Oceana, Aurora or Arcadia?

chimaer

Hi, I'm planning on going on a weekend cruise with my sister in law next year. She's never been on one before and would really like to try it. I said I'd go with her as long as it was only a 2 night cruise as I'll be leaving the hubby at home looking after our 4yr old twins and 2yr old so can't really be away longer. I let her choose between Guernsey and Bruges and she wants to see Guernsey.

Anyway there are quite a few going on weekends in May, June, July and August but on different ships. We can make all the dates so I was wondering if you guys might be able to point us to the right one? My SIL is a very picky eater so somewhere she can grab something like a burger for lunch would be great (she doesn't like sandwiches!). On Ventura last year there was Frankie's grill by the pool so something similar on another ship would be great. I'm 28 and she's 25 so a ship where in the evening we can grab some food, go see a show or a comedian then go for a dance somewhere before going to bed would be ideal for us too. Is there one of these ships that would suit us best or are they all pretty much the same?

Also is there anywhere were I can find out the shore excursions before booking? On our Ventura cruise my husband and I did the German occupation excursion and visiting the underground hospital and my sil wants to do that

Does anyone know if there are usually getaway fares on these short cruises? Looked in the brochure and there is no benefit at all in us booking vantage other than we can choose our cabin as it's under 7 days so the benefits aren't included, so we thought we'd chance a getaway as there are loads of dates

Thank you

I have just come back from a mini cruise to Guernsey on the Oceana. We booked getaway which was a good price. I always loved the bigger ships but really liked Oceana and will be going back on her next summer for my holidays.

We always ended up in Le Club at night for a dance. We didn't book any excursions just had a look around the ports ourselves.

Arcadia certainly has a burger bar near one of the pools. Not open in the evenings, as I remember. There's always an evening buffet.

Arcadia's the child-free one out of those three.

You won't be able to see the actual excursions for your particular cruise because they won't have been fixed yet. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor, though, because Guernsey's a small English-speaking island so getting to anywhere from the port will be easay, even if there isn't an excursion.

Hi, I'm planning on going on a weekend cruise with my sister in law next year. She's never been on one before and would really like to try it. I said I'd go with her as long as it was only a 2 night cruise as I'll be leaving the hubby at home looking after our 4yr old twins and 2yr old so can't really be away longer. I let her choose between Guernsey and Bruges and she wants to see Guernsey.

Anyway there are quite a few going on weekends in May, June, July and August but on different ships. We can make all the dates so I was wondering if you guys might be able to point us to the right one? My SIL is a very picky eater so somewhere she can grab something like a burger for lunch would be great (she doesn't like sandwiches!). On Ventura last year there was Frankie's grill by the pool so something similar on another ship would be great. I'm 28 and she's 25 so a ship where in the evening we can grab some food, go see a show or a comedian then go for a dance somewhere before going to bed would be ideal for us too. Is there one of these ships that would suit us best or are they all pretty much the same?

Also is there anywhere were I can find out the shore excursions before booking? On our Ventura cruise my husband and I did the German occupation excursion and visiting the underground hospital and my sil wants to do that

Does anyone know if there are usually getaway fares on these short cruises? Looked in the brochure and there is no benefit at all in us booking vantage other than we can choose our cabin as it's under 7 days so the benefits aren't included, so we thought we'd chance a getaway as there are loads of dates

Thank you

Oceana it is then - enjoy.

There was a public bus which took you all around the coast of the island for £2 and £4 if you wanted to get off and on at different places.

Just beware that on our daily paper in the cabin it said it was euros in Guernsey although I had thought it was £s. Anyway I gets tendered in with just euros and low and behold nowhere would take them. Good job my daughter had brought a £10 note with her, so at least we could have a coffee.:eek:

1 slight word of caution, Guernsey is not that easy to tender into if there is a swell. Often in the past they have had to miss it out. I would say between 10 and 25 % of cruises have to miss it out.

Aurora also has a fast food outlet on the top deck called the sidewalk cafe. I would think Aurora/Oceana would have more life as they cater for families and Would tend to have a younger age range. It very much depends on the passengers on that cruise.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone. I did wonder if Oceana might be the best for us being more lively and a contemporary ship

1 slight word of caution, Guernsey is not that easy to tender into if there is a swell. Often in the past they have had to miss it out. I would say between 10 and 25 % of cruises have to miss it out.

Aurora also has a fast food outlet on the top deck called the sidewalk cafe. I would think Aurora/Oceana would have more life as they cater for families and Would tend to have a younger age range. It very much depends on the passengers on that cruise.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I knew that sometimes you couldn't tender as our Ventura trip last year went to Guernsey but I didn't know the chances were as high as that :confused: Might have a word with her and see what she says. Would be rubbish to only have one destination and not be able to get off

As far as shore excursions are concerned, while the specific excursions won't be available just yet, go to the Destinations section of the P&O website and find Guernsey. Click on it and you'll find a list of typical excursions with full details (including durations etc).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived