Will they allow my DD to go to lower age group if her bday was days before sailing?

aimathy

We are planning on taking a Mediterranean cruise next July. My DD will turn 6 on July 8th and we sail on the 20th. She has always loved the Aquanauts program and will only have just finished Kindergarten. I can't imagine that the 6-8 group will be a good fit for her. (I doubt many 8 year olds want to be in a group with someone that just finished K!)

I know they are usually strict about the ages, especially for parents looking to put their kids in a higher age group. Do you think they are just as strict if I'm asking them to put her in the 3-5 group? I think my DD will be very happy in the 3-5 group and won't miss a beat there. I think she will probably be very lost with the bigger kids.

I've also heard that their flexibility depends on how busy they are. But not only is it summer (so I think it will be packed) but I've also heard they always sell the boats out now just to sail full. So I guess it will be busy.

Has anyone experienced this and can offer some advice? Thank you!

Let me guess, this is her first week of kindergarten?

Can't really answer your question, but you have a year to decide, relax.

I wouldn't worry about it right now. A lot can change in that time. And since it is currently her first year in elementary school, she is going to grow and mature a lot.

A going-into-1st-grader may not want to be with a bunch of 3 year olds who possibly still wet their pants.

My advice: wait until her birthday and then re-consider this thread. :cool:

A going-into-1st-grader may not want to be with a bunch of 3 year olds who possibly still wet their pants.

That's what I was thinking! She will probably be much happier with the older kids.

I personally have a July birthday, and remember being one of the youngest kids in my class throughout school. Many of my classmates were 6-9 months older than me. I was used to being with slightly older kids. These days it is even worse, because many kids with summer birthdays are held back a year. Your daughter may end up with kids in her class that are FULL YEAR older than her. She will get used to being with slightly older kids too. By the time she finishes K, many of her classmates will be 6.5 - 7 years already! Do you really think she's going to be happy going in with 3 year olds?

Like others have said, she will grow up a lot in K, and you will be amazed at the difference by the time you cruise.

My "baby" starts high school next week. Talk about changes! :eek:

Archived