one shot a day of NPH (thats how they did it then) and handed an orange and said to practice giving shots. I knew no one as an adult or child with diabetes so it was a bit scary. My mom dealt with it but years later she told me the DR said that it would be a tight rope but I would manage, which I did. I am so glad that you are sharing your feelings and observations, the internet has helped so many new folks who have diabetes learn from others. So again, thank you for sharing your story and most of all for dealing with all the issues that come up for newly diagnosed people with diabetes.

Mike

I skimmed through the posts and I apologize if this was posted before. My pump died in the salt water once. I had a few syringes, but I should have brought more. If you have to, the insulin can be drawn up from the cartridge. The worst part was needing to inject the insulin every few hours, on a solo cruise, with no one to help wake me up every few hours. But I did it. Take that Type 1 DM!

On our last cruise I attempted to find nutrition information. My DH is a type one, and although he is pretty good at carb counting, I thought it would be nice to have. We spoke with the Head Chef who flatly stated this information is not made available.

Well, at least we tried.

Ditto on the sharps container, and extra supplies. We do love our frio.

But most importantly, enjoy your vacation !! YDMV !

I doubt I'll ever conquer pizza, but I'll keep trying. Maybe I'll stick with stealing a bit of my husband's instead of getting my own.

You'll figure it out! Being A diabetic is tough enough as it is, no doubt that with some experimentation you'll get it. If you haven't been here yet, try http://www.inulin-pampers.org

Thank you.

Mike

Whoa! Thank you so much for your kind words about... well everything!

I'm looking forward to both cruises that my hubs and I have booked, we need the vacation.

I don't know about the zip line but my son never had a problem on the rock wall. I doubt it would be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• 5 months later...

I haven't logged on in too long, but for anyone wondering how my first cruise with Type 1 went, it was great! It was a much needed vacation and the next one has been booked for awhile.

A quick recap:

- I made an educated guess on the carbohydrates in pretty much everything and it all worked out okay. I had some highs and lows but I got the hang of it a few days in and was happy with my average blood sugar levels.

-I did have to adjust my continuous glucose monitor to warn me of impending hypoglycemia at 80 mg/dL instead of 70 mg/dL so I would already be in the 50s by the time I got to food.

- My medical devices didn't cause many problems and everyone who asked what they were asked politely. The main question at the zipline was, "Will that thing on your leg fall off?" Once they knew that it was no only taped down, but actually stuck in my leg and no on, they were fine with it. The security people in Cozumel wanted to take my insulin pump (OmniPod) apart, but when I said it doesn't open and "insulina" they let me go.

-Other passengers gave me strange looks and a couple of people actually did ask about my medical devices. But nothing too big.

- I filled out a form in advance to get a sharps container and hoped it was in the room, but it wasn't and we had to ask our room steward for one.

I posted a full recap of the trip when we got back on my blog if you want the full, in-dept recap, it's here: http://www.probablyrachel.com/cruising-with-type-1-diabetes/

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and reassurance!

great news, we were in Jamaica on oasis mid January and I went through a more significant pat down at the local security at the port then I every have by TSA!. The made me lift my shirt so they could see where my infusion set and sensor was!

Mike

Edited by Motorman23

Make sure you call before you go and ask for a medical mini refrigerator. Not all rooms have them and they only have a limited amount to hand out. If you don't get one then you will have to keep your insulin in the medical department of the ship. My mom has type 1 and she enjoyed most of the food on the ship. She mainly ate light breakfast and lunch and saved herself for dinner but always kept an eye on her sugar levels. She also has a pump and had no problem getting onto the ship. However if you are eating at the late dine time make sure you get a snack before, my mom was not use to eating so late and had a very scary low one night, but the waiter was nice enough to bring her some bread and coke to help her low.

• Like 1

Most insulins are ok at room temp for 30 days once opened, though extreme heat can cause some, particularly mixed formulas, to degrade and crystallize. I don't keep opened insulin refrigerated, just keep at room temp and have never had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This has been a great thread to read through as I'm a T2 on an insulin pump - thank you for all of the great information. But I have a question - how or who do you request the med fridge and the sharps container? I usually just bring a portable sharps container, but would rather not if I don't have to. Is it better to just ask the room steward or to ask in advance?

And I live by my Calorie King! I had to buy a new one recently because the pages started falling out! lol

This has been a great thread to read through as I'm a T2 on an insulin pump - thank you for all of the great information. But I have a question - how or who do you request the med fridge and the sharps container? I usually just bring a portable sharps container, but would rather not if I don't have to. Is it better to just ask the room steward or to ask in advance?

And I live by my Calorie King! I had to buy a new one recently because the pages started falling out! lol

Me too. Type 2 for 13 years and been on a pump for 8 years now (reminds me that I need to get a new pump--wish they still made the Cozmo) and on Novolog.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Royal Caribbean has a special needs form that you can fill out. Here's the link: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

I asked for both a sharps container and a medical fridge because I bring extra insulin with me when I travel. Neither one were in our stateroom, but since our fridge was acceptably cold I just asked for the sharps container and let them know I'd sent a special needs request. I might have had to fill out additional forms if i just waited until boarding to ask for one.

I kept my open vial in the room most of the time since Apidra has a reputation for breaking down at slightly elevated temps. I have to use room-temp insulin when I activate a new OmniPod, but I refrigerate the extra insulin and emergency long-acting pens that I bring. The room fridge worked fine for that.