St. John's Kayak & Snorkel Eco Trip

P&P

Our family will be taking our 1st cruise, southern caribbean, in a few weeks. This excursion sounds like something we would all enjoy but I would like to get positive or negative experiences before I book.

Hi There!

My family of 4- huband, son-20, daughter-18, and I just returned from a 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise (Carnival Destiny) last week. It was my 4th cruise so I no longer fear not booking shore excursions with the cruise line. It has been my experience that with the proper research on websites like this, that we have gotten a better value and generally a longer shore excursion by booking privately, not to mention an experience with a much smaller group.

Anyways, I wanted to tell you about what we did when we arrived in St Thomas, as in my family's collective opinions, the highlight of our entire cruise. We booked a half day sea kayak and snorkeling adventure with Arawak Expeditions www.arawakexp.com, and had the time of our lives! First of all, you need to catch a taxi once off the boat to the Redhook ferry. Buy a ticket for the ferry to take you to Cruz Bay, on St John ($7.00 ea. if I recall correctly). Once there, look about 500 yards to the south and you'll see the kayaks from Arawak lined up on the beach.... we had a terrific teacher, 27 year old Dave, who gave us a crash course in kayaking, then we were off to Honeymoon Cay, for a refreshing dip on a near deserted beach on the island....from there we paddled to Henley Cay for an incredible snorkeling experience, where we had the uninhabited island to ourselve! The snorkeling was incredible! Warm, clear water and abundant sea life- we were in heaven!

The trip ended all too soon, and we caught the ferry back to St Thomas then boarded the ship. What an amazing adventure! I can't wait to go back to St. John and spend a week there! It's two-thirds national park and unbelieveable! If you're feeling adventurous, we would whole-heartedly recommend this experience!

Enjoy your day!

Sally

Sally, we're going to go with your recommendation - it sounds too good to pass up! Your kids are about the same as our daughters and I wanted to ask what else your family did that we should consider.

P&P, Sally is absolutely correct in her reasons for booking your own adventures. The only possible downfall of going on your own is the very remote chance that you might miss the ship if you get back too late. An intelligent person should have no trouble planning well enough to avoid this problem.

Even though it is a bit of work to get over to St. John, it is definitely worth the effort even if it is only to avoid the crowds on St. Thomas.

Sally, you paint a wonderful picture with your words. I hope you will post more often in the future as you seen to have a knack for writing.

Archived