London Heathrow Carry On Size

Sargent_Schultz

It was a security issue - there was a high alert going on at the time I flew and only 1 carry on item per person (and which included e.g. purses, loose cameras, etc - to be fitted into their measuring grid) was allowed through security check, no matter what airline rules were and despite me flying business class with high mileage priority status. Security did not say I had to place it in the carryon, they said "no more than 1 - the 2nd carry on item has to be checked in". I went back and found I could still squeeze 2nd bag (purse) into 1st (lap top bag) and that they did not see or did not care. And certainly I took it out again after security. However colleagues travelling with me that could not fit everything in 1 bag had to go back to check-in.

I am not saying this happens all the time, but I have been flying to/from London (Heathrow / City) for work at least biweekly and had every possible variation already - even British Air limiting carry on to ca 18 pounds on inter-European flights, despite their on-line higher carry on allowance. I just wanted to point out that they (airlines and/or security) sometimes make the rules as "flavor of the day", depending on circumstances and there is nothing the passenger can do, except to be prepared to rearrange carry ons. The more you protest, the more difficult they will be.

This has been my experience as well although I fly less frequently.

My medical gear fits into my one and only wheel-free carry on bag as does my small purse. If I was forced to, I could remove my medical gear and my valuables and check my carry on bag. I'm that prepared to adapt to changing security conditions. That is to say that my small purse, camera, iPhone, Kindle and medical gear can all fit easily into the medical gear bag and my carry on bag (with much less in it) could be checked. At that point it would only have a change of clothes and some comfort items.

Calling it being prepared for the 'flavor of the day' is a brilliant way of putting it.

United and/or any other US based airline has little to no control on what goes on with security checkpoints outside of the USA. Your airline status also means next to nothing.

You also have to be prepared to have your documents checked and your stuff gone through by security people at the gate. The GATE!. My most recent trip through LHR my passport was checked at least 5 times and I had a body pat down at the gate.

This has been my experience as well although I fly less frequently.

My medical gear fits into my one and only wheel-free carry on bag as does my small purse. If I was forced to, I could remove my medical gear and my valuables and check my carry on bag. I'm that prepared to adapt to changing security conditions. That is to say that my small purse, camera, iPhone, Kindle and medical gear can all fit easily into the medical gear bag and my carry on bag (with much less in it) could be checked. At that point it would only have a change of clothes and some comfort items.

Calling it being prepared for the 'flavor of the day' is a brilliant way of putting it.

United and/or any other US based airline has little to no control on what goes on with security checkpoints outside of the USA. Your airline status also means next to nothing.

You also have to be prepared to have your documents checked and your stuff gone through by security people at the gate. The GATE!. My most recent trip through LHR my passport was checked at least 5 times and I had a body pat down at the gate.

My wife's CPAP and the batteries for the POC take up the enter room of our standard 22" carry-on. Her actual POC is in a small roll-around carry-on about 15". Besides that medical equipment, which is necessary during flight, we each have a 22" carry-on. In addition, my personal item is a laptop, and my wife's is a purse. Now we could get by with all this carry-on if security at LHR does not count medical equipment as carry-ons. There must be someone out there that has had this experience and can tell me that under normal circumstance (non alert times) this is the case.

Heathrow telephone information service

0844 335 1801

from the US would be:

011 44 + phone number (skip the leading zero) 844 355 1801 (i think)

Thanks Bill,

I was hoping to find an e-mail address or an 800 number to call LHR security.

Bob

I already checked this site and, unfortunately, there is no email addresses to be had except for the media.

But I thought of a better solution. We have no problem getting from SFO to LHR. It is LHR to SFO that the security issues arise. So when we arrive Heathrow I am going directly to the Security office, tell them about our medical equipment and ask if it counts as carry-on our return flight. That way I will get it from the "horses mouth" sort of speak. Get names and maybe written confirmation?

Bob

Archived