NCL iConcierge app -- issues?

Tom-n-Cheryl

I have yet to sail on a ship where I can use this app, though that will be changing VERY soon ! :D

I've had it downloaded for several weeks now and noticed something odd this morning. By lunch today I noticed my Samsung Galaxy S4 had only 50% of its battery reserves remaining. Since I purchased this phone recently its amazing battery life helped it really stand out from the two previous Android phones I've owned (Droid X and Galaxy Nexus).

When I checked on the battery usage today, nearly half the usage was from the iConcierge app (which was not, to my knowledge, even running)! It appears that the app updated just a few days ago.

Has anyone else seen this type of behavior from the app?

For that matter, for those who have used it onboard, what did you think of it??

...and, just as an aside... WHY IN THE HECK did NCL feel the need to have the name of the app start with an "i"... :rolleyes: Perhaps that's why it's misbehaving on my phone! ;)

Thanks,

Tom

There's a built in count down clock in there if you set your date, though I never noticed any difference in battery usage. I still have it installed, just in case ;)

It worked much better in the beginning of the week for some reason, and you can't control the volume so we all missed some texts and calls. Of course there were times it didn't work at all. I would probably use it again.

A lot of people on the Breakaway were complaining that it didn't work last week. We saw them in Guest Services.

Hmmm... wonder if it's not worth the hassle.

We'll have phones in our cabin (to use on the ship).. and we'll each have our cell phones as well (with data OFF). On other cruises we can just text each other back and forth easily... though at $.50 to send and $.05 to receive. That's not a big deal though.

I think I might get more aggravated with technology which does not work as promised. so... might just skip it!

Tom

Hmmm... wonder if it's not worth the hassle.

We'll have phones in our cabin (to use on the ship).. and we'll each have our cell phones as well (with data OFF). On other cruises we can just text each other back and forth easily... though at $.50 to send and $.05 to receive. That's not a big deal though.

I think I might get more aggravated with technology which does not work as promised. so... might just skip it!

Tom

Just uninstalled it. Glad I did not have to pay for it, nor pay for the service on the ship!

Tom

Me thinks you made a good decision! MUCH better to dump it now - rather than letting it frustrate you during the cruise...right?? :cool:

I just downloaded this app about a week ago and was so excited about it! I also have the Galaxy S4 and noticed the rapid decline in battery life! I also couldnt even get the darn thing to open after the initial download! I sent a report on it from my phone regarding battery life and also left a review on the play store.

Its uninstalled for now. I can only hope they fix it prior to my cruise in November. I was sooo lookong forward to it!!!:)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

I just downloaded this app about a week ago and was so excited about it! I also have the Galaxy S4 and noticed the rapid decline in battery life! I also couldnt even get the darn thing to open after the initial download! I sent a report on it from my phone regarding battery life and also left a review on the play store.

Its uninstalled for now. I can only hope they fix it prior to my cruise in November. I was sooo lookong forward to it!!!:)

It appears that it's been buggy from the start. Good luck getting a stable/functional version before your sailing.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

We used it on a recent Breakaway cruise and liked it a lot. We didn't have any major issues. My wife has an iPhone and the kids have an old iTouch, so maybe it is more stable on the Apple products.

It was nice to have when we split up and wanted to get back together. A prime example was my son and I are up and out early, then when the girls woke up, they texted us.

It appears that it's been buggy from the start. Good luck getting a stable/functional version before your sailing.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

We used it on a recent Breakaway cruise and liked it a lot. We didn't have any major issues. My wife has an iPhone and the kids have an old iTouch, so maybe it is more stable on the Apple products.

It was nice to have when we split up and wanted to get back together. A prime example was my son and I are up and out early, then when the girls woke up, they texted us.

Daaang it. Haha. Maybe I'll just take along the iPad and use it on that then....We could keep the iPad in the room and just use it for the free features.

Thanks for the feedback!

Have yet to use the app on a ship, however a few things I have noticed.

When this app first came out, it was designed only for Apple products, then they expanded it. Also, since the recent "update" on the app, I have noticed at times it won't open, just goes to black screen. Have reported the issue several times--very aggravating. Battery has been draining more since the recent update as well. Solution: I open the manage apps section in settings, and force stop the app. This does not affect the ability to use the app, just makes it stop constantly trying to communicate. (i.e. saves your battery) When the app fails to open properly, I force stop it and clear the cache and it works fine, but I have to agree to the terms again. If it is going to be this buggy, I won't pay for the text and call features on our phones (Galaxy SIII) we shall see how things go closer to November.

Was also wondering if you can call the phones (after paying for the feature) from a ship phone. I believe you should, as it utilizes the VOIP function from the phone system onboard. Anyone try it?

Archived