Am I the only one who'd love to cruise without formal night?

josassoc

"But, it is my vacation...and I'd love to be able to relax and forego the dress and heels for a week."

If one doesn't care for dressing for the dining room, an acceptable alternative might be Kruiselines Of America. :rolleyes:

Just to keep this going and drive some of you crazy...

Stoneharborlady,

On our last cruise (Sapphire to Alaska), I wore an one-piece pants crepy black pants suit to one of the formal nights (bought it for my very first cruise and occasionally use it for subsequent cruises). The other formal night, I wore a knee-length dress with a flower print (I'm looking at our photo at the Captain's Circle Party taken with the captain). Hubby was wearing a blue dress shirt (took off the jacket for the photo) with his suit and tie -- kinda like what he wears to work. I'm just not a glitzy person.

It is not a horrible situation. There are a few people who whine about it on every forum. The horrible situation is in their mind. When you get on the ships, and I have been on a lot of them, it is not a horrible situation. Most people comply with the dress request on formal night and people are standing in line to get formal pictures taken.

I was being sarcastic about the horrible situation. :rolleyes:

Round and round she goes…where she’ll stop – well the only one who knows is the one who can predict when we will all acquiesce to totally casual cruising. Look folks – the question – was the original poster the only one who’d like to cruise without formal nights – has been answered. No, the original poster is not the only person – and the cruise lines, recognizing this, have offered up casual alternatives for those who prefer not to be involved with formal nights. Any attempt at justifying the purchase of a cruise with formal nights where one doesn’t want to participate and doesn’t want to take advantage of the casual alternatives that the cruise line offers to MAKE YOU HAPPY, is just being ludicrous. No amount of postulating about how others feel, how the cruise line feels, how immoral or how horrible a situation this is will change anything. The cruise lines understand the bottom line – if you don’t want to buy something you don’t want, go buy something elsewhere. Maybe when the 1% of you who refuse to be involved in formal evenings and yet complain about the fact that you can’t be involved with formal evenings defect to other cruise lines, Princess will feel the pinch and change their policies...then again, maybe 1% isn't enough for them to notice. In the meantime, stop acting like spoiled children and follow the guidelines. Supposedly, as adults we are supposed to be able to do such a thing. I personally find it kind of scary that as grown adults we can't set a better example for our children. While we only speak here of cruises and two formal evenings a week, the level of dissent makes me wonder what other guidelines we don't really give a hoot about and similarily disregard.

And yes, as much as some consider it a breach of etiquette, I would mention to a Head Waiter if I noticed that casual dressers were allowed into the dining room on a formal evening. Call it tattling if you like, but it’s a breach of the on-board guidelines and disrespectful of the type of cruise experience I researched and purchased. I’d also tattle if I saw someone with their child sitting on a deck railing, or if I saw someone throwing cigarette butts into the water…likewise, I’d congratulate any Head Waiter who properly enforces the dress guidelines at the dining room. That’s what I paid for.

I’d also tattle if I saw someone with their child sitting on a deck railing, or if I saw someone throwing cigarette butts into the water

Wow - talk about your "apples and oranges." These are safety issues.

So you equate dressing down with endangering lives? :eek:

And yes, as much as some consider it a breach of etiquette, I would mention to a Head Waiter if I noticed that casual dressers were allowed into the dining room on a formal evening. Call it tattling if you like, but it’s a breach of the on-board guidelines

If you aren't willing to respect the etiquette involved with regard to pointing out other people's faux pas, I'm not quite sure why you are so strident in insistenting that others must respect the etiquette with regards to dress. Etiquette considers your own actions at least equivalent to those which you clearly do not condone.

By the way, the wait staff (or so we've been told) is aware of who is dressing 'up-to-snuff' and who is not and are busy doling out their own silent punishment. You are not providing the Head Waiter with any information that he does not already have, and that he has not already acted upon (or so we've been told.)

Maybe when the 1% of you who refuse to be involved in formal evenings and yet complain about the fact that you can’t be involved with formal evenings defect to other cruise lines, Princess will feel the pinch and change their policies...then again, maybe 1% isn't enough for them to notice.

Apparently they have noticed that 1% enough that they won't promise to always enforce their polices...If they ever make formal night optional is there any doubt that more than 1% will decide to dress casually?..Let Princess give it a try and see how important formal night really is on a mass market cruise line.

Round and round she goes…where she’ll stop – well the only one who knows is the one who can predict when we will all acquiesce to totally casual cruising. Look folks – the question – was the original poster the only one who’d like to cruise without formal nights – has been answered. No, the original poster is not the only person – and the cruise lines, recognizing this, have offered up casual alternatives for those who prefer not to be involved with formal nights. Any attempt at justifying the purchase of a cruise with formal nights where one doesn’t want to participate and doesn’t want to take advantage of the casual alternatives that the cruise line offers to MAKE YOU HAPPY, is just being ludicrous. No amount of postulating about how others feel, how the cruise line feels, how immoral or how horrible a situation this is will change anything. The cruise lines understand the bottom line – if you don’t want to buy something you don’t want, go buy something elsewhere. Maybe when the 1% of you who refuse to be involved in formal evenings and yet complain about the fact that you can’t be involved with formal evenings defect to other cruise lines, Princess will feel the pinch and change their policies...then again, maybe 1% isn't enough for them to notice. In the meantime, stop acting like spoiled children and follow the guidelines. Supposedly, as adults we are supposed to be able to do such a thing. I personally find it kind of scary that as grown adults we can't set a better example for our children. While we only speak here of cruises and two formal evenings a week, the level of dissent makes me wonder what other guidelines we don't really give a hoot about and similarily disregard.

And yes, as much as some consider it a breach of etiquette, I would mention to a Head Waiter if I noticed that casual dressers were allowed into the dining room on a formal evening. Call it tattling if you like, but it’s a breach of the on-board guidelines and disrespectful of the type of cruise experience I researched and purchased. I’d also tattle if I saw someone with their child sitting on a deck railing, or if I saw someone throwing cigarette butts into the water…likewise, I’d congratulate any Head Waiter who properly enforces the dress guidelines at the dining room. That’s what I paid for.

The only people acting like spoiled children on this thread are the ones berating people because they are not getting their own way in how people are dressed and then brag about "tattling" to the maitre de about the way people are dressed.

All this discussion is irrelevant if Princess is not enforcing the dress "code."

On our Princess cruise' date=' they did not enforce the "rule."

I think formal night is going the way of white gloves and hats for women. (Remember when no "lady" would leave the house without her hat and gloves?)

In the cruise world, too - the times - [i']they are a changing[/i]. (Correct me if you wish - I can't remember the exact quote.)

What do you mean irrelevant ? You mean if there isn't a "likely" fear that you will be caught that it is ok to violate rules ? What a silly notion.

The only people acting like spoiled children on this thread are the ones berating people because they are not getting their own way in how people are dressed and then brag about "tattling" to the maitre de about the way people are dressed.

Guh .. this has nothing to do with people "getting their way" and you know it.

There are established guidelines that you are aware of for formal night correct ? So why is it you feel you should be allowed to wear oh say slacks and a shirt (had to pick something for examples sake) to the dining room when the guidelines are very clear that they forbid it ? Why do you think that what _YOU_ want permits you to violate the cruislines clearly expressed intentions and guidelines ?

While you will clearly never get it, that is being selfish. This isn't about what "we" want vs what "you" want. Now if there were no established guidelines then your comments would be entirely correct that we were trying to force OUR views onto you. But that is not the case. Princess has clearly established formal guidelines. What you want to wear does not matter, what I want to wear does not matter. If you want to eat in the dining room on formal night, you follow the cruise line's requirements .. period.

Wow - talk about your "apples and oranges." These are safety issues.

So you equate dressing down with endangering lives? :eek:

No – I equate it with “tattling” and I’m sure the parent with the child on the rail or the person who threw the cigarette butt over the side would think my taking action childish…perhaps not the best examples' date=' but hopefully you now understand my point. [/font']
If you aren't willing to respect the etiquette involved with regard to pointing out other people's faux pas, I'm not quite sure why you are so strident in insistenting that others must respect the etiquette with regards to dress. Etiquette considers your own actions at least equivalent to those which you clearly do not condone.
So your suggestion then is that I keep my mouth shut? Yes, I’m sure the staff notices who is up to snuff and takes their own action. I want the staff to know that I notice as well. There’s a big difference between an employee noticing and commenting on something wrong and a customer doing the same thing. I don't buy that I'm disregarding etiquette just because I expect a certain standard of cruise experience and I say something when that standard is not met. You would do the same if your veal was tough, if your room steward was rude or if the no smoking areas were violated.
Let Princess give it a try and see how important formal night really is on a mass market cruise line.
Well now we’re circling back to the point of this whole topic. Other cruise lines have already given it a try and offer causal cruising. Princess offers casual alternatives to formal night…isn’t that enough? Why spoil one of the few cruising traditions that are left? Is it because formal nights are so bad, or is there just a vendetta that needs to be settled? I’m sure that when enough people complain about having to dress for formal night, Princess might consider doing something else. In the meantime, on board experience doesn’t support the vocal minority posting here on this board. I think you’ll have to strengthen your ranks before Princess makes changes in the direction of casual cruising.

And for the record, I don’t brag about tattling. There are posters here who wanted to know the details of my experience and when I posted them, those details were twisted to facilitate their argument. Whether or not I tattle – and I think I kind of like that word - has nothing to with the fact that breaching the dress guidelines is wrong.

If you want to eat in the dining room on formal night, you follow the cruise line's requirements .. period.
My hero… :D

What I’m about to suggest may be considered as sacrilegious by some, but here goes.

If one has real problems with wanting to “get dressed up” i.e. suit & tie or tux; slacks v. jeans, might I suggest a vacation in Hawaii. No – I don’t mean a cruise – I mean a land vacation. About 18 months ago (in Feb.) DW and I went to Honolulu for a couple of days followed by a week in Maui. It was absolutely wonderful. I put on my shorts in route somewhere over the Pacific Ocean, and did not need to take then off again till we were headed home, somewhere east of San Francisco.

I called ahead to check, because we really like “fine dinning” and the dress code was – at most – shorts and shirt with a collar AND sleeves. It was delicious, and at least equal to anything we’ve had on a ship. The (adult) pool at the Fairmont on Maui was better than anything I’ve ever experienced. We could have had 5 chairs and 10 towels each, no sweat, and the place was sold out. Our suite and balcony were many times the size of anything we’ve ever had, or hope to have on a ship (duh). We rented a convertible and went on snorkeling and whale watching excursions, I played golf, she shopped, etc. Everything we might do on a cruise, but with very relaxed dress codes.

It was just a wonderful and relaxing experience. So, at the risk of setting off a wild barrage of replies, let me respectfully suggest that if that is what you want on your trip, perhaps you should give that some consideration.

So your suggestion then is that I keep my mouth shut? Yes, I’m sure the staff notices who is up to snuff and takes their own action.

That is what etiquette requires. Whether you respect the etiquette or not is entirely up to you.

I don't buy that I'm disregarding etiquette

That's true of virtually anyone who disregards etiquette. The rest know better, but choose to disregard it, anyway.

If one has real problems with wanting to “get dressed up” i.e. suit & tie or tux; slacks v. jeans' date=' might I suggest a vacation in Hawaii. No – I don’t mean a cruise – I mean a land vacation. .[/quote']

I think that’s an excellent suggestion…and it’s even available as a casual cruise destination via Pride of Aloha and Pride of America over at NCL if one has to be on a ship.

That is what etiquette requires. Whether you respect the etiquette or not is entirely up to you.
We must be reading different versions of Emily Post. I cannot agree that good social manners require that some one turn away from a wrong and act like it didn’t exist. Besides, if the casual dressers showed proper social etiquette, I wouldn’t have to tattle would I? Wait – I know I don’t HAVE to tattle – but I prefer to get what I paid for and don’t see any breach of social etiquette by pointing out when I don’t. Just like you would if your veal was tough.

Guh .. this has nothing to do with people "getting their way" and you know it.

There are established guidelines that you are aware of for formal night correct ? So why is it you feel you should be allowed to wear oh say slacks and a shirt (had to pick something for examples sake) to the dining room when the guidelines are very clear that they forbid it ? Why do you think that what _YOU_ want permits you to violate the cruislines clearly expressed intentions and guidelines ?

While you will clearly never get it, that is being selfish. This isn't about what "we" want vs what "you" want. Now if there were no established guidelines then your comments would be entirely correct that we were trying to force OUR views onto you. But that is not the case. Princess has clearly established formal guidelines. What you want to wear does not matter, what I want to wear does not matter. If you want to eat in the dining room on formal night, you follow the cruise line's requirements .. period.

Again....you don't get it, it's not selfish it's realistic. Princess allows people who are not appropriately dressed into the dining rooms in spite of your claim about their "clearly established formal guidelines". Obviously if you want to eat in the dining room on formal night you do NOT need to follow the cruise line's requirements....period.

They want you to come formal

To not is considered immoral

Don't want to miss the lobster

Or hear, How much did those jeans cost her

So put on the gown and the tux

Don't have to spend a lot of bucks

You can place a bid on E-bay

to avoid having to eat in the buffet

If you see beyond the clothes on my frame

You might see, we really are all the same

Just trying to have a good time

On this wonderful cruise line

You seem to say that because you prefer not to abide by the published guidelines, and know from actual experience that you can get away with it, that makes it OK.

I used to feel the same way, and act the same way on many occasions. That was until I had a physical problem, and found all of the handicapped parking places filled with able bodied folks that thought it was OK, as they would only be in the store for a few minutes, and could get back to their cars before a ticket would be issued. In other words – or by your standards – they could get away with it, and rationalize it, so that made it OK. So I used my crutches from the back of the lot. Ever try to hold an umbrella and crutches at the same time?

Sometimes it’s the principle, sometimes it’s the practical, and sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between the two.

While I may tolerate ill mannered and ill behaved individuals, that does not mean I endorse or encourage that behavior.

Again....you don't get it, it's not selfish it's realistic. Princess allows people who are not appropriately dressed into the dining rooms in spite of your claim about their "clearly established formal guidelines". Obviously if you want to eat in the dining room on formal night you do NOT need to follow the cruise line's requirements....period.

Not to belabor the point - but - you say that Princess allows people to bend the dress rules - How do you know this - your signature shows that your first Princess cruise is next month??

Ron

That's true of virtually anyone who disregards etiquette. The rest know better, but choose to disregard it, anyway.

It would be poor manners to make a fuss directly with the individual in question. It is not a breach of etiquette to make a comment to the Maitre d' that proper enforcement of the evening's dress would be considered a good thing. That seems to be the center of this entire debate - the lack of enforcement. The solution then, is simple. If you desire and value the concept of formal evenings, make your thoughts known to the people who have responsibility for setting and maintaining those standards. In so doing, we could prevent recurrence of these pointless debates.

Not to belabor the point - but - you say that Princess allows people to bend the dress rules - How do you know this - your signature shows that your first Princess cruise is next month??
Excellent point…one that I made a few pages back, but seemed to be ignored. But to follow your point, it is being made to sound here like there is no enforcement of the dress guidelines at the dining room door. This is simply not true, and I’ve seen the guidelines enforced. This is the reason that I pointed out – also a few pages ago – that those who feel it is their right to ignore the dress guidelines might be in for a surprise. Doesn’t happen every time on every ship, but that’s what makes it exciting, doesn't it? :D But the guidelines do not cease to exist just because they are ignored by a few.

Archived