U.S. Travel Advisory and Safety Concerns

BayouBlonde

My son is very worried about my upcoming trip to Mexico via cruise ship. I've tried to convince him that the cruise industry is large enough and valuable enough to ensure the safety of the ports and any areas we will be visiting. I was hoping that his girlfriend would go with us on our next 'girls' cruise in a few months, but he's definitely not agreeable at this point and has said he doesn't even want me going next month. (He even managed to compliment us while saying no, "A group of beautiful blonde ladies traveling alone is like being a huge target.")

His concerns are the recently released travel advisory (which he claims as evidence that Mexico in general is not safe for Americans) and activity of drug cartels. He's an avid news watcher and I'm not. I'm hoping some of you will have some good info, opinions and personal experiences I can use to convince him (or at least support my argument!) Then again, perhaps he's correct and it isn't really safe for us to travel there? Please share your thoughts!

Almost every year, since 2007, I've been going to Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas to the Pueblo Bonito resorts. And we just got back from going to Cozumel and the Costa Maya port in Mahauel on Carnival Dream. I meet many people living where I do in Northeast USA that can't believe I'm not afraid of traveling so much to Mexico. People from the West travel there all the time with a second thought. But we've never felt unsafe. I even traveled by myself to MX with my two kids as a single, divorced mom and it was a perfect vacation!

I LOVE Mexico, especially the Pacific coasts. It's tropical, clear waters, almost always sunny and awesome food and drinks. I doubt your son will encounter any issue coming in on a cruise line because the ships will reroute if there are major problems at any port. Most of the violence is directed at other Mexicans and even those cartels have allegedly invested heavily in tourist areas and resorts, so why would they mess with their own $$$? My 2 cents is the US media puts out these reports about crazy violence in the cities and rural areas to scare people way to try and limit drug cartels powered via money laundering in tourist areas. It's always about $$ anyway.

Anyway, look on TripAdvisor for recent posts from Canadians and Americans who actually live in MX and keep travelers updated in real time. Most of those people are very angry at the travel advisories the US posts and dismiss them as political.

If you look at the State Department's travel advisories, you will see Mexican state by state warnings. As of July 13, 2013, the date of the most recent advisory there were no, repeat no, advisories in effect for the Mexican States of Yucatan and Quintana Roo. These are the states that cruise ships from Galveston stop. We have wintered near Progreso or Tulum for the past nine years Our sons and their families, including grandchildren join us. We would never place them in harms way. They will join us in Progreso this January.

No matter where I travel, I exercise caution, whether it be the US, Mexico or any where else in the world. Come to the Yucatan and enjoy yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

This past November we were on the Triumph out of Galveston to Progreso and Cozumel. Out of our group of six, I was the only one who wasn't apprehensive about getting off the ship in these two ports. Both are perfectly safe, using common sense and being aware of your surroundings. Both are heavily dependent on the tourist trade and know that one bad incident could spoil their source of income. That said, I would no longer go across the border from Texas into Mexico anymore. That used to be safe back in the 60's and 70's, and a fun thing to do, but not these days with the drug cartel problems. That is not the case in Progreso and Cozumel, you'll probably be safer than you would be in any big U.S. city! Lots of expatriates live in Progreso and Cozumel, they wouldn't live there if it wasn't safe. Go on your trip and have a good time! And tell your son not to worry!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived