Splendor review 8/21-8/29 2013

windsbud

Loving your review and pictures. Hats off to Amanda I can't even imagine the patience it took to get a tattoo like that.

That tattoo took many sittings and many hours each sitting. She said when the work on her ribs was being done, it was EXTREMELY painful! It really is a work of art. I know some people frown on alot of tattoos but I think hers are amazing. She is big in to animal rescue and has a tattoo of paws and also the names of her two fur babies. Also her and her Daddy have matching crosses on the underside of their forearms. Hers says Daddys girl and hope and his says Amanda and hope.

The day we sailed in to San Juan was WINDY! Spent almost all day at the aft pool, just relaxing. Had room service for breakfast again and tried the grilled ham and cheese from the deli for lunch. Blah...nothing really to it and the cheese really wasn't melted enough. I held off on alcohol today because I knew I would be walking around San Juan and it would be HOT and I didn't want to get dehydrated.

We got to San Juan on time, 3pm. Being that we had FTTF we were able to get off the ship a little quicker. Two separate lines at the staircase. Just had to say we had FTTF and we were pointed to the proper line.

This vacation was really all about relaxing and really getting reaquainted with my girly. We are a very close family and see each other often but this was about sharing and caring and celebrating! That being said we didn't book any excursions. Just decided to start walking and see where we wound up. First stop...CVS! Needed water right away. Then we started exploring. We came across a Harley Davidson store and had to get a shirt for my bestie that is a Harley rider. We also planned on having a bite to eat. The girll at the Harley store pointed us to a restaurant that was real old world San Juan. She said try Raices, you can't miss it, the ladies are outside all dressed in white. There was a huge waiting line so we decided to pass it up.

We finally came upon a place, it had no sign up but inside were tables and a bar and a piano. There was a young man with an apron standing in the door and I asked if they were open. He was very cordial and eager to please! We sat at the table and the owner was at the bar and she greeted us warmly. She told us they just reopened after a year due to a family problem and they hadn't made up a real menu yet! We were only the third customers! So we decided to make it easy and ordered grilled chicken with rice and beans and fried plantains. It sounds like a really plain lunch but it was delicious!

After we ate, we headed back to the ship stopping to check out the local crafts and souvenirs. Also to take a few photos. I was so wiped out from the heat I just wanted a nap!

First sighting of San Juan

DSC_1681.jpg

El Morro

DSC_1688.jpg

DSC_1713.jpg

DSC_1719.jpg

Some of the architecture was really beautiful

DSC_1722.jpg

DSC_1721.jpg

Rush hour in Old San Juan!

DSC_1746.jpg

A 67 Chevelle..with a winch on the front!! LOL!

DSC_1755.jpg

Came across some men playing domino's. I didn't want to be obvious because they were really serious about this game!

DSC_1754.jpg

Amanda enjoying her meal. I know it's blurry. I hate to even post them but what the heck.

DSC_1724.jpg

Interesting sculpture. There were two of these in a brick patio area that you could see the harbor from.

DSC_1745.jpg

This was part of that patio area.

DSC_1726.jpg

We were both looking forward to St Thomas. I have been there before on a previous cruise and spent the day at Megans Bay but we decided to plan an excursion. We both have snorkeled before and wanted to do so again. Amanda was really nervous about booking a private excursion because of the "what if's". She was afraid of missing the ship! So I agreed to book through Carnival and we did the Castaway Girl sail and snorkel. We scheduled the second sail at 11:45 so we decided to get off ship and do some early shopping. First, a few pictures.

DSC_1827.jpg

DSC_1824.jpg

DSC_1825.jpg

DSC_1799.jpg

We had company. RC Jewel of the Sea

DSC_1816.jpg

DSC_1819.jpg

First we headed out to shop.

IMG_7177.jpg

Came back with some souvenirs and a bottle of my favorite...Sheridans. Soooooo good and unavailable in the states

So we met up with a large group at the pier for Castaway sail and snorkel and met Dave from the crew of the Castaway girl. When we were all accounted for and running late because of a straggler we heading to get some more people from the RC ship and then a short walk to the catamaran. It was really hot and the prime spots on the deck out of the sun where gone in a flash. No worries, we grabbed two spots in the back and got ready to sail. They were encouraging us to drink some water because we needed to hydrate before we could party on the way back!

Within a few minutes the sky got pretty dark and the wind picked up and before long it was POURING! We took it in stride as we were about to get wet anyway! It was a bumpy but fun ride. The water was full of white caps and for a few minutes the rain hurt as it hit our skin. But it was all over quickly and the sun came out in time to swim.

We had the choice of jumping off the side or going down the steps. Amanda jumped but I chickened out! I bought a waterproof point and shoot camera for this excursion but the pictures really didn't turn out so good so I won't be posting them.

IMG_7178.jpg

Dave

DSCN0118.jpg

Yours Truly lol

DSCN0091.jpg

This is a Brittle Star fish. It's legs fall off if they need to get away! They do regenerate. You can see one of the legs was already gone.

DSCN0098.jpg

IMG_7193.jpg

Dave serving up some rum punch! I had a sip just to taste but couldn't drink it because it had pineapple juice in it and I get sick from it! So they had plenty of Coca Cola to mix with the rum. They were VERY generous with the rum and I was feeling no pain when I got off the catamaran!!

IMG_7186.jpg

IMG_7184.jpg

People started loosening up and having a good time. Things got a bit silly too.

DSCN0121.jpg

DSCN0116.jpg

IMG_7196.jpg

IMG_7247.jpg

The wait to get back on the ship.

IMG_7200.jpg

Bye bye St Thomas

IMG_7207.jpg

Since I was already feeling pretty darn tipsy, I decided to continue once back on board. So we put our butts in chairs at the aft pool and I continued to motion for drinks from my favorite waiter.

IMG_7268.jpg

I swear, I was taking this pick for the waiter, not that young man in the blue bathing suit that had an uncanny resemblace to Justin Timberlake..except fot the beard. But that waiter was the best in my opinion. It got to the point that all I did was give a slight upward nod and he would nod back and POOF..a drink was in my hand! Today was the best for drinking and being super friendly and chatty. Everyone I talked to was in a great mood. But I must say, I didn't get really drunk. More just feeling fine and happy and loving life!

Next up will be Grand Turk.

Based on your first post I wasn't expecting much in the way of pictures. I've been pleasently suprised. You have beautiful pictures. thank you for sharing.

Compared to some of the other posts where people have tons of incredible photos, I didn't think I had that many. Glad you are enjoying them.

awwww your review of st thomas was really good.....i loved it there although we ended up getting a little sozzled on a baileys cocktail up in the mountains (had to get a cable car to it.....) what a beautiful island though. I sworeif i won the lottery i'd buy a house there

I think St Thomas is my favorite caribbean Island even though I have barely scratched the surface on things to see and do there.

We got there and disembarked as the other ship's passengers were getting back on. We had decided to make this a beach day and just chill. Our original plan was to head to Jack's Shack but said lets just set up here! We didn't want the atmosphere of hanging out by the pool in Margaritaville either. We went off to the right and I got a spot under a tree and Amanda set up out in the sun. There were plenty of places to sit under shade. I don't know how it would have been if there were two ships in port.

First of all, the water is AMAZING!! It was a little interesting getting in and out of the water. There was a bit of a drop going out and then large rocks. Getting back out you had to climb back up that drop. I scraped my knee on one of the rocks. Once you got past them, it was really nice.

When the other ship was leaving, people on the other side of the dock had to get out of the water because of the pull of the current. I was talking to one woman that was swimming laps on the side we were on and she said she is a strong swimmer and even there she was fighting the pull. So beware if you find yourself in the water while a ship departs.

I took a brief walk through some of the shops and picked up some shot glasses. I poked my head in Margaritaville and it was definitely a party going on! Not for me this time though. Just wanted to relax.

Heres a few pics.

IMG_7228.jpg

IMG_7229.jpg

My point of view

IMG_7231.jpg

A panorama shot

IMG_7245.jpg

See ya Grand Turk!

IMG_7251.jpg

• 6 months later...
Hi can you tell me what kind of camera you used? The pictures were very clear

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some were taken with my iPhone, some with my Nikon d70s and others with my Nikon d3200.