NCL - Spanish VAT or not on drink packages etc if leaving from Barcelona

podgeandrodge

We did that cruise last month and I've just checked some receipts.

I have some photos that had an additional 21% VAT added and I bought some headphones in the gift shop that also had 21% VAT added.

In contrast, I looked up last years Epic receipts ( I know.......I'm sad to keep them!! :o ) VAT was charged at 18% on purchases but also our bar bills all had 8% VAT added........not so on the Jade!

Hope this helps. :)

As long as it's not added to alcohol, I'm happy :D

Oh, and spa treatments too I guess!!

• 2 months later...
As long as it's not added to alcohol, I'm happy :D

Oh, and spa treatments too I guess!!

Actually, according to the information I got, 10% is added to drinks and 20% on goods and services (shops, I'm guessing also Spa).

If you have a stop outside of the EU (e.g. Tunis in Tunesia), the extra VAT does not apply though. Also doesn't matter where you board: if the ship leaves from a port in Spain (usually Barcelona) and only stops in EU countries, you're paying the VAT.

If you drink a lot, it might be worth it to pre-buy and pre-pay the Ultimate Beverage Package. You can also buy water and soda in port and bring it on board for free. You can also buy wine in port, bring it aboard and pay a corkage fee of $15 for 750ml bottles. I believe you can't bring spirits or beer onboard though.

Edited by WouterC

The only VAT we paid was for photos, but that was sailing out of Italy not Spain. There was no VAT added to drinks. Also carried on 3 bottles of wine and there was nobody there to collect the corkage, so that was a bonus!