Jewel Adventure to Alaska

Shayhooper

The tour itself lasted about 2 hours but it felt like it was only 30 minutes or so. My one piece of advice, other than to do this tour, is to put down your camera and actually look at the animals. When I left I felt like I didn't get to see them as much as I would have liked because I was so busy trying to get pictures.

Sadly we all climbed back on the bus where we had a sack lunch that really wasn't a lunch but a combination of snacks. It was enough that once Callie was full she conked out laying on my lap even with all the bumps of the bus. Tom continued his talk on the way back and when we arrived a bit before the ferry he took an impromptu extra tour through Haines. My only regret for this day is that in the confusion of getting a sleepy Callie off the bus and making sure we had everything I forgot to tip him. I need to send a check to rectify that mistake.

The ferry ride back had the same young man but this time he didn't speak much as he knew that everyone was exhausted. It was a long day and his insight into the mood of group was appreciated. Once back in Skagway we to walk back to the ship in lieu of talking the shuttle. Really it isn't a long distance and it felt good to stretch our legs for a bit. We encountered our first line to get back on the ship but we were there for maybe 15 minutes.

Some of the scenery from the ferry:

null_zpsc7af181e.jpg

Once back on ship we rested for a bit then dinner at Blue Lagoon since we simply were not up for a long meal with a crowd. The original plan was to relax and turn in early but Callie wanted to go to the Kids Club for pirate night. With Callie being entertained Brian, Colby and I hit the early comedy / magic show. Jean Pierre Parent was the entertainer and he was a mix of impromptu comedy and magic that included a few people from the crowd. Seriously funny guy. After the show we picked up Callie in her pirate make up (why I don't have picture of it is beyond me) and we all went to bed. The 3 shore days were so busy and we were exhausted!

The next day was a very much needed day at sea. Colby slept in while Brian, Callie, and I had breakfast at the Great Outdoors. After, even though it was chilly and wet, the three of us decided to check out the pools. Brian and I got in the hot but really was mildly warm tub by the kids pool and Callie entertained herself going up and down the slide in the kids pool. We then took advantage of the empty large slide and spent about 30 minutes going down that one. We dragged a reluctant Callie back to the room, met up with Colby then had lunch at the buffet.

After a nap for all of us, we all went our separate ways. Callie went to the Kids Club for "Circus Day", Colby got a coffee from the Atrium bar, and Brian did the daily Sudoku. It was at this time that we realized that we had serious scheduling conflict. The kids were putting on their circus show at 3:45 but we had promised Herbert and Ingrid that we would meet them for the 4:00 PM martini tasting. This was a HUGE problem. Our solution was to send Colby to the circus to take pictures and we would go to our martini tasting. I know, I know - we are horrible parents but it was a martini tasting. Cheap booze! With Herbert and Ingrid!

The martini tasting was just as wonderful as the one earlier in the week. I wish I could remember all the ones we had but I do know we had Lemon Drops, Midori martini, and two other ones. We wisely opted to not participate in the trivia questions so that we didn't have to drink woowoo shots. Even without them we were feeling the effects of the martinis. Our time with Herbert and Ingrid went by too quickly and I was sorry that we didn't get to see them again on this trip.

We met up with Colby and Callie (in her tiger make-up) for dinner at Azura which went fine.

Circus show pictures compliments of Colby.

null_zpscf598de6.jpg

null_zps60e4dbd0.jpg

Afterward we took Callie to the kids club because I wanted to go to the Le Cirque Bijou show. Colby wasn't interested so enjoyed some well deserved time to himself while Brian and I went to the show. I'm a bit conflicted about this show. Once again I am incredibly spoiled by having gone to several Cirque du Soleil shows and was expecting something more along those lines. The show had some similarities but featured a lot more dance portions than circus portions. Initially I walked out disappointed but as I think about it more I've changed my mind. Honestly there are limitations to what they can do on a moving ship and what they were able to accomplish was entertaining. For a show that I didn't have to pay extra for, it was fine. Had there been a charge to see it I would feel much differently.

Brian and I parted ways for a bit. He went to get Callie and get her settled down with Colby for the rest of the evening. I had a drink at the Atrium bar then checked our ship account. Grrrrr - the prepaid gratuities that Costco was supposed to take care of were being charged to our account. I was tipsy so I decided to deal with it the next day.

null_zpse31b6f0f.jpg

With Colby and Callie tucked away for the night, Brian and I decided to have some fun. We had a few more drinks at the Fyzz lounge then moved on to the highlight of the evening - the White Hot Party!

We got there right when it started so it was initially slow. We recognized a lot of ship staff dressed up with white clothes and angel wings which was really cool to see. We found a couple seats at the bar, ordered drinks (lemon drop for me and double jack and coke for Brian) and sat back to enjoy the show.

Now this is the point where I should mention that my beloved husband is not much of a drinker. He perhaps has a beer or two once every few months. He simply has never had much of a tolerance for alcohol. He tested those tolerance limits this night. I enjoy a few beers most Friday nights so my tolerance is higher than his but I also pushed those limits as well.

OK, back to the party. The White Hot Party was held at the Spinnaker lounge. The best description I have is that it was one Bunny Hop and Conga Line away from being a very expensive wedding reception with a cash bar.

We enjoyed our first round of drinks while people watching and I should have realized that the 2nd round of drinks with Jello shots was a mistake when my normally reserved husband was dancing in his chair and singing along suggestively to "Blurred Lines."

null_zpsdf6a750f.jpg

null_zpsa0163b1f.jpg

Another round of drinks and the "Cha Cha Shuffle" lured my husband out onto the dance floor. His dancing skills were rewarded with glow stick necklace even though neither one of us were dressed in white.

null_zps6b866ae8.jpg

Now I do have some video of him dancing it up but I won't post it here. I would like to stay married.

I had resolved that I was going to simply sit back to people watch this whole night but even I was coaxed out onto the dance floor for a rousing YMCA dance. My biggest regret of the night (sadly it is not having Colby sit in for us at the kids circus) was when I stepped outside for some air. Apparently during that time "Sexy and I Know It" played and Brian dance enthusiastically to it, complete with the "wiggle wiggle wiggle" portion. Video like that surely would had some future blackmail value.

The rest of the evening is a bit foggy but I do know that I stumbled my way out of there grateful that ship wasn't rocking too much and that we didn't have to drive anywhere.

The next morning started late and painfully for Brian and I at about 9:00 AM. Both Callie and Colby had slept in but Colby was done with watching her so he brought her to our room and went back to bed. Brian immediately got up to throw up (I apparently slept through the first round of this) and I talked Callie into a nice long snuggle in bed while the Advil kicked in. All 3 of us lounged in bed until Callie was getting too restless.

Since I was feeling considerably better than Brian I got dressed and attempted to get Callie dressed so we could get some brunch. Once again, it is taught in parenting 101 that hungry young children will act up and she was waaaay past due for her breakfast. Callie was stubbornly insisting that she did not want to get dressed and no cajoling or threats of Dora being disappointed swayed her. Ugh! It is was not one of my more proud parenting moments, especially because our hangover was the cause of her misbehavior, but I yelled at her and assisted her in getting her clothes on. Colby joined myself and a still very upset Callie up at the Great Outdoors for a late breakfast. Luckily Froot Loops, pancakes and an apology from me placated her. Coffee and a full stomach made me feel better as well. Brian......well he didn't recover until mid afternoon.

The rest of the morning and afternoon was spend being very lazy in our room. Even before the White Hot Party we had decided that we didn't have much interest in Victoria and would prefer to have some relax time. Colby had initially wanted to venture on his own into town but changed his mind when he learned there was an expensive shuttle into Victoria with not a lot to see.

We never really did an official lunch together as a family. Instead we all left when we were hungry and snacked the buffet when we wanted something. By dinner time Brian was not only feeling better but he was HUNGRY. Our original plan for this trip was to only do one up charge dining experience so I was surprised when he suggested Moderno for dinner. I knew our budget had been busted a bit by the alcohol fueled shenanigans the night before but Moderno was tempting.

What a feast! We got there shortly after it opened and were the first ones to arrive. Abby from Blue Lagoon saw us shortly after we were seated and much to Callie's delight came over to chat for a bit. My goal was to make it to the lamb portion because I missed my lamb course from the Tsars - Dora meet and great night. The lamb was the last meat brought out and I barely made it. The server almost, in a playful way, took offense when you didn't take some of each selection. Luckily I was spared a course or two by Callie having to go to the restroom! I made it to the lamb but Colby was the bottomless pit hero of that meal. He always took a serving, if not two, of each and every thing the server brought out. By the end of the meal Colby, Brian and myself were stuffed!

null_zps7cad41d9.jpg

We all relaxed for a while until we sadly realized that we needed to pack to leave the next day. Brian took care of the extra tipping we felt was appropriate (Brian our room steward and the kids club) while I started finding all of our belongings that we had ferreted away in nooks over the past week. Our bags were almost all packed before we all turned in for the night.

Next morning we were up early at about 7:00 AM. We went to our favorite Great Outdoors for our last breakfast and it hit home that vacation was over when there was no washy washy to greet us. A quick last Froot Loops and pancakes breakfast for Callie and last cooked for us meal for the rest of us and we were back to our rooms to gather our bags. We opted for the walk off with your bags program. We carried them a few flights down to the main floor, followed the direction of the crew and all too soon were off the ship! Man, I got a bit misty. I didn't want to leave. Security was once again a breeze and the walk to the parking garage skybridge was as easy as when we came.

We loaded up the car, got Callie in her carseat, and off we went. We were on the road by 8:30 AM. A fantastic once in a life time trip behind us.

What a great recap of your trip! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Is your daughter still eating pancakes and fruit loops? lol

You are welcome. It was a great deal of fun writing it.

No! Callie luckily had no withdrawals when we put her back on her normal diet of Cheerios and milk. We had prepped her by saying that Froot Loops and pancakes were a special ship only meal. We did do blueberry pancakes last weekend but for some reason she was less than impressed with them. :)

• 10 months later...

What a great review Shay. We are sailing on our first cruise in September, from Vancouver to San Pedro, on the Jewel. Your review makes me more excited for the trip, as well as a future Alaska cruise. Even though we don't have kids, I really enjoyed reading about the kids club. I think the way a company looks after kids says a lot about the company as a whole, and NCl definitely seems to care!