Mt. St. Helens v. Mt. Ranier

I'm going to be in Seattle for several days prior to taking a cruise. I would like to plan a day trip to Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Rainer. I would like a recommendation as to which site to visit. Also what are the driving times to both from Seattle.

Thanks,

Chuck

It's about 3-4 hours from Seattle to Paradise, the main visitor center on Mt. Rainier. It's at least another couple of hours further to Mt. St. Helens. It makes for a very long day trip to Mt. St. Helens from Seattle. Mt. Rainier is much more doable and both mountains are lovely. At Paradise, there's also the added benefit of the lovely restaurant in the lodge there. You can also visit Sunrise, the visitor center on the back of the mountain, as long as you're going in the summer. It's much less crowded than Paradise, but not as good a visitor center, and just a snack bar there, no full restaurant.

We have done both and Ranier is much more scenic and picturesque. No questions, you definately want to go to Ranier. Also, there are several short hikes from the various visitor centers if your inclined. Out of all the national parks along the northwest corridor, Ranier and Crater Lake and the two best! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Both Mt. Rainier and St. Helens are spectacular sites. I would recommend Rainier due to the shorter distance from Seattle. I spent several wonderful summers working there at Paradise Inn. If you are driving, try to avoid visiting on the weekend as it is more crowded. Also, beware the mountain often clouds up after noon so your best bet for a clear view is in the morning. If you are driving, be sure to stop at Longmire and Reflection Lake on your way to Paradise, as you can often get a view of the mountain from there even if Paradise is clouded in. Depending on the snowmelt, you may witness the incredible wildflowers at their peak. There are plenty of trails in the Paradise area for both short and long hikes, with some of them paved. Several companies in Seattle have bus and van day tours available if you aren't renting a car. Enjoy!

I am going to go against the popular opinion here and vote for Mt. St. Helens. No doubt that Mt. Rainier is stunningly beautiful, perhaps I am spoiled since I can see it everyday (when it's not cloudy!). But I feel Mt. St. Helens is a much more interesting experience and well worth the 3+ hour drive. It is amazing to see the effects firsthand of the 1980 eruption and the subsequent regrowth. Last year the mountain starting showing signs of life again, reminding us all that this is still a very active volcano. If you care to see a current picture, check this site

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

The Johnston Observatory is an excellent facility with lots of informative exhibits and guides, as well as spectacular views of the mountain.

JulieMac

It would be helpful to know what time of year you will be visiting. Mt. Rainier is really only a good trip during the later summer and early fall. The rest of the year it is covered with snow and there's not much to do (and in all likelihood you won't see the mountain since it's covered in clouds). In the right season, though, it's spectacular. Mt. St. Helen's is more accessible in winter months, although it would also be better in summer.

Archived