How do you pay gratuities?

voyagerusa

Hello, everyone:)

Does Disney Cruise still provide voucher for gratuities at the end of the cruise?

I was told that (I don't remember exactly which ship was. Probably either Disney Wonder or Magic) one of Disney cruise ships now charge gratuities on passengers' onboard card automatically.

Please let me know if anyone disembarked from the Disney Ships recently.

Thank you in advance~! :D

From what I have read, it's across all the ships now and the AutoGrat is automatically added to your onboard account.

You can go to GS onboard to either remove it should you wish to give cash, or add to it or reduce it.

I think you can also pre pay the Grat's pre cruise if you want less hassle and not to have to worry about it.

HTH's and if I'm incorrect, hopefully someone will correct what I have said!

ex techie

Correct, you are charged an amount per day per person and will get vouchers on the last nght (or night before?) so you have something to hand to crew...

Hello, everyone:)

Does Disney Cruise still provide voucher for gratuities at the end of the cruise?

I was told that (I don't remember exactly which ship was. Probably either Disney Wonder or Magic) one of Disney cruise ships now charge gratuities on passengers' onboard card automatically.

Please let me know if anyone disembarked from the Disney Ships recently.

Thank you in advance~! :D

Your gratuities will be added to your account. They show up each day but are not charged until the end of your cruise. You will get a sheet of paper with the names of those who served you and envelopes. The paper is perforated so you can tear it easily and put each into the envelopes to present to your servers as you see them. If you want to add any extra you can put it into the envelope as well. You may also wish to write a thank you to put in the envelope.

8759204872_9173e0f84d_z.jpg

The left hand side has your name and cabin number on it.

If you do nothing, the suggested amount of $12 per guest per night of the cruise will be added to your stateroom account. The tickets and envelopes will be delivered to your stateroom on the second to last day.

At any time during the cruise, you can go to guest services and increase or decrease the amount of the tip or entirely remove it from the account (some people prefer to use cash). The servers do not know anything till you hand them the envelopes at the end of the cruise.

Another possibility is to pre-pay the tips by calling your travel agent and having them charge the tip amount in advance. The only advantage of this method is if you are using a Disney Visa. The code that is used for advance payments is different than that used on board and does qualify for the 6 months interest free. The code for shipboard charges does not qualify. I can't see giving DCL my money before I need to do so, but some people are concerned about the interest free provision.

And you do not need to hand the ticket to the server for them to collect the tip. You should however, check to ensure that the correct serving team and stateroom attendant are listed on your tickets.

Once they are charged to your onboard account, that's it - DCL gives you the tickets and the envelopes but you don't have to do anything further with them.

I pre pay mine pre cruise, but if you do not do that they will debit your stateroom account, either way you can change them. Now you will get a ticket in your room before last night and its customary to give them last night, as serving teams can be and are changed on breakfast disembarkation. It is correct to check the names on the tickets, I have had mine printed out incorrectly more than once.

And you do not need to hand the ticket to the server for them to collect the tip. You should however, check to ensure that the correct serving team and stateroom attendant are listed on your tickets.

Once they are charged to your onboard account, that's it - DCL gives you the tickets and the envelopes but you don't have to do anything further with them.

This is basically correct. The crew has a "back up" system with the coupons. If for some reason there has been a change in crew member, a crew member who was given the coupon can sign it and turn it in--the tip will be correctly credited to them.

We learned of this when we had a name on our ticket of someone who wasn't even on the ship (we were told that he got off due to a family emergency). I told our head server that our ticket didn't have his name, it had the other name. He said "no problem" and explained their back up system. Note--I had tried to correct this at GS, but somehow their computer system still showed the guy who got off.

Yes, it is ideal if the name on the coupon matches the name of the person who actually served you--in that case, the CM will get the tip even if you don't give them the coupon. BUT if there is ever a discrepency, the coupon serves as their proof/back up system.

This is basically correct. The crew has a "back up" system with the coupons. If for some reason there has been a change in crew member' date=' a crew member who was given the coupon can sign it and turn it in--the tip will be correctly credited to them.

We learned of this when we had a name on our ticket of someone who wasn't even on the ship (we were told that he got off due to a family emergency). I told our head server that our ticket didn't have his name, it had the other name. He said "no problem" and explained their back up system. Note--I had tried to correct this at GS, but somehow their computer system still showed the guy who got off.

Yes, it is ideal if the name on the coupon matches the name of the person who actually served you--in that case, the CM will get the tip even if you don't give them the coupon. BUT if there is ever a discrepency, the coupon serves as their proof/back up system.[/quote']

The important thing is to hand the voucher over so they can do this, if you do not hand it over it may automatically go to the wrong person. If you check the names when you get the tickets it saves a lot of hassle for all. It's happened to me.

Up to you. Some people prefer it so as not to have to worry about the onboard charge, but there are no savings for booking early.

Do you suggest pre paying? We are booking our first cruise with a TA and she suggested it. We haven't booked yet, we're planning Sept 2015.

Do you suggest pre paying? We are booking our first cruise with a TA and she suggested it. We haven't booked yet, we're planning Sept 2015.

We don't because I see no point in giving DCL my money before I need to. Pre-paying doesn't make your life any easier on board (you get the same coupons whether you pre-pay or use the automatic system on board.) The only difference is whether your credit card is charged before you cruise or at the end of the cruise.

SO...if you like to have everything possible paid off before you travel, pre-pay. One other advantage--if you are using a Disney Visa and pre-pay, this qualifies for the 6 months interest free. Shipboard charges do not qualify for this treatment. Since we don't pay interest, it doesn't matter to us.

I always pre pay, in fact my July 2014 cruise is paid in full and tips paid in full.

Reasons.

I do not like the debit each day or a debit at the end of the cruise.

I personally know I will get great service.

If I didn't get good service I would complain.

I like to budget in advance.

You can change them if you require.

We added to them in Alaska last month, only once in over ten cruises have we ever reduced one. And it was just one and gave their money to someone else.

For me it's also when our exchange rate is good.

• 2 weeks later...
I always pre pay, in fact my July 2014 cruise is paid in full and tips paid in full.

Reasons.

I do not like the debit each day or a debit at the end of the cruise.

I personally know I will get great service.

If I didn't get good service I would complain.

I like to budget in advance.

You can change them if you require.

We added to them in Alaska last month, only once in over ten cruises have we ever reduced one. And it was just one and gave their money to someone else.

For me it's also when our exchange rate is good.

So if we do prepay our tips and feel the need either way to adjust them once onboard...we can? If this is possible I might opt to prepay them too as its one less thing to worry about :-)

You can. And assuming you want to adjust them up (way more common) the simplest thing to do is put the extra in the envelope. Depending on the itinerary, great way to use up your extra US Currency (or Euros in the med)

So if we do prepay our tips and feel the need either way to adjust them once onboard...we can? If this is possible I might opt to prepay them too as its one less thing to worry about :-)

Great, thanks guys. I was just thinking that with our Aussie dollar on the way up (slowly) I, I may just pounce and do it when the dollar is good rather than wait and have the dollar slump again.

Cheers :-)

That's what I do with the UK pound, my tips for July next year are pre paid now.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

• 3 months later...

I'm cruising on the Magic tomorrow and have a couple of questions about gratuities ...

What services are covered with the auto tipping? Are any of the individual service providers on the list provided at the end of the cruise NOT covered by the auto gratuity? I just want to make sure I give envelopes to those not covered under the auto tipping.

Also, about room service tipping ... Is room service covered under the auto gratuity, or should I plan on bringing some cash for tipping room service?

I'm cruising on the Magic tomorrow and have a couple of questions about gratuities ...

What services are covered with the auto tipping? Are any of the individual service providers on the list provided at the end of the cruise NOT covered by the auto gratuity? I just want to make sure I give envelopes to those not covered under the auto tipping.

Also, about room service tipping ... Is room service covered under the auto gratuity, or should I plan on bringing some cash for tipping room service?

The 4 main tipped positions--server, assistant server, head server, and stateroom host are covered i the auto tipping.

There is a tip automatically added to any bar item you purchase--you can add addition tip if desired.

Adult dining surcharge includes a modest tip for the server there; most people add some additional tip.

You should bring some cash to tip room service or you can add it to the slip that they SOMETIMES have you sign. Cash is easier.

If you are in concierge, the concierge tip is not in the auto-tipping. Neither is a tip to the cabana host if you rent one of those. Also, you'll need cash to tip the luggage porters if you use one in the terminal.

The 4 main tipped positions--server' date=' assistant server, head server, and stateroom host are covered i the auto tipping.

There is a tip automatically added to any bar item you purchase--you can add addition tip if desired.

Adult dining surcharge includes a modest tip for the server there; most people add some additional tip.

You should bring some cash to tip room service or you can add it to the slip that they SOMETIMES have you sign. Cash is easier.

If you are in concierge, the concierge tip is not in the auto-tipping. Neither is a tip to the cabana host if you rent one of those. Also, you'll need cash to tip the luggage porters if you use one in the terminal.[/quote']

How much do you think one should tip concierge for a 4 nigh cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

How much do you think one should tip concierge for a 4 nigh cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Honestly, I'd base it on what they did for me. If all they did was to sit at the desk in the lounge and "be there," I'd tip them on the same level as a server which is $4 per person in you cabin per night....$15-16 times the number of guests in the cabin. If they were really doing something for me, I'd increase that.

And one personal thought on concierge cabins. The suggested tip for the stateroom host is exactly the same as in a regular cabin ($4 per guest per night). The host has at least twice as much space to clean and depending on the size of the suite, may have the kitchen/dining area as well as extra bathrooms. It is personal opinion, but I think the stateroom host (person who cleans up) should be at least twice as much in a concierge suite as in a normal cabin because they are doing way more work.