Spring Break-Galveston or Houston?

osagegal

I am considering a Spring Break cruise out of one of these Texas ports because we can drive there! The Caribbean Princess sails out of Houston & visits Roatan, Belize City & Cozumel. The Navigator of the Seas sails out of Galveston & visits Falmouth, Caymans/Georgetown, & Cozumel. We would be taking our 12 yr old son & the only cruise we've been on is an Alaskan cruise with HAL. We typically go to Cozumel for the week of Spring Break but thought we might change things up! Any advice about these 2 ports, ships or itinerary would be greatly appreciated!

Consider this.

Navigator is getting dry docked right before spring break. Fresh, newer, and adding a flow rider.

Also consider the Carnival Magic. Not much if a carnival guy, but we did it 2 years ago with my son. He loved the water park. Kept him busy all week. The ship was really nice for carnival standards.

Think a 12 year old would be bored to death on Princess!! But if you are looking for a quieter ship and more relaxed time, go on Princess. Carnival and RCCL will be full of kids.

Princess has a very good Kid's Club. I don't think a 12 year old would be bored at all, especially during Spring Break! (We prefer Princess, but we're old fogey's :)!)

That said, Carnival Magic is a really good ship for children, too.

For me it would come down to the price and the port's.

Navigator....I have taken my grands on cruises since they were 2.....the are now 11 and 14 and have 20+ cruises under their belt. They have been on all 3 cruise lines and prefer RCL.....they think there is more to do and I also prefer RCL....followed by Princess....

We booked Navigator Spring Break the day it came out, our cabin has gone up $1,200 per person!

• 3 weeks later...
Think a 12 year old would be bored to death on Princess!! But if you are looking for a quieter ship and more relaxed time, go on Princess. Carnival and RCCL will be full of kids.

Our 13 year old has absolutely loved Princess for many years. 4 fresh water, heated pools, fantastic kid facilities and programs, basketball court, putting course, ping pong and organized contests, events, etc. and lots of other kids his age during spring break, holiday and summer periods.

• 2 weeks later...

During spring break, all the ships leaving from Houston and Galveston will be full of families with kids. The demographics will be the same. You should make the decision based on the itinerary. I vote for Roatan (great beaches and snorkeling), Belize (cave tubing or ruins) and Cozumel.

Also the pizza is better on Princess than RCCI.

We sailed Grand Princess from Galveston three consecutive years. There were @ 500 well behaved kids on board each cruise. There were few special activities to keep them occupied. Navigator or Carnival's Magic would be a better choice for your 12 YO.

BTW - Most Galveston cruises during spring break passengers from Texas and nearby regions and had proper upbringing, so they are naturally well behaved.

Archived