Anybody rent a car in Honfleur

cruisinsince75

This port has presented a little bit of a challenge with getting a car rental for our Saturday and Sunday visit during D-Day weekend on the Azamara Journey.

Hertz has car rentals in Le Havre and Deaville, so is a bit of a taxi ride to get there. There is a local agency called Mary which is a bit outside of town in Honfleur, but doesn't take bookings further out than 60 days. Not something I'm keen on doing since we will be there the weekend during the 70th anniversary of D-Day.

Then there is Sixt in Honfleur, still a little bit outside of the port area. Saturday won't be a problem, in that we will take a taxi from the pier to the agency or arrange for a pickup. The problem is on back end. They are closed on Sunday. There is a drop box for the key, and we can leave it in the parking lot at the agency. However, it is kind of a remote area that I think it will be difficult to find a taxi. The distance is probably a 30 minute walk back to the ship, however I did street view on Google and it is along a four lane highway without sidewalks and I would be doing the walk at night.

Anybody ever use them and if so, were you able to arrange to leave the car at the port and have them pick it up there?

I can recall a thread a couple of years back, when I found a rental agency in Honfleur on the internet for someone, but don't remember the detail & can't find the thread.

Leaving the car in Honfleur would bring problems, such as safe & legal parking & what to do with the key, and I doubt it'd be acceptable to the agency.

Phoning for a taxi from the (unmanned)agency - foreign language & network etc - could be problematic, but there is a taxi rank in Honfleur near the harbour. Probably best to drop by there & ask a taxi to follow you to the rental agency.

JB :)

I can recall a thread a couple of years back, when I found a rental agency in Honfleur on the internet for someone, but don't remember the detail & can't find the thread.

Leaving the car in Honfleur would bring problems, such as safe & legal parking & what to do with the key, and I doubt it'd be acceptable to the agency.

Phoning for a taxi from the (unmanned)agency - foreign language & network etc - could be problematic, but there is a taxi rank in Honfleur near the harbour. Probably best to drop by there & ask a taxi to follow you to the rental agency.

JB :)

Duh!!! I can't believe I didn't think of that. :o Here, I was racking my brain to come up with a solution. Even thinking that the ship could call one for me.

Thanks for the suggestion. That is exactly what I'll do.

Archived