Lahaina Luau

I was scheduled to go to the Lahaina Luau in September of '04 but unfortunately had to opt for the Root Canan excursion (glad I could laugh about it now) yes, I had to see a dentist on my POA vacation. Our friends did go tho and said it was wonderful. The food was great the hula dancers were beautiful, it is highly recommended as the best luau in Maui. Have a great time.

My husband and I went to the Old Lahaina Luau in January while on a land vacation on Maui.

The Luau was excellent and certainly worth the money. All you can eat and drink, flower leis upon your arrival and a great show. We arrived at 5:00ish p.m. and left at 9:30ish p.m. (I think). We paid about $85 per person. They have conventional seating (tables/chairs) or traditional seating (mats on ground/table). We went with the conventional style - way more comfy!

I'm not sure what the cruise lines charge for their tours - you can probably book on your own and save money. If you're docked in Lahaina, you can probably walk there and back but I'm not sure of the exact distance.

We too would like to do the Old Lahaina Luau on our visit to Mauai, but I think we dock in Lihulie (sp??) on the other side of the island. Looking at NCL's shore excursions I think they offer the Paradise Cove Luau. Wonder if it's just as good as Old Lahaina....???

New Englander. . .As Herb said, the cruise line offers the Paradise Cove Luau and it is more expensive at $95.00/per. I "GOOGLED" it and didn't get any hits. That worries me. Did they make people come up and "make fools of themselves"? Herb. . .my understanding is that the ship docks about 25 easy miles away. We are renting a car. Think about that. We plan to see the Needle, visit the Ocean Center, walk around Lahaina, then the Luau, all in one day. Then travel up the mountain the next morning to see the sunrise. Significant savings vs. the shore excursion program. Other forum members have done that itinery. I think we have a convertible that runs about $60. Thanks to all.

Hoosierheadhunter

The Old Lahaina Luau invited guests up to dance if they were celebrating something (i.e. anniversary, honeymoon, etc.). There were none of those embarrassing stunts ... The OLL is, from what I've been told, one of the most authentic and professional hawaiian shows there...

I've never heard of the Paradise Cove Luau - sorry can't help with that.

It's great you're in port long enough to do Lahaina in one day and then see the sunrise atop Haleakala.

There's so much to see and do ... you'll want to go back and do a land vacation.

Enjoy!

Maybe you can be on their call list in case of a cancellation and call upon your arrival ...

Many of the resorts have luaus too ... maybe search the web and check with one of them. At least you'll get a luau in!

We too would like to do the Old Lahaina Luau on our visit to Mauai, but I think we dock in Lihulie (sp??) on the other side of the island. Looking at NCL's shore excursions I think they offer the Paradise Cove Luau. Wonder if it's just as good as Old Lahaina....???

POAloha docks in Kahului in Maui, which is about a 45 minute drive from Lahaina (Lihue is the city on Kauai that is home to Nawiliwili Harbor, where POAloha will dock as well).

On Maui, the ship's luau is called Pacific Paridise Luau, which takes place on the West Shore (I believe in Makena at the Westin), which is a very pretty beach area. I've scoured the boards for a review, and have seen nothing negative about it. Hopefully others can chime in on this!

Paradise Cove Luau is on Oahu's west coast, about a 45-60 minute drive from Waikiki. If food is your thing, avoid this luau at all costs:eek:! Try the Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC) luau instead, the show is really good and the food is much better. Germaines is another Oahu option, but we've never tried it.

bankof day... thanks for clearing that up for me.

Gee, good thing I have a year to get all these Hawaiian sightseeing locations right!!!! :D

I think it might be worth the 45 min. ride to see the Old Lahaina Luau instead of the Pacific Paradise Luau. I'll have to check out the reviews on both.

Archived