Is This Normal???

jayjay94

You know your nuts when you have a 10 day booked in Sept, then a 14 day booked in Dec, and needed a 5 day in between. Yes, I'm crazy about cruising, (since my DH will be working, I booked a Fantasy cruise in Nov with my BFF. It's been booked over a month, and DH doesn't know about it yet.. LOL) Thats how nuts I am. I think my DH will have to use handcuffs to keep me at home, but I would probably chew my arm off to go cruising.

You know your nuts when you have a 10 day booked in Sept, then a 14 day booked in Dec, and needed a 5 day in between. Yes, I'm crazy about cruising, (since my DH will be working, I booked a Fantasy cruise in Nov with my BFF. It's been booked over a month, and DH doesn't know about it yet.. LOL) Thats how nuts I am. I think my DH will have to use handcuffs to keep me at home, but I would probably chew my arm off to go cruising.

So all your telling me by this is that the Bug gets worse... Great!! Have fun!!

It's going on two weeks now that I just came back from my first cruise and I am obsessed. I want to go on another one like today.. Just wanted to know if this is normal and if you felt the same way when you went on your first cruise. I catch myself asking random people hey let's go on a cruise. So please advise if I need to seek help.. lol

It's normal for me. Unfortunately it is not normal for my husband. :(

Me too.. I always want to book another one while on board but we oddly enough always wait a month or so then book one.. I am going to try booking one while on board next time.. At least there is always something to look forward too :)

Yep, welcome to the club :D

It's going on two weeks now that I just came back from my first cruise and I am obsessed. I want to go on another one like today.. Just wanted to know if this is normal and if you felt the same way when you went on your first cruise. I catch myself asking random people hey let's go on a cruise. So please advise if I need to seek help.. lol

I LOVE LOVE LOVE TOO CRUISE!!!!! but my DH does not care about it too much so he puts up with it once a year but I could go every month (if I had the money) I love the whole process of looking for the deal, checking fligts, booking motels, packing, transferes, I do it all and he just has to not complain SO much..

Sure our DH's aren't related? LOL. And we're not long lost cousins? You just described DH & me.

Thought the last couple of cruises had made him a total convert like me but when planning for our 25th anniversary next week, I had to convince him to take a cruise instead of land tour. Hoping one next week will do the trick!

Edited by wantocruisemore

Went on our first cruise 3 years ago! Hooked ever since. Went on one about 9 month later. Loved it even more! It has been 2 years since our last one. Thankfully we are going on the Freedom in October. I cannot wait!

I find myself talking about cruises all the time. I think people are sick of me! :) Who cares though.

Best vacations I have ever had have been on our cruises. What do you have to worry about on a cruise??!! Which drink to buy? What bathing suit to wear? Which buffet am I eating at next? LOL! I can handle those problems.

Went on our first cruise 3 years ago! Hooked ever since. Went on one about 9 month later. Loved it even more! It has been 2 years since our last one. Thankfully we are going on the Freedom in October. I cannot wait!

I find myself talking about cruises all the time. I think people are sick of me! :) Who cares though.

Best vacations I have ever had have been on our cruises. What do you have to worry about on a cruise??!! Which drink to buy? What bathing suit to wear? Which buffet am I eating at next? LOL! I can handle those problems.

lol... Those are hard decisions... hahaha Have fun in the freedom..

It may not be "normal" -- but everybody here is literally in the same boat!:D

Actually, I am not in that boat. (well, at least I wasn't...)

I am one who had to ease into a passion for cruising. My first cruise was, shall we say, not what I expected. There were several reasons:

1. I had wanted to cruise, particularly in the Caribbean, for as long as I could remember, so my expectations were sky-high (read "unrealistic").

2. My image of cruising was developed by watching old movies and TV shows depicting elegant people wearing elegant clothing sailing in ginormous staterooms on elegant ships, and dancing in elegant ballrooms. ('nuf said...;))

3. Virtually all of my initial research into cruising was based on Douglas Ward's book, Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships. If there is any publication on the planet which will set you up with unrealistically high expectations for your first cruise, this one is it. And as I said above, I was going into the venture with extremely high expectations already! Having cruised a few times now, I have a love/hate relationship with Doug Ward's book. I buy an updated copy every few years, and I refer to it often -- I even give it as gifts -- but I now recognize the author for being the fabulously persnickety, old-fashioned (as in living in another century) hyper-elitist that he is. (I can say that because until I cruised, I was an elitist of similar stripe.)

4. I am prone to pre-travel anxiety, and this weakness (which hits me directly in my tummy, if you get my drift...) kicked into high gear as my husband and I prepared to sail out of the country together for the first time, just after depositing our five children into the hands of relatives whom I did not entirely trust to play Mom and Dad exactly as we would do. :o On top of this:

...a. I did not suspect that I would have any trouble with motion sickness, so I did not preemptively take the seasick meds I had packed, and

...b. The ship's stabilizers were malfunctioning while we sailed into high winds and their resultant choppy seas.

These two factors, added to my anxiety-induced icky stomach, resulted in my feeling queasy for the first few days of the cruise (even after taking the meds the first night at sea) and thus not having as much enjoyment from these days (including two port stops) as I might have.

5. After my stomach settled down, I loved the experiences we had in each port so much that I felt I wanted to stay longer to get to know these places better, but of course, I could not. This added to my initial impression that perhaps cruising wasn't my ideal vacation choice. So I began to research resorts in the Caribbean as a substitute for cruising. But I never found anything I was willing to commit to, so nothing came of this research.

BUT, after some time had gone by (months? a year?) I began to look back extremely fondly on my first cruise, recognizing that it really had been a wonderful experience in spite of the few unexpected minor disappointments, and I began to long to try it again. It didn't seem that resorts would work out, and at least I now knew what I was getting myself into if I cruised.

And so we cruised again. I, a wiser and more realistic traveler, had a fabulous time, and then I was hooked! I still think about resorts from time to time, but I have realized that I love being at sea (not on the beach, but at sea) and I can only do this through cruising!

So I guess I had a longer-than-average "incubation period" for this disease called "cruisitis," but like most on CC, I am not looking for a cure!

Edited by SeagoingMom

• 4 months later...
Finally going on my second cruise now in Feb... :D so six month later I did it.. And planning on another one for the summer... :D

Congrats!! I read this entire thread thinking 1) how funny it was, and 2) how the 'behaviors' are exactly like mine! And then I get to the end and you, the OP, have commented just today! Too cool!

Enjoy your 2nd cruise and come back and let us know how awesome it was!!!

Edited by 2bthereagain

My new obsession is doing a B2B. I even have Bill looking at them...he can't deny the value for us with kids still in camp! And yes, I think I was "hooked"after my first cruise, but there wasn't time back in the day working long hours with babies in the house. Once they hit three and were trained, cruising became our annual vacation. It doesn't hurt living on the eastern seaboard and pretty much loathing flying in an airplane, either. Have fun cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

felt the same way.... booked our upcoming last fall for May..... taking for ever...

Congrats!! I read this entire thread thinking 1) how funny it was, and 2) how the 'behaviors' are exactly like mine! And then I get to the end and you, the OP, have commented just today! Too cool!

Enjoy your 2nd cruise and come back and let us know how awesome it was!!!

Lol.. how funny. Yes this cruising thing is addicting. Excited for the next cruise but it will be a whole different story. Going on a Disney cruise with my aunt her mother and two little cousins so this should be interesting. I see myself looking up the adult section in the Disney cruise to see how it is. Either way its a cruise and I can take all the booze that I want that fits in my carry on. So I will make the best of this cruise Disney or not. Lol

felt the same way.... booked our upcoming last fall for May..... taking for ever...

I feel your pain. I just booked this cruise about 2 weeks ago for practically next month and I feel that its taking to long. Lol but you know how it is once it gets here it ends so fast that I think it more painful then waiting. Lol. So all we can do is keep booking. :D

My new obsession is doing a B2B. I even have Bill looking at them...he can't deny the value for us with kids still in camp! And yes, I think I was "hooked"after my first cruise, but there wasn't time back in the day working long hours with babies in the house. Once they hit three and were trained, cruising became our annual vacation. It doesn't hurt living on the eastern seaboard and pretty much loathing flying in an airplane, either. Have fun cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That is my goal to one day do a B2B....