Self-drive island tour, need help w beaches

Can't Wait 2013

Hi,

I’ve gleaned a lot from reading through the threads – thanks for the info.

We’ll be arriving Sun, 09/08, on St.Maarten, aboard Jewel of the Seas (9am-7pm per Royal Caribbean).

We plan to rent a car and circumnavigate in a counter-clockwise direction to catch Maho in the afternoon.

I’ve got a general itinerary in mind that I'll post after I narrow down the beaches (for feedback), but first I’d like your input about beaches.

We’ll probably stop for 30min at Orient and Maho just to experience them. And we’d like to spend time (maybe 1hr each) at a couple of other really nice beaches hopefully with snorkeling (thinking definitely Mullet Bay; also considering Dawn Beach, LeGalion Beach, Baie Lucas, Happy Bay, Rouge Bay [though I read there’s no sandy shoreline, just rocks a couple months ago], Plum Bay, Long Bay, or Cupecoy Bay). This is where I need help narrowing down what are the most beautiful or special beaches (snorkeling a plus, not a must). My husband and I tend not to lay out on the beach, we prefer to swim/snorkel.

Visited St.Maarten 10 yrs ago on a cruise, went to Orient Beach but don’t really remember it. Seeking something more memorable.

Thanks for any help:),

June

Is this an 'exploratory' trip, where you might be looking for places to visit when you return for an extended stay?

Or might you be 'looking for a great visit' and I might not be back?

Also, how important are your beach times as you integrate them into your general itinerary?

You have limited hours on the island. How would you like to 'spend' them'?

gary

Recently returned from Carnival Valor cruise with our last stop in St. Martin. We rented a car from Hertz. Comes with a GPS. All the sights are programmed in so driving was a breeze. Drove over to Marigot and spent quite a while there. Climbed to the fort for a beautiful view. There was a market in town and we enjoyed walking around. Got lunch provisions and headed to Le Galion beach. The beach was beautiful. No waves. Very laid back. Easy ride back to pier with a gas station just before the pier to fill up. Great day.

Hi, I guess more context would have been helpful. Initially, I had the itinerary listed, but the post looked so long and verbose, and I thought the tentative itinerary w uncertain beaches was confusing, so I removed it.

To Gary, I think it’s a little of both, but more the latter. We want to explore the island, but want it to be a great visit in case we don’t return. Beach time is important, but not to the exclusion of Marigot and experiencing the lay of the land. Probably half the day at beaches (but I realize going to multiple beaches will take time from/back to car). I don’t know that we’ll get in the water at Orient and Maho, it’s more just to take a walk on Orient and watch the planes on Maho. Which 2 beaches would you recommend to spend about an hour each at?

Thanks, Trip Planner, sounds like a great day. We’ll likely do some of it as well.

These are my tentative plans:

Drive up East coast, view St.Barths from Guana Bay (can skip if will take too much time)

Spend an hour at a beautiful, snorkel-maybe beach (Dawn or LeGalion)

Go to Orient Beach for 20-30min just to take a walk and experience one of the most popular beaches.

Continue N then W around the island. Are there worthwhile stops (unclear of should-see’s in Petites Cayes and Anse Marcel) before arriving at Grand Case? If so, how much time should be allocated?

Lunch at a lolo in Grand Case

Is Happy or Friar’s Bay worth a stop for beach time or views of Anguilla?

Drive to Marigot: Climb to Fort Louis and take in views, stop by market, Sarafina’s (no major shopping planned).

Continue S and W. Are there beaches on the SW part of island that are must see, in addition to Mullet Bay?

Swim at Mullet Bay (1hr).

Maho for 20-30min for planes.

Back to port. Return car.

Shop if time permits, though not necessary. Assume all-aboard is 6:30, or 5:30 if port times change.

Those are my plans, is this doable from about 10am to 5pm? I welcome suggestions/advice. Thought about Bernard’s Tour, but wanted to spend time at other beaches (have read Mullet is gorgeous), and more time in Marigot, less at Orient. Plus, booked tours at 3 other islands, so independence seemed ideal.

Thanks again,

June

Recently returned from Carnival Valor cruise with our last stop in St. Martin. We rented a car from Hertz. Comes with a GPS. All the sights are programmed in so driving was a breeze. Drove over to Marigot and spent quite a while there. Climbed to the fort for a beautiful view. There was a market in town and we enjoyed walking around. Got lunch provisions and headed to Le Galion beach. The beach was beautiful. No waves. Very laid back. Easy ride back to pier with a gas station just before the pier to fill up. Great day.

How much was your rental with Hertz?

20 - 30 min at Maho might not be enough time to view anything other than small puddle-jumper planes, depending on what time you get there. The big planes seem to be more likely to come along mostly between 11-ish and 2-ish, although they do come at other times too - just not as frequently. I don't know if there's a website that lists arrivals more than a day in advance, but maybe you can call Sunset Bar from the cruise pier and see if they'll tell you that day's schedule. They have a surfboard there with the big-jet arrival times listed on them.

I didn't think I would care that much about jets landing at an airport and only went there for the kids, but it turns out that watching a jumbo jet landing only a few feet above people's heads is more interesting than you might think. I'll see if I can post my best plane picture. I haven't put a pic into a post before so it might not work.

We rented a car with Coastal, by the way, and didn't get the GPS. It would've been handy but we managed to find our way around. The roads aren't marked as well as they could be but it added to the sense of "exploring". :)

1492392488_Day5MahoBeach_48.jpg.0ea8488d2b4dcb1465638c3a15e1c365.jpg

Try and narrow your list of beach's to visit to 2 + Maho. Yes they have different looks to each, but in the end all are wonderful white sand with clear blue water to wade in. This should help with your time frame at the different stops you want to make.

FYI, we made the mistake of trying to put too much into a port stop and were worn plum out at the end of the day, and didnt really get to enjoy it.

ps: we did Bernards Tour II last Nov, great tour, the driver will 'tweek' the time at the stops if everyone in the group aggrees.

Edited by wallie5446

Hi' date=' I guess more context would have been helpful. Initially, I had the itinerary listed, but the post looked so long and verbose, and I thought the tentative itinerary w uncertain beaches was confusing, so I removed it.[/font']

To Gary, I think it’s a little of both, but more the latter. We want to explore the island, but want it to be a great visit in case we don’t return. Beach time is important, but not to the exclusion of Marigot and experiencing the lay of the land. Probably half the day at beaches (but I realize going to multiple beaches will take time from/back to car). I don’t know that we’ll get in the water at Orient and Maho, it’s more just to take a walk on Orient and watch the planes on Maho. Which 2 beaches would you recommend to spend about an hour each at?

Thanks, Trip Planner, sounds like a great day. We’ll likely do some of it as well.

These are my tentative plans:

Drive up East coast, view St.Barths from Guana Bay (can skip if will take too much time)

Spend an hour at a beautiful, snorkel-maybe beach (Dawn or LeGalion)

Go to Orient Beach for 20-30min just to take a walk and experience one of the most popular beaches.

Continue N then W around the island. Are there worthwhile stops (unclear of should-see’s in Petites Cayes and Anse Marcel) before arriving at Grand Case? If so, how much time should be allocated?

Lunch at a lolo in Grand Case

Is Happy or Friar’s Bay worth a stop for beach time or views of Anguilla?

Drive to Marigot: Climb to Fort Louis and take in views, stop by market, Sarafina’s (no major shopping planned).

Continue S and W. Are there beaches on the SW part of island that are must see, in addition to Mullet Bay?

Swim at Mullet Bay (1hr).

Maho for 20-30min for planes.

Back to port. Return car.

Shop if time permits, though not necessary. Assume all-aboard is 6:30, or 5:30 if port times change.

Those are my plans, is this doable from about 10am to 5pm? I welcome suggestions/advice. Thought about Bernard’s Tour, but wanted to spend time at other beaches (have read Mullet is gorgeous), and more time in Marigot, less at Orient. Plus, booked tours at 3 other islands, so independence seemed ideal.

Thanks again,

June

I think that you are way too ambitious. How many ships are in port on your day? What are your port times?

You will get a good view of Anguilla from Grand Case, weather permitting so you won't need to plan a beach stop solely for this purpose.

As karysa says, that's pretty ambitious.

Let's whittle it down a bit to begin.

First, get off the ship and rolling as quickly as possible.

No reason to go to Guana Bay to see St. Barths - that would be a real time killer and there is at least as good a view from Dawn Beach, which you mention, but I'm not sure that you can afford to spend an hour there to swim and snorkel.

th_DSCF0347.jpg

(click) St. Barths from Dawn Beach

Continue from Dawn along the coast and drive into le Galion to see the near perfect lazy Caribbean Beach.

th_DSCN6229.jpg

Then hop over to Orient, just a few minutes away.

th_DSCN5795.jpg

No clue how you found Petites Cayes, as the directions I recall to get there say drive past the French Side dump, park at the chain gate and walk for 30 or 40 minutes. We've only seen it from the water.

The drive, then walk, all the way into Anse Marcel beach is another time killer, but the view from the road cresting the (steep) hill is pretty nice.

th_DSCN2946.jpg

Lunch in Grand Case: we still prefer Germain's.

th_DSCN5338.jpg

I'd skip Friar's and the hike over to Happy Bay, and you could see Anguilla from Grand Case, or Much Better, from your next (MUST) stop at Fort Louis.

th_DSCN4263.jpg

I'm at the max for including photos in this post, so there will be a part two.

gary

Head down into Marigot for Sarafina's,

th_DSCN0928.jpg

You could probably skip the Marigot Marketplace, but it's directly across the street.

th_DSCN2911.jpg

You'll drive right past Baie Rouge on your way to Mullet, so pop in for a look.

th_DSCF0331.jpg

And if you have time you might drive into Terres Basses to check out Baie Prunes

th_Plum2.jpg

Continue to Mullet Bay Beach

th_DSCN6169.jpg

Next door is Maho Beach. We like Guy's Driftwood Boat Bar for cheap beers

th_DSCN1300.jpg

Hit limit, so one more post to follow.

gary

Sunset Bar and Grill is also nice, with more parking.

th_DSCN2473.jpg

BTW, as stated earlier, you're not likely to see much in the way of landings or take-offs with just a 20-30 minute stop.

I really suggest being out of Maho, headed back to the Cruise Facility, by 3:00 at the latest. If there is no traffic problem, then you have a bit of time for shopping or a cool one.

gary

p.s. I did mail your map today, but FYI I have often referred to this online map in the past.

Thanks, frisbeewife, for suggesting more time to view the planes and for the pic :). Your photo is helpful because Maho beach looks bigger and nicer than I had thought from reading other threads. Maybe we’ll spend more time at Maho to swim in the water.

I stumbled upon 2 useful links for SXM arrivals/departures.

One is for Joyce Prince’s website because she lists the current day’s flights (thanks Joyce Prince, and Karysa and gtaylor from last Nov)

http://www.joyceprince.com/maho.html

. . . and she gives a nod (and link) to her partner Flightstats.com, which allows you to see 5 days worth. I’ll check closer to my St.Maarten date (BeagleOne also mentioned last Nov).

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do?airportQueryType=0

Agreed, wallie5446, I don’t want to wear us down at the 1st of 5 islands ;).

Thanks Karysa, for suggesting I lighten the itinerary, we’re the only ship in port that Sunday, cruiseline posts 9am-7pm port times, though the port states 8am-6pm. I will try to cut it down.

And gtaylor, thanks very much for putting together your suggested visual itinerary :). Looks and sounds great!!! Thank you for the map, I’ll look for it tomorrow/Friday :).

So per gtaylor, this is what I have now (w my time estimates):

Pick up rental, hit the road

Stop at Dawn Beach

Stop at LeGalion Beach

Stop at Orient Beach: walk along beach (30 min)

Drive to Grand Case: lunch at lolo, maybe Germain’s (45 min)

Drive to Marigot: Ft.Louis, Sarafina’s, maybe marketplace (1h)

Quick stop at Baie Rouge for a looksee

Maybe stop at Baie Prunes (time permitting)

Stop at Mullet Bay Beach (1h)

Stop at Maho Beach: watch planes (1h). Depart by 3pm

Fill up near pier, return car

Maybe shop (time permitting)

I’ve allotted time for Orient, Mullet, and Maho beaches.

If time constraints require skipping other beaches, it will probably be on the back end bc (1) that’s when we’ll feel the crunch and (2) I like getting to the beach asap to start an island vacation. We’ll aim for Dawn and LeGalion, but may miss Rouge and Prunes.

Two more things:

1. We’re planning to take snorkel gear, any advice to the contrary based on water time at Mullet and maybe either Dawn or LeGalion? We know we have to schlep it around when we leave the car.

2. My understanding is the rental agency (Hertz) is at the pier, which is a 15 min walk into Philipsburg. If we have time to shop in Pburg, does it make more sense to shop around Front/Back St, then return the car to avoid walking back out from the rental agency, then back again to the ship?

Can't Wait,

Sounds like a plan. :)

I wouldn't bother with the snorkeling gear -- save that for your next visit.

I would just head back to turn in the car and check out the (limited) shopping at the Cruise Facility, relax and have a cold one.

You've had a busy day, and late on a Sunday I suspect that most of the shops along Frontstreet would be closed, anyway.

Enjoy your cruise.

gary

p.s. How long have you been packed?

Gary you have really outdone even yourself on this one! This itinerary and the package that you delivered it in is so fantastic that even I am at a loss of words.

Lucky do it yourselfers that come across this one!:)

:)

We'll see how it works out.

As I post this she is 10 hours, 29 minutes away from Philipsburg.

gary

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to report back on how our St.Maarten-St.Martin self-drive island tour went and hope the info may be useful to others. If it's too long, the last sentence is all you need to read.

We had a wonderful time on our cruise! I think St. Maarten was a big deal for me because we didn’t have an organized tour so more effort was required (finding a rental agency, navigating, returning car w/o problems, not missing the boat). Thanks again for all your input, especially to Gary for the awesome photo-itinerary. Your time and effort made our day on SXM a memorable one :)!

We got off the boat and headed to the rental agency building (go straight and turn right in front of the “Welcome to St. Maarten” sign). It was quick to complete the paperwork. We had a reservation with Hertz: with the 10% internet discount, our compact car (Toyota Yaris) total was US$61.65 for the day which included free liability coverage and free GPS, didn’t get collision since our credit card covered it; but note that this is low season and prices may change by season and pick up location (pier vs airport). Then the shuttle van drove us to the car, just a few minutes away from the pier complex. Pickup was quick and they were good about making sure we pointed out any damage for them to note on the form.

We stopped at the 5 beaches that I really wanted to see, though we only swam at Orient Beach. Dawn and LeGaleon were nice, Dawn being situated in front of a resort which made it feel more isolated and exclusive and LeGaleon was, as expected, popular with families. As I mentioned earlier, I wasn’t impressed by Orient Beach 10 years ago, but after walking north for maybe 10 min, there was a break in the beach clubs because one had closed down so it was uncrowded and the water was just so enticing that we decided to play in the water. Beautiful light blue water with nice, but not wild waves that day. At later beaches on other islands, some waves were so mild that I missed the movement we had at Orient. We did get stopped by the police for a random check just after leaving Orient Beach, but I think it took maybe 10 min.

We drove to Grand Case but weren’t hungry, so didn’t stop to eat. Went to Marigot and walked up to Ft. Louis to see the panoramic views – beautiful. Sarafina’s was closed when we drove by. Drove through the Terres Basses, but didn’t stop until Mullet Beach, which was popular and also nice. Then on to Maho where we caught a couple small takeoffs and finally a Westjet landing, not jumbo, but still neat. Fortunately, traffic wasn’t bad leaving Maho, passing the airport and returning to the pier.

I think it cost US$18 to replace the gas we used. Front St was mostly closed when we returned. Car return was a breeze.

I’m glad we got to see the different beaches and the different towns – the drive put St.Maarten on my list of islands to visit for land vacations because there’s a lot to see and do. And I could see how the Dutch side caters to Americans based on the restaurants and shops we saw near Maho. We didn’t shop in Marigot nor on Front St. in Philipsburg, so I can’t comment on them.

While we didn’t get any narrative from a tour guide, St.Maarten turned out to be the only island (of 5) we visited where driving was on the right-hand side and it was the smallest of them, which combined to make it ideal for renting a car and self-touring. I think we got a good look at the island and have a good concept of what it has to offer – LOTS!

If we visit again on a cruise, I would visit Orient, Grand Case (only if we’re hungry), Marigot (maybe to have dessert at Sarafina’s and shop at the market if Sat or Wed), then on to Maho. But, if we do a week-long trip, I will definitely go back to Dawn, LeGaleon, Mullet, and the ones we missed on the Dutch side and more. Plus we didn’t even consider Pic Paradis or the butterfly farm for this trip, but maybe for a week-long we could do them.

The short of it – really enjoyed SXM! I think we put a lot into seeing it and got a lot of enjoyment out of the day. It was a BUSY itinerary, not leisurely. Would love to go back for a longer visit!

That is what we did this year! We loved St Maarten so much from our cruise that we traded out our Timeshare this past August and spent a week there!

We stayed right at Maho beach at the Royal Islander Resort. Loved it!

We could have spent longer then the week! We even took a ferry to St Barth's.

We are considering canceling our next cruise and going back again this next Spring!

Kerry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That is what we did this year! We loved St Maarten so much from our cruise that we traded out our Timeshare this past August and spent a week there!

<snip>

Yep, it's that first cruise that snags you.

Now, years later, we have about 20 cruise-related days and 55 weeks of stays on the island.

We kind of like it, too. :)

gary

• 1 month later...

We will also be in St. Martin on a Sunday on the Jewel. Our group had plans to go to Maho and then back to Front street to do some shopping. However, from your report the shopping looks like it may be out.:( I wonder if it is a seasonal phenomena? We will be there in early May, so that is also a shoulder time in the cruise season.

We have been to St. Martin multiple times and since we have a very busy itinerary were planning to stay on the ship initially. However, we all enjoyed ourselves so much last year at Maho we decide to go there for lunch and jet landings again. We may end up doing just that and have to do some shopping elsewhere.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

We will also be in St. Martin on a Sunday on the Jewel. Our group had plans to go to Maho and then back to Front street to do some shopping. However, from your report the shopping looks like it may be out.:( I wonder if it is a seasonal phenomena? We will be there in early May, so that is also a shoulder time in the cruise season.

We have been to St. Martin multiple times and since we have a very busy itinerary were planning to stay on the ship initially. However, we all enjoyed ourselves so much last year at Maho we decide to go there for lunch and jet landings again. We may end up doing just that and have to do some shopping elsewhere.

Closer to your date check to see if the KLM jumbo jet is scheduled to arrive on Sundays. This past summer the arrival was around 11 a.m. on Sundays. Such a great atmosphere when the KLM is on her way, it's Maho at it's best!!:)

Closer to your date check to see if the KLM jumbo jet is scheduled to arrive on Sundays. This past summer the arrival was around 11 a.m. on Sundays. Such a great atmosphere when the KLM is on her way, it's Maho at it's best!!:)

That would be wonderful! Do you know where that flight originates? I could check it out that way.

Your day is a VERY good day to visit.

Right now the schedule shows KLM with a 747 from Amsterdam arriving at 11:15 and the Air France from Paris arriving at 13:50 with their Airbus 340.

Last May we headed over to Maho for such a lineup and the KLM was 50 minutes early and the Air France was cancelled.

Good luck.

gary

That would be wonderful! Do you know where that flight originates? I could check it out that way.

Amsterdam if memory serves me.:) I would have done it for you if I wasn't so lazy.:o

Lucky for you Gary checked it out and posted it above.:)

Your day is a VERY good day to visit.

Right now the schedule shows KLM with a 747 from Amsterdam arriving at 11:15 and the Air France from Paris arriving at 13:50 with their Airbus 340.

Last May we headed over to Maho for such a lineup and the KLM was 50 minutes early and the Air France was cancelled.

Good luck.

gary

Amsterdam if memory serves me.:) I would have done it for you if I wasn't so lazy.:o

Lucky for you Gary checked it out and posted it above.:)

Thanks! I just was able to find the KLM landing time. I know that flights can be early so I figure we had better get over there around 10:00. Our ship is scheduled to arrive at 9 so it shouldn't be a problem. We were there this past May for the Airbus arrival and that was fun. Really looking forward to seeing the 747 arrive, though.:)

That would more than make up for shops being closed in my mind.