Am I the only one who'd love to cruise without formal night?

josassoc

First off I used the word "tattle" as i was mocking the poster I was quoting, it was not my term =)

Second I really don't care about the wait staffs tips. I do tip them well, almost always over the automatic unless I receive very poor service. If someone wishes to remove the tip for the wait staff because THEY chose to violate the cruise line rules, you think I should care about that ?

ripleys,

If you do not want a formal night, cruise on a line without one. But if you dress down on formal night on my cruise, I can assure you that I will "tattle" on you and hope you enjoy the embarassment of being removed from the dining room for flaunting rules you know that exist.

QUOTE]

Tattle . . . what, are you like in 1st grade?? Before you "tattle" on someone to have them thrown out of the dining room, I do hope that you plan to double your tips to cover those that the wait staff will lose. The first thing that someone will do that is removed from the dining room will be to stop at the pursers office and remove their auto tips. You might want to think about that.

I feel we have finally come to an understanding on this post. I believe those arguing against formal have never meant Dockers, jeans, t-shirts and such. They have meant they do not wear a gown or a tux and take a little more relaxed view of formal. I might wear the black pants that from a distance look like a long skirt and a sparkly top. Very relaxed, no fuss but looks dressy. Could go all night without having to change due to wanting to be comfortable.

This is exactly what I have been saying. You can go to Formal night,

feel very good about your dress, enjoy the delicious dinner and not worry

you are offending someone in a Tux or Gown.

I must be missing something .. this isn't the argument I have seen in this thread. I also support suits, cocktail dresses etc for formal night, these are even specificaly listed as approved wear by Princess.

What I oppose is people wearing casual clothing to formal night and thinking they have the RIGHT to do so because they paid for the cruise.

Be not afraid to judge a book by its cover (hey -- the publishers spend a lot of money on cover design, including the Potter series). And always judge a wine by its label! And if someone is deliberately crass enough to ignore simple rules of dressing because they wish to impose their lack of taste on others -- give them all a table of their own in a corner. Yes in SF one can eat at many fine non-tourist restaurants in the so called "casual" dress but let me assure you they will be tucked away out of sight of the main dining room view. Tourist Restaurants -- well we neither recommend nor eat there. /Sultan

Actually my arguments have been the following:

1) If someone wants to come to formal night in more relaxed attire I don't care and I don't think anyone else should either. My enjoyment of an evening is not contingent upon others. If the way someone else is dressed is ruining your evening then I think there are bigger problems there than just Princess' enforcement of the dress code.

2) I also don't consider that the people who choose to not dress up are showing me a lack of respect or trying to ruin my evening. Again, if someone feels that way there are much bigger issues going on.

3) I especially do not consider more relaxed attire a reason to look down on anyone or cast aspersions on their character. My enjoyment of my companions is based on what kind of people they are, not what they are wearing.

If no one agrees with me, fine I can live with that.

rippleys,

The point that I and many others have been trying to get across to you is that in this particular situation opinions and likes/dislikes do not matter one bit. There are established acceptable attire on formal night, period. These have been well posted and have not changed significantly in the past 5+ years. Your opinion that it "should" not matter is in this case irrelevant because there is a policy that says it does matter. The way to get your opinion heard is to voice it with Princess CS and failing that vote with your pocket book.

But going on a cruise with policies you know about, and then intentially violating them because YOU disagree with them is selfish, childish and in my belief immoral. By signing on the cruise you agree to the cruiselines policies. This is like someone saying "Well I don't agree that pot should be illegal so I'm going to smoke it anyway".

It doesn't matter if you dont like the policy, the policy exists and you have the choice to show your displeasure by cruising elsewhere.

rippleys,

The point that I and many others have been trying to get across to you is that in this particular situation opinions and likes/dislikes do not matter one bit. There are established acceptable attire on formal night, period. These have been well posted and have not changed significantly in the past 5+ years. Your opinion that it "should" not matter is in this case irrelevant because there is a policy that says it does matter. The way to get your opinion heard is to voice it with Princess CS and failing that vote with your pocket book.

But going on a cruise with policies you know about, and then intentially violating them because YOU disagree with them is selfish, childish and in my belief immoral. By signing on the cruise you agree to the cruiselines policies. This is like someone saying "Well I don't agree that pot should be illegal so I'm going to smoke it anyway".

It doesn't matter if you dont like the policy, the policy exists and you have the choice to show your displeasure by cruising elsewhere.

HEAR! HEAR! - Another Michigander heard from "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" - in in other words - If you cannot abide by the Princess dress requirements - DO NOT - I REPEAT - DO NOT CRUISE WITH PRINCESS - It's that simple!!!

Again - I know the Grammar police are watching - did I do OK Arlene??

Ron

Amen and Right-o. The cruise line’s main concern is the bottom line and stockholder dividends. All those who are not pleased with the Princess policies on formal evenings should send Princess the proper message by taking their money elsewhere. Otherwise, the cruise line will think they are perfectly happy with the product they present.

I think one of the reasons this debate continues is because some people who would like to cruise contrary to the Princess formal policy haven’t even been on a Princess ship and so don’t really know of what we are speaking. Perhaps they don’t realize that even with as much server space that’s taken up here on this debate, the majority of Princess passengers enjoy abiding by the guidelines and have enjoyable evenings on board. The passenger demographic may be a bit different than what they are used to. In which case, they should take some advice from some of us with vast Princess experience, rather than dismissing what we have to say as if it means nothing.

I think it's interesting to see people so committed to the etiquette associated with the dress code, but so removed from the etiquette associated with pointing out and enjoying what is perceived to be other people's foibles.
I think it’s sort of a two way street, right? Isn’t it those who aren’t looking for formal evenings that are throwing the first stone? Sometimes you gotta protect yourself.

This is fundamentally a conversation about etiquette, and true etiquette does not permit criticizing, staring, tattling or returning stones any more than it permits dressing improperly for an occasion.

In fact, pointing out a faux pas is the more (some would say most) egregious of the etiquette violations. If we cannot play nicely when others violate etiquette, our etiquette is no better than theirs.

I get dressed up for formal night because I went to. I don't care if you don't. Your not dressing does in no way RUIN my dinner or the rest of the evening.

You can sit at my table. Life is to short to worry about what you are wearing.

For all you out there who say someone not dresssing ruins their dinner, sorry but you need help if something like that ruins your dinner.

For all the ladies who said they wear dressy tops and pants, that's a no no. Princess site, Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies, I don t see dressy pants or silk pants.

This is too funny. Besides the fact that the dress code is "suggested" the one thing we have enjoyed about cruising on Princess is PC dining - being stuck with some of the folks posting here every night of the cruise would be enough to make me quit cruising. But at least they would look "grand" on formal nights....

It should be interesting to see, down the road what options Princess will

offer their casual cruisers. As cruising is becoming more and more popular

and especially with the younger crowd, I would think they would entertain

the idea of a separate casual dining room, thus offering a alternative to

Horizon Court. And a dining room that would serve everything being served

in the formal dining rooms.

I must be missing something .. this isn't the argument I have seen in this thread. I also support suits, cocktail dresses etc for formal night, these are even specificaly listed as approved wear by Princess.

What I oppose is people wearing casual clothing to formal night and thinking they have the RIGHT to do so because they paid for the cruise.

OK, what have you witnessed, other then the obvious, ie, jeans, t-shirts, shorts especially for women, As I said men are easy, you either have a jacket and tie on or you do not. After all of this debating, where do you draw the line, between acceptable and something you would report.

Really? Failing to dress up on formal night is immoral?

Like I said....getting bent out of shape about whether other people dress up indicates that there are way more problems there than Princess' dress code as you illustrate perfectly.

One other point is that you're right. People's opinions and likes or dislikes really do not matter one bit.

Princess may have a policy about how to dress but until they put a policy in place that people are not to be admitted to the dining room unless dressed appropriately. you will have to deal with the vagaries of the public and the maitre de of the ship. While some people are barred from the dining room the vast majority are not (no matter how much tattling goes on) otherwise you guys wouldn't be complaining about it.

Instead of berating me perhaps YOU should vote with YOUR wallet by booking a cruise on a line who respects your right to a formal night atmosphere.

I think one of the reasons this debate continues is because some people who would like to cruise contrary to the Princess formal policy haven’t even been on a Princess ship and so don’t really know of what we are speaking. Perhaps they don’t realize that even with as much server space that’s taken up here on this debate, the majority of Princess passengers enjoy abiding by the guidelines and have enjoyable evenings on board. The passenger demographic may be a bit different than what they are used to. In which case, they should take some advice from some of us with vast Princess experience, rather than dismissing what we have to say as if it means nothing.

Ooohhh so now unless I have cruised Princess I can't speak to the issue properly? And then you wonder why people make comments about your attitude. :rolleyes:

Here's a newsflash!! The issue of dressing up on formal night is a problem on most of the mainstream cruiselines. Princess is not THAT special so don't kid yourself. Go to any of the other boards on CC and you will see that almost every forum on the boards is vociferous about formal night even the dreaded Carnival crowd.

I For all the ladies who said they wear dressy tops and pants, that's a no no. Princess site, Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies, I don t see dressy pants or silk pants.

I have seen many women wearing the dressy or silk pants on formal night.

They look every bit as dressed up as those in a cocktail dress. Women

should wear what flatters them the most.

I have to say that those supporting formal have not come accross as just wanting to be helpful. Using extra big fonts, is a way of screaming the written word, telling people to change cruise lines, when they have already stated they love Princess, is in my mind rude.

I would think if this was a really big issue, I would have noticed inappropriate attire on one of my fifteen cruises. Honestly, I cannot recall ever seeing anyone dressed in such a casual manner as to get my attention. I guess, I am just to busy enjoying my cruise and having quality time with my husband.

That there are people who do pay that close attention to dress and even report those they feel have not dressed appropriately, is a bit scary.

Really? Failing to dress up on formal night is immoral?

Like I said....getting bent out of shape about whether other people dress up indicates that there are way more problems there than Princess' dress code as you illustrate perfectly.

One other point is that you're right. People's opinions and likes or dislikes really do not matter one bit.

Oh, baby! I'm immoral now. :)

All this stuff about formal vs. informal. Personally, I think that as long as you make an attempt to respect the "suggested" dress code for the evening, no one will bother you. You'll breeze right into the dining room, where your waiter will be waiting with a smile, holding out your chair for you. I'd be willing to bet that the only way you would be turned away ... and the only time I've seen people turned away ... is when they were dressed TOTALLY inappropriately, like a denim jacket, jeans, and flip flops. Even then, I didn't judge them. Perhaps they didn't realize it was formal night? I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. But even in those cases, the matter was handled very quietly and very discretely. I'm sure they were politely directed to the Horizon Court where they could enjoy a perfectly good dinner.

I routinely wear a dark pair of pants on formal night, with a dark (black) blazer. Then I put on a nice colorful blouse underneath that. I have never had a problem. Of course, there were others who chose to wear gowns and tuxes, and I've even dined at the same table with some of those people. On one cruise I was traveling with another couple who are good friends. The wife is a local Chicago radio personality who is a business associate as well as a friend. Just like she said, "you wear whatever makes you comfortable, dear." I don't think she felt the slightest bit of discomfort sitting next to me in her elaborate gown, with diamonds dripping off her fingers. We enjoyed each other's company immensely.

If someone is going to allow how another passenger is dressed to ruin their cruise experience, then as far as I'm concerned that is just a shame for them.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think you have to be near 40 or over to enjoy formal nights
:confused:

Over 40? What gives you that idea?? My daughter is 23 and is so looking forward to formal night that she now has 3 evening gowns to take with (problem is....we only have TWO formal nights :D ).

I think you have to be near 40 or over to enjoy formal nights. I did it last cruise and am probably doing it on my upcoming cruise. ONLY because it's a big family cruise and I don't wanna miss out spending time with them.

That is ridiculous are you suggesting that only people over 40 enjoy formal nights?

My DH and I are in are late 20's early 30's and are friends range from mid 20's to mid 30's - we all LOVE formal nights and all love to dress for them. DH is insisting on bringing his tux. Most of us have to wear suits either every day or frequently for work and we do like to dress casually when we are home but formal nights are an opportunity to get dressed up and go out.

I will say that although I could care less if people can't be bothered to dress formally it is just another example of how casual society is becoming - yes it is disappointing to get dressed up and see others wearing casual clothing - but it certainly doesn't ruin my evening.

rippleys,

Perhaps you could define "immoral". If you see someone that violates the dress code, you'd better keep your eye on them, because you never know what kind of illegal or immoral behavior will follow.

The thing that scares me about all of this casual cruising is that we soon will be on a ship, where you BUY your McDonald's or Burger King dinner, to eat in your shorts, while lazing around somewhere. Perhaps the cruisers that wish to sail in such a casual manner would check out the new Easy Cruise cruises that are now running a ship in the Caribbean, and have at least one in the Mediterranean as well. The only stipulation on those ships is that you have to cruise for at least two nights. No formal dinners, no dressing up, no shows, etc..........just a "do your own thing" cruise.

Check it out: http://www.easycruise.com/

I was on a RCI cruise on Adventure of the Seas, and there was a male - mid 20s - at the table next to us, on formal night, with a baseball cap, cut offs, and listening to an IPOD. I would suggest that those that wished to be very casual in the dining room investigate that particular ship. "Anything Goes" seems to be the watchword there.

It beats me why anyone who doesn't like the package that Princess provides, would want to book on Princess. We don't cruise on various all inclusive lines because we don't want to pay for everyone else's booze as we don't drink much, we don't want to cruise on the "Wind" sailing ships because they are more casual than we enjoy, we don't want to cruise on some very upscale ships because they are more than we wish to pay, and we don't enjoy some ships because of where they port. Everyone has choices.

There has got to be a ship, or a cruise line, that meets everyone's expectations..........they just aren't all the same line or ship.

Archived