From St. Thomas - Anybody do the Destination St. John - Guided Shopping Shore Excur

Susie B.

Wondering if anybody has booked the Shore Excursion from St. Thomas (STG4) Destination St. John: Guided Shopping & Leisure Time just to take advantage of the ferry ride over and back. We're experienced St. John travelers on our own but by booking this excursion it appears you could save time since they use a private ferry that picks you up and returns you to very near to where your cruise ship docks in St. Thomas.

The tour description says you'll have 3-3.5 hours on your own. If the tour group leader in St. John doesn't mind if you're not present during the guided shopping portion that could give us another free hour or so.

Wondering if anybody has booked the Shore Excursion from St. Thomas (STG4) Destination St. John: Guided Shopping & Leisure Time just to take advantage of the ferry ride over and back. We're experienced St. John travelers on our own but by booking this excursion it appears you could save time since they use a private ferry that picks you up and returns you to very near to where your cruise ship docks in St. Thomas.

The tour description says you'll have 3-3.5 hours on your own. If the tour group leader in St. John doesn't mind if you're not present during the guided shopping portion that could give us another free hour or so.

We have done this 3 times - as soon as you get to St John you can do whatever you like. We walk outside the docking area and grab a cab to the beach. We have also rented a car on St John.

We do it for the convenience, and not having to worry about time getting the ferry back to Red Hook then an expensive taxi, through traffic, to the port. Parking a rental car in Red Hook is not easy.

Another consideration is where you are docked in St Thomas - it works well from either location.

This is good to know! We want to go to the beach - probably Trunk Bay but possibly Cinnamon. We have some OBC to use up, so I've thought about using it to get to St. John on one of the cruise tours. The only reason I wouldn't is if I thought we could have a lot more time at the beach by doing it ourselves. If this would actually save time - that is great!

It would depend on which dock celebrity will be using on St. Thomas. Our first time when we docked at Havensight it was easy to find a taxi to the ferry at Red Hook.

Our second visit we docked at Crown Bay, which is less used and there were fewer transport options.

P1010774_zps33e8bc74.jpg

We booked the shopping tour for the ferry and were glad we did. Other than the annoying (and dubious) narrative on the way over it was very convenient.

On ferry:

P1010823_zps2f6b4f27.jpg

P1010824_zpsbf8a5d62.jpg

We simply got off near the visitors center and hiked to Honeymoon Beach.

P1010779_zps4bec0335.jpg

P1010778_zps4b6b8ec4.jpg

If its your first time on St. John, I'd recommend Trunk Bay.

There are more photos and details in my Reflection review:

Edited by librarylady19

We did the tour as it met us at the pier and took us there and back....for less than (and less hassle) it would have if we did it on our own.

Two things to remember, the tour over makes one stop at a resort (Marriott?), so know the trip is a tad long. Los it can be quite bumpy, so you might think about taking some anti-nausea meds if you are prone to seasickness.

We left the tour at St John and got someone to take us on an island tour. The guy was very nice and showed us all sorts of fun places. Make sure you try the milkshakes near the ferry......yummy!!!!!

Honeymoon Beach is gorgeous - thanks for the pics! This would be our first time to St. John - so many choices!

If we just go to Trunk Bay, there is a Celebrity tour "St John Beach and Snorkel" that goes to Trunk. It's $67.75, so more money, but then you wouldn't have to even worry about the taxi to and from Trunk Bay.

We have used this excursion twice to get from St. Thomas to St. John. It is a hassle-free way to get there and back. There is a nice small store shopping section along with a couple of restaurants close to the dock. Then we take a cab to the beach.

I do not recall seeing any motorized scooters or wheelchairs on the ferry. The description of the excursion on the Celebrity website might have information on that. As others have said, the 30 minute ride can be a bit choppy. Didn't bother us, but I did see a couple of people who didn't feel well.

St. John's beaches are beautiful and not very crowded.

We always do the Trunk Bay Beach and Snorkel excursion through the ship,when stopping in St Thomas. Truck Bay is the most gorgeous beach we have ever seen. Well worth the price and there is nothing to worry about as far as taxis etc.

We always do the Trunk Bay Beach and Snorkel excursion through the ship,when stopping in St Thomas. Truck Bay is the most gorgeous beach we have ever seen. Well worth the price and there is nothing to worry about as far as taxis etc.

Great to know! Thanks so much!

We do a landing vacation on St John every two years. Trunk Bay is a beautiful beach as are all the north shore beaches on the island. If there is more than one ship in port we stay clear of Trunk Bay because that's where all the ship excursions bring people. My personal favorites are Hawksnest and Maho Bay.

We did the tour as it met us at the pier and took us there and back....for less than (and less hassle) it would have if we did it on our own.

Two things to remember, the tour over makes one stop at a resort (Marriott?), so know the trip is a tad long. Los it can be quite bumpy, so you might think about taking some anti-nausea meds if you are prone to seasickness.

We left the tour at St John and got someone to take us on an island tour. The guy was very nice and showed us all sorts of fun places. Make sure you try the milkshakes near the ferry......yummy!!!!!

My BF and I did one of the other excursions that uses the same ferry. The resort passengers didn't add significant time to the excursion. When we got on, they were already on board. On our way back, we dropped them off first, but the resort is just across the harbor from the cruise ship dock. There were only 10-15 passengers from the resort, so it took less than 5 minutes to dock, get them off the ferry, and get underway again.

I also recommend the milkshake/smoothie place by the ferry dock. My smoothie was so good and so refreshing after spending many hours in the hot Caribbean sun. You also get rum punch on the ferry back.

Comparing them all, STG4 (Destination St. John: Guided Shopping and Leisure Time-$40.75) lasts 6.5 hours, so if you do as you say and take off as soon as the ferry docks in Cruz Bay, it seems like you would have the most time to enjoy St. John on your own using this one. The others (STE8-Beach & Snorkel that goes to Trunk Bay $67.75, STH2-St. John on Your Own-$34.75) are only 4 hours. Even though we'd have to get our own taxi to Trunk Bay and back, it would be worth it I think for the extra 2.5 hours.

Does this sound correct to you all?

Comparing them all, STG4 (Destination St. John: Guided Shopping and Leisure Time-$40.75) lasts 6.5 hours, so if you do as you say and take off as soon as the ferry docks in Cruz Bay, it seems like you would have the most time to enjoy St. John on your own using this one. The others (STE8-Beach & Snorkel that goes to Trunk Bay $67.75, STH2-St. John on Your Own-$34.75) are only 4 hours. Even though we'd have to get our own taxi to Trunk Bay and back, it would be worth it I think for the extra 2.5 hours.

Does this sound correct to you all?

Yes, I agree, the STG4 makes the most sense. When I called the Shore-X desk at Celebrity that is the one the rep said she recommended.

Lots of good info here - thanks everyone!

If you pick the guided shopping tour, can you skip the shopping aspect so as to have more time on your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can book any of the tours and skip the tour part to have more free time on the island.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Forums mobile app

You can book any of the tours and skip the tour part to have more free time on the island.

Thanks! Sounds great! At $40, can't be beat! Between cabs and ferries, we spent more doing it on our own a few years ago! We also cut it very close getting back to the ship!

Has anyone ever done this tour?

Destination St. John: Coastal Cruise of National Park Beaches (STL2)

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

OVERVIEW: Enjoy a guided coastal cruise of St. John before having time to explore the island at your own pace. A good combination tour if you'd like to see the beauty of St. John from the water before heading off on an adventure of your choice.HIGHLIGHTS: Scenic ferry ride to and from St. John. See thousands of acres of unspoiled National Park highlights. Approximately 3 to 3.5 hours of independent exploration / shopping.NOTES: This tour runs in conjunction with STG3, STG4 & STG5 so you will travel to and from St. John with guests booked on these other tours.

It is $40.75. I know it takes the same ferry that the tours you are all talking about,

but does this one have an additional boat ride around the island?

Thank you

I will be taking this tour on Dec. 20th Equinox cruise. Have been to St. John on our own but it is quite hectic taking a cab to Red Hook and back! The price is reasonable being that it would cost at least $50 to get to Red Hook and back to the ship. Garlicruisers!!

Has anyone ever done this tour?

Destination St. John: Coastal Cruise of National Park Beaches (STL2)

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

OVERVIEW: Enjoy a guided coastal cruise of St. John before having time to explore the island at your own pace. A good combination tour if you'd like to see the beauty of St. John from the water before heading off on an adventure of your choice.HIGHLIGHTS: Scenic ferry ride to and from St. John. See thousands of acres of unspoiled National Park highlights. Approximately 3 to 3.5 hours of independent exploration / shopping.NOTES: This tour runs in conjunction with STG3, STG4 & STG5 so you will travel to and from St. John with guests booked on these other tours.

It is $40.75. I know it takes the same ferry that the tours you are all talking about,

but does this one have an additional boat ride around the island?

Thank you

I took this tour. You stay on the ferry and they point out several beaches and talk about the history of St. John. You only go as far as Trunk Bay, so it's fairly short (I think about 30 minutes or so.)

It was close.... Sad someone missed out on shoe shopping. :(;):D

Hahaha!!! Nauti, that was an eventful day, but the one I'm talking about was when Cyn and I trekked to St. John on our own. The shoe shopping trip was on Tobago. That was cutting it close, as well!