Travel insurance when awaiting heart tests

Tudorcruisers

Quick update re my post yesterday. Spoke to original company again today and I was right after all - I am covered. The idiots I spoke to yesterday are all going to be given more training!! Decided to go to Claims dept and spoke to someone senior there who was really shocked at the incorrect information I had been given. Everything those guys told me was completely wrong and makes you wonder how many other customers have they told they weren't covered?

It is an annual policy which we have had for 3 years and it carries on for as long as we pay a monthly amount. I was absolutely fine when cruise was booked so I was at a loss as to why they kept telling me that I wasn't covered now if I took ill on cruise and also that if I had to cancel through being unfit to travel they wouldn't cover that . All that was of course nonsense!!!

Thanks again everyone for all the great advice and help you all posted for me.

Quick update re my post yesterday. Spoke to original company again today and I was right after all - I am covered. The idiots I spoke to yesterday are all going to be given more training!! Decided to go to Claims dept and spoke to someone senior there who was really shocked at the incorrect information I had been given. Everything those guys told me was completely wrong and makes you wonder how many other customers have they told they weren't covered?

It is an annual policy which we have had for 3 years and it carries on for as long as we pay a monthly amount. I was absolutely fine when cruise was booked so I was at a loss as to why they kept telling me that I wasn't covered now if I took ill on cruise and also that if I had to cancel through being unfit to travel they wouldn't cover that . All that was of course nonsense!!!

I am glad you got the coverage sorted out.

Next, let us hope the tests go well so you may enjoy that cruise.

Good luck:)

Glad it worked out for you and hope the tests give positive news too.

I wish I could believe that the retraining will take place but I am doubtful. It can be beneficial for staff to give the wrong information at times.

You are in a different position to us in that you are paying for your annual travel insurance. Ours came with our bank account and, in theory, should have continued providing there was no break in cover but this was not so. My pre-existing condition declared when we first started the cover attracted increasingly large supplementary charges. There was no supplement originally and my condition had not worsened. As we both developed additional conditions, the insurers were advised and eventually they would not cover us.

Unfortunately, they can change the T&Cs of continuous cover insurance over time and it is those at the time of booking any trip that apply. I would check those T&C changes carefully.

Sue

Sorry to hear that Sue. Ours also came with a bank account but we pay an amount each month and as long as that is paid the policy is in force. When all tests are complete we are going to look at another policy I will feel much happier with. Good luck.

Thanks but we have adjusted to there going to be difficulties with things like insurance from now on. At first, it is annoying. Just because the NHS is working well and worrying signs are picked up and medical tests follow - things are OK now but you are considered to have complex problems and are peanlised from then on. Others have doctors who are not so conscientious, may actually be more sick but can get insurance without any issues.

Our medical conditions are such that we are extremely unlikely to claim for cancellation or medical costs overseas. With UK insurers now being so difficult about claims [as others have pointed out] you dare not be less than honest. And, as others have also raised, it is almost impossible to include the risks of elderly relatives who are not travelling. Despite anything else, is it right to invade their privacy so that you can make an accurate declaration to your insurers?

Anyway, moan over. It seems that you do not have complex/multiple medical issues and, with luck you never will. From the experiences of others who have posted, you are likely to have good news from your further tests and will be able to celebrate this news on your next cruise. I agree, an insurer with somewhat better customer service is probably a good move. You do not want them adding to your stress at a time like this.

Best wishes.

Sue

Archived