Montevideo - what to do/see/shop?

msclover

Any tips on what to do during our visit in Montevideo?

Our ship will be docked from 2:30 pm to 9pm...so we need to choose what we want to see as we don't have a lot of time!

All kinds of suggestions are welcome :)

Thank you!

The old town is in easy walking distance from the dock. There was a taxi/excursion booth on the dock for explorations further away. Check your ship's excursions to see what's avaialable. None of it appealed to us, but tastes are different.

Thank you Floridiana! I heard about something with wineries but we only have a few options of excursions and none of them includes visiting wineries (I will be on the MSC Magnifica). Do you know if there is any shopping area near the port?

As the name implies this covered market, with some outside places as well, is located across from the port terminal exit. If you want to see and eat Uruguayan style barbequed meats this is the place. I don't know the hours of operation into the evening but it is certainly a very busy place around lunch time. There are also handicrafts, etc. for sale here.

For a shore tour I would recommend a trip to Colonia del Sacramento--the true "old town" of Uruguay.

Yes, the market is really close by. It consists almost entirely of restaurants.

There is a nice craft store right outside the port on your left at the entrance of an information center where you have free internet access and some couches. Ask one of the employees about wine stores. I suspect that the wineries may be too far away from the city for tours.

Across the street you'll find a few more souvenir stores. I did not look whether there were any supermarkets or wine sellers nearby. We walked up the newly renovated pedestrian street, admired the beautiful fassades and wondered when the owners would have enough money to renovate.

It was so early in the morning that the regular stores were not open yet, the ones in the shopping street for the locals.

We were there last March and really liked it! You walk right off the ship, cross thru a little plaza with some nautical artifacts, cross another street, walk thru the security area where your ship card/ID is looked at,cross one more street and you are in the Mercado. It is a huge covered building with numerous restaurants inside. They are all about the barbeque...giant grills that are tilted over coals.Every cut of meat imaginable is being grilled. They start the coals in the morning so by noon the food will be ready. Outside the Mercado are stalls set up with crafts and art work to buy. I found lovely well made leather gloves for less than $12.00 US a pair and some very fine original artwork. I even had my picture taken with the artist whose painting I bought. Try to get Uruguayan pesos before you go. Some places take US $$ but you will get change in pesos. I would suggest that you take a walking tour if offered by your ship. There is the Palacio Salvo( the second tallest building in S.A) to see, the underground mausoleum of General Artigas, Teatro Solis opera house and some fine architecture to see. Our guide took us to a large tree-shaded park where all the pathways were lined with people selling antiques, mate' cups and straws made of leather and silver,gemstones such as amethyst or citrine crystals,and so much more ! The only thing that stopped me from buying too much was the knowledge that I would have to carry it back. My DH and I stopped for the grilled meat at the Mercado on our way back to our ship. The meat was tender and flavorful and the beers are sold by the liter. Oh my goodness we had a fine time! Several of the ships officers and even the matre"d(sp) were enjoying the grilled steaks too. After this late lunch my DH and I walked back to the ship, dropped off our purchases and went right back to grab a couple of seats in the Mercado and just people-watch. I would go back in a heartbeat. You don't indicate your age or interests but I am 63 and did fine on our tour and found the city fascinating.:)

• 4 weeks later...
We were there last March and really liked it! You walk right off the ship, cross thru a little plaza with some nautical artifacts, cross another street, walk thru the security area where your ship card/ID is looked at,cross one more street and you are in the Mercado. It is a huge covered building with numerous restaurants inside. They are all about the barbeque...giant grills that are tilted over coals.Every cut of meat imaginable is being grilled. They start the coals in the morning so by noon the food will be ready. Outside the Mercado are stalls set up with crafts and art work to buy. I found lovely well made leather gloves for less than $12.00 US a pair and some very fine original artwork. I even had my picture taken with the artist whose painting I bought. Try to get Uruguayan pesos before you go. Some places take US $$ but you will get change in pesos. I would suggest that you take a walking tour if offered by your ship. There is the Palacio Salvo( the second tallest building in S.A) to see, the underground mausoleum of General Artigas, Teatro Solis opera house and some fine architecture to see. Our guide took us to a large tree-shaded park where all the pathways were lined with people selling antiques, mate' cups and straws made of leather and silver,gemstones such as amethyst or citrine crystals,and so much more ! The only thing that stopped me from buying too much was the knowledge that I would have to carry it back. My DH and I stopped for the grilled meat at the Mercado on our way back to our ship. The meat was tender and flavorful and the beers are sold by the liter. Oh my goodness we had a fine time! Several of the ships officers and even the matre"d(sp) were enjoying the grilled steaks too. After this late lunch my DH and I walked back to the ship, dropped off our purchases and went right back to grab a couple of seats in the Mercado and just people-watch. I would go back in a heartbeat. You don't indicate your age or interests but I am 63 and did fine on our tour and found the city fascinating.:)

How did you find your guide?

Archived