Camping on your balcony

Noel182002

We did it once. Not as cool as it sounds. We had a JS Suite on Royal so the balcony was big enough to throw blankets and pillows on the floor. The seas were choppy and we kept getting sprayed with sea water (this was on the much smaller Empress of the Seas). Also, it wasn't very quiet. We kept hearing all sorts of banging and clanging noises through the night. We finally went back inside at 3-4am because we hadn't been able to fall asleep soundly. We were zombies the next day.

I did it one night on our cruise last summer, and contrary to most experiences, I had a great night's sleep. The sound of the surf was relaxing and the temp was just right to sleep with the sky as a blanket. I was bummed that the stars were not there- the ship puts out a lot of light. It may have been cloudy, but honestly with the smoke from the ship and light, I couldn't even tell. Loved waking up to the sunrise on the horizon!

We have had 3 aft wrap balconies, and there is plenty of room on them to camp out. I have done it one night on each cruise. 2 nights were great. One night it started raining and when I woke up I was pretty wet.

I love to do it. Go ahead and give it a try. Nothing better than laying and looking up at the stars and listening to the ocean.

Claudia

i don't think i'd purposely do it or bring a tent or anything...

but i've fallen asleep on the balcony before for a nice period of time (several hours). didn't intend to, but i think i was lulled to sleep by the sounds of the sea while watching out over it late at night. it was actually rather pleasant. this was on a lido balcony, and i don't recall any spray, ever, sailing through the gulf (smooth as glass our sailing).

I love sleeping on the balcony. On my most recent cruise, I slept on the lounger six out of the seven nights. Pure heaven. Love the sounds of the waves. I didn't sleep outside one night because someone a deck or two down was playing music on their balcony. I liked the music they were playing, but I sleep out there because I love the sound of the waves, and the music was distracting. My bf told me I was out there farting in my sleep and snoring, so I guess I should not complain about someone's music. If you were my neighbor on that cruise, I do apologize.

We had an extended balcony on the Legend a few years back. I slept out there during the evenings while wife was getting married. It can be done if ship is between close ports and speed is low. Also weather would play a large part in it. Humidity and rough seas would make it a long night.

We tried the Hammock thing and we hung too low so we took it down.

I did go up to Serenity one early morning an found two young men, maybe around 20ish, sound asleep on some couches all wrapped up in comforters. I think they heard me and I scared them :)

I thought it would be cool to camp out on your balcony... Anyone do that? Got tips? I really wanna sleep on a clam shell but figured I'd get the boot

Two years ago on the Pride we had a regular balcony room and my husband took his mattress and put it on the floor of the balcony and him and my daughter, who was 7 at the time, slept out there. They had a great nights sleep. I just made sure they had plenty of blankets, as it was a bit chilly.

Archived