Reykjavik horseback riding?

Tybro

I'd like to hear from anyone who has been horseback riding in Reykjavik. How far was it from the city? Where did you ride? Which stable did you use? How did you get there? Was it any good? I've seen the websites for the stables and I would just like to hear from someone who has actually done this in Reykjavik.

Thank you all for your input.

GG

We did it with this company

http://islenskihesturinn.is/

We really enjoyed it and I'd recommend it. We did the 2.5 hour riding tour.

It wasn't that far outside of Reykjavik - they came and picked us up outside our apartment (we weren't on a cruise - you'd have to email and ask about where you can get picked up) and took us there - I don't remember it being that far.

There were about 15 of us. I'd only ridden a couple of times as a child and my husband had never ridden before, and it was fine. They give you instructions then you go on a short trek. I really enjoyed it (my husband found it a little scary at first but ended up enjoying it). If you're an experienced horse rider you may be better going on a longer trek (I think this company also do private tours) as this was mostly (but not all) people who were a bit inexperienced or hadn't been riding for a while.

The horses were delightful and we were shown how to do the tolt (the extra gait Iceland horses have) which was fun.

I hope this helps a bit.

We did it with this company

http://islenskihesturinn.is/

We really enjoyed it and I'd recommend it. We did the 2.5 hour riding tour.

It wasn't that far outside of Reykjavik - they came and picked us up outside our apartment (we weren't on a cruise - you'd have to email and ask about where you can get picked up) and took us there - I don't remember it being that far.

There were about 15 of us. I'd only ridden a couple of times as a child and my husband had never ridden before, and it was fine. They give you instructions then you go on a short trek. I really enjoyed it (my husband found it a little scary at first but ended up enjoying it). If you're an experienced horse rider you may be better going on a longer trek (I think this company also do private tours) as this was mostly (but not all) people who were a bit inexperienced or hadn't been riding for a while.

The horses were delightful and we were shown how to do the tolt (the extra gait Iceland horses have) which was fun.

I hope this helps a bit.

So, out of the 2.5 hours, how long did you actually ride? It sounds like a lot of the 2.5 hours was spent preparing if you only had a short trek. Also wondering about the area you rode in. Where did you go to ride?

Thanks for the info

I can't remember exactly how long the trek was - about 1 hour 30 I think. If you check with the company I'm sure they'll let you know. The time getting to and from the stables isn't counted in the 2 hours 30. Also, as I said, I think you can organise other trips with them as private tours.

We went for a trek nearby the stables - some of it was through volcanic landscape which was quite impressive.

It gets excellent reviews on Tripadvisor if that helps.

Archived