Are Rental Cars Available at Pier in Basseterre?

frisbeewife

DH and I will be in St. Kitts on Jan 28 and are considering just renting a car and driving ourselves around the island checking out the sights we'd like to see. I did the same thing in St. Maarten last month and it was a wonderful to do what we wanted to do, when we wanted to do it, and not be tied down to a tour's schedule and crowd.

Are there any car rental companies near the pier? Or is self-driving in St. Kitts a bad idea? We aren't put off by driving on the left side of the road, since we spent 2 weeks driving around Scotland and didn't have a problem, so except for that is there anything that would make it a bad idea?

Thanks!

Update: After doing some more reading, maybe driving in St. Kitts isn't the best idea. I have seen people refer to a "taxi driver tour", which I assume means you grab a taxi and ask the driver to take you around. Any idea about how much that costs, assuming a 5 or 6 hour tour?

A car rental will cost at least $40 for the car & you have to get a temp drivers license which costs approx $24, then you have fuel & optional insurance. There are many operators that offer an "Island Tour". The costs can vary depending on duration, tour stops and how many are sharing the ride.

Archived