From St. Thomas - Anybody do the Destination St. John - Guided Shopping Shore Excur

Susie B.

I took this tour. You stay on the ferry and they point out several beaches and talk about the history of St. John. You only go as far as Trunk Bay, so it's fairly short (I think about 30 minutes or so.)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Forums mobile app

I was looking at this one. Does it actually leave you a Trunk Bay or ??? I guess I'm wondering where they leave you to do the 3 to 3.5 hours of your own exploring?

Thanks!

I was looking at this one. Does it actually leave you a Trunk Bay or ??? I guess I'm wondering where they leave you to do the 3 to 3.5 hours of your own exploring?

Thanks!

They'll take you back to the ferry dock where they dropped off the other tours.

I was on the same excursion as VirginiaLucy. Have done it three times now. Best way to spend the day on St. John. If you have never done a land tour there that can be fun IF you get a good guide. I am all about the beach and the water now so a taxi to Trunk Bay for our group works great. Also great little place near the dock to get back that makes FANTASTIC margaritas which you can get in a to go cup if you are running late.:D

Hahaha!!! Nauti, that was an eventful day, but the one I'm talking about was when Cyn and I trekked to St. John on our own. The shoe shopping trip was on Tobago. That was cutting it close, as well!

That was an eventful day to say the least.... One of the best excursions we've been on...;) Tons of fun!!!

I organized one to St John one year, snorkeling drinks included) cat, just can't remember it. :o:o:D

We have used this excursion twice to get from St. Thomas to St. John. It is a hassle-free way to get there and back. There is a nice small store shopping section along with a couple of restaurants close to the dock. Then we take a cab to the beach

What is the cost of a taxi from the ferry landing to Trunk Bay and are they readily available for the ride back?

It would depend on which dock celebrity will be using on St. Thomas. Our first time when we docked at Havensight it was easy to find a taxi to the ferry at Red Hook.

Our second visit we docked at Crown Bay, which is less used and there were fewer transport options.

P1010774_zps33e8bc74.jpg

We booked the shopping tour for the ferry and were glad we did. Other than the annoying (and dubious) narrative on the way over it was very convenient.

On ferry:

P1010823_zps2f6b4f27.jpg

P1010824_zpsbf8a5d62.jpg

We simply got off near the visitors center and hiked to Honeymoon Beach.

P1010779_zps4bec0335.jpg

P1010778_zps4b6b8ec4.jpg

If its your first time on St. John, I'd recommend Trunk Bay.

There are more photos and details in my Reflection review:

Hi. How long does it take to get to honeymoon bay and how do you get there?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

What is the cost of a taxi from the ferry landing to Trunk Bay and are they readily available for the ride back?

This site has the taxi rates. http://www.**********/stjohn/getting_around_stj/taxi.php

The ferry from St. Thomas docks at Cruz Bay on St. John. If you have 2 people, it's $6 pp one-way from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay. So, $24 total for the taxi round-trip. Then it's $4 pp entrance fee to Trunk Bay.

According to this site, there is a taxi stand area at Trunk Bay where they wait for passengers needing a return trip. I can't confirm though - I plan to try it in January!

I took this tour. You stay on the ferry and they point out several beaches and talk about the history of St. John. You only go as far as Trunk Bay, so it's fairly short (I think about 30 minutes or so.)

Thank you. We may be doing this in Dec.

We took the St. John excursion and the island is beautiful. We are so happy we went. We will go back again. However, we did not like the boat we were on. We felt unsafe. The tropical heavy rain was upon us as we went to St. John and also when we returned. Passengers were crammed inside or were soaked outside. That was very unpleasant. The next time we will go on our own. The boat also stopped by an RCL ship and picked up passengers to go on the same excursion. I just wanted you to know our experience.

• 3 weeks later...
Comparing them all, STG4 (Destination St. John: Guided Shopping and Leisure Time-$40.75) lasts 6.5 hours, so if you do as you say and take off as soon as the ferry docks in Cruz Bay, it seems like you would have the most time to enjoy St. John on your own using this one. The others (STE8-Beach & Snorkel that goes to Trunk Bay $67.75, STH2-St. John on Your Own-$34.75) are only 4 hours. Even though we'd have to get our own taxi to Trunk Bay and back, it would be worth it I think for the extra 2.5 hours.

Does this sound correct to you all?

It doesn't matter which one you take, and if people in your party end up having to take one of the other ones that doesn't matter either because everyone can get off the ferry as soon as it docks and everyone is required to be back at the ferry at the same time to leave.

• 2 weeks later...
I just received an email from Celebrity canceling out shore excursion STG4 -the shopping excursion due to it no longer being offered. Bummer!

Oh no! I just signed on to my reservation excursion options and I don't see it anymore. I still see the short tours going to St. John that are only 4 hours long - STE8 (beach/snorkel), STH2 (on your own), ST82 (half day champagne cat). They still have STL8 - the coastal cruise that is 6.5 hours, but would they let you off at Cruz Bay? I don't want to cruise around and just look at St. John! They also have a St. John volunteerism tour - STG5 that is 6.5 hours, but I would feel bad signing up for it and not doing the volunteer work.

Dang - I just want to use my extra OBC for the trip there and back, but may have to just do it on my own. Those 4 hour tours only give you 2 hours on St. John and by the time you taxi to a beach and back, it's not enough time. :(

Self Explore St. John-ST03 seems to be the replacement for STG4 and perfect for doing your own thing on St.John.

I just looked again, and ST03 isn't in my list of excursions that are available. I'm on the Summit in January? Where did you find it?

Sorry, I didn't see the other part of your reply. We are on the Reflection next month and it is listed as an excursion.

Thanks for the information. I'll keep checking back. Hopefully they will add it as an option for us as well! Enjoy your cruise next month. Surely the U.S. Government will have things back open in plenty of time.

:( Just got off the phone with Celebrity excursions. She said ST03 is not being offered on my cruise in January. Neither is STG4. She had no explanation but said ST03 will not be added as all excursions are booked 6 months out and if it's not there now, it won't be an option for us. I told her ST03 was a new one, but she said not every excursion is offered for every cruise - that maybe the tour operator just wasn't working that week or something.

Guess we'll be doing St. John really on our own and I'll think of some other way to use our OBC.

Oh, and for those that might not have heard, I see that St. John beaches are open.

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/local-news/2013/10/06/vi-national-park-beaches-open

:( Just got off the phone with Celebrity excursions. She said ST03 is not being offered on my cruise in January. Neither is STG4. She had no explanation but said ST03 will not be added as all excursions are booked 6 months out and if it's not there now, it won't be an option for us. I told her ST03 was a new one, but she said not every excursion is offered for every cruise - that maybe the tour operator just wasn't working that week or something.

Guess we'll be doing St. John really on our own and I'll think of some other way to use our OBC.

Oh, and for those that might not have heard, I see that St. John beaches are open.

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/local-news/2013/10/06/vi-national-park-beaches-open

Carol,

We are on the Reflection the week after your cruise, and our original STG St John shopping tour was also cancelled. I ended up booking STL2-Destination St John Coastal Cruise for the same price. It lists RT transportation, short coastal cruise, and 3-3 1/2 hours of private time. You may want to consider this option.

Carol

I ended up booking STL2-Destination St John Coastal Cruise for the same price. It lists RT transportation, short coastal cruise, and 3-3 1/2 hours of private time. You may want to consider this option.

Did this tour on RCCL and enjoyed it very much. Really good rum punch served on the trip back;)