Barbados/turtles

roundtheworld04

We sailed with Calabaza (spelling) sailings and had the time of our lives. The crew was AMAZING - when the original place they see turtles didn't turn out, we went to another spot and swam with them. They included underwater pics of us with the turtles, a fantastic lunch, snacks and a few libations. We'd go with them again in a heartbeat!

Oh - one other bonus - only about 10 of us on the catamaran compared to the 50+ on others!! Love, Love, Love them!!

Can anyone help me with directions as to viewing/swimming with the turtles in Barbados. There are a lot of choices via Trip Advisor. I realize there is never a guarantee that you will see them, but sure would like to have a good chance while there.

I highly recommend El Tigre; one of the best excursions I have ever done in the Caribbean. Got to swim right next to several sea turtles and wonderful catamaran and extremely friendly and helpful guides.

http://www.eltigrecruises.com/

This past April, we we made a port stop in Barbados and we booked a tour with Elegance. I was dying to go snorkelling since I love turtles. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour and the catamaran was beautiful. The staff could not do enough for us... the food was great, they kept everyone's glasses full and they were so friendly and helpful. I believe that the maximum number of people they take is 12 or 14. I think we only had about 10 people that day.

However, once we approached our first snorkeling spot, the staff told us that there was currently an abundance of sea lice in the water. We were told that if you went in the water, you would feel lots of tiny stings but that they weren't too bad. The situation was the same at the second snorkeling spot. Several people did go in the water, but all of them said that the sea lice bites did sting and that it was quite annoying.

There was absolutely no way I was going in the water in the presence of sea lice. I was really upset because I had been looking so forward to that excursion. Although I did enjoy the tour anyway, we would've canceled had we known in advance about the sea lice. Chances are that you will be fine when you go, but just be forewarned that this can and does happen. Obviously, the sea lice are no reflection on Elegance. People on all tours were affected. I just wished that Elegance had told us this before we boarded and had given us the opportunity to cancel. I think it would've been the right thing to do. The only reason we booked the tour was to snorkel and see turtles. Had I known, I would've done something else that day.

We sailed with Shasa last year and are booked to sail with them again this year. They pick you up at the port and drive you to the catamaran, which you board from the beach. Their strategy is to drive a good portion of the way there so that you can beat many of the other catamarans/operations and get some good, quiet time in with the turtles. It worked for us. We had got there first and had a good long swim with the turtles before most operators got there. Afterwards, we were given the option of another snorkle stop or a sight-seeing sail back towards the ship, which is the option our group chose. If you're looking for a laid back half-day sail that is also reasonably priced (but still has free-flowing rum punches, juice, beer, water, etc.), this is the way to go.

Archived