Walkie Talkies on the ship

Diver_Dave

Has anyone used the Motorola walkie talkies aboard ship to keep in touch with their kids in lieu of cell phones? I hear that there is a lot of travelers doing this making it difficult to make contact with their kids.

Has anyone used the Motorola walkie talkies aboard ship to keep in touch with their kids in lieu of cell phones? I hear that there is a lot of travelers doing this making it difficult to make contact with their kids.

Didn't you just answer your own question? :D

We didn't ourselves and I did notice a few others. You can also rent them from the ship.

when i was on the triumph in june, i seen a couple of kids with them and the main conversation was, (where are you?, what did you eat?, where are you going now? and the big one, stay out of trouble now ok....lol) the little one just rolled his eyes and said ok to his mother and took off with his ten other friends(you know that is trouble)....lol

We have Motorola's which have 22 channels and 99 side codes. So unless you and someone else are on the same channel and code you should be fine. People use them every where these days. On ships, fairs, amusement parks, if they didn't work well with others using them also. If people had problems with them I don't think you would see so many being used.

We used Motorolas in April on the Conquest. Wonderful to keep track of 15 yo twins. This was our best vacation ever - I didn't have to worry about them not being with us. I knew I could get in touch with them whenever I needed to.

I store them with my other cruise necessities - over the door organizer, travel space bags etc.

We traveled with them a few times but they have become so opular that we found them almost useless. Every time we found an open channel, someone else also found it. We wound up just agreeing to meet or call at a certain time. They have worked great in other situations but have had minimal luck on ships.

My then 14yr old son used the walkie talking for about 1 hour and finally gave up.

They were just not cool. He found them annoying. He just did his own thing.

We used post its.. and left messages in the cabin or on the cabin door.

He ate breakfast whenever he wanted to same with lunch. I only wanted him back before dinner. We never had a problem.

We also left each other voice messages on the phone in our cabin.

He had a curfew just to check in in the evening if he wanted to stay out past midnight.

I hear that there is a lot of travelers doing this making it difficult to make contact with their kids.

That is true. That beeping sound gets on my nerves. But we were thinking about using them this year. But I don't want one. Besides do you REALLY want to know where the kids are every 2 minutes? ;)

We used the motorola 7-mile range units and we gave up on them. The kids didn't like them and they were actually really annoying to have to try to keep track of. If the kids were swimming in the pool, they would were nervous that someone would come along and swipe them. I hated trying to find a channel that no one else was using -- the constant "ringing" and chatter was NOT what I wanted to hear on my vacation! Save your money.....:cool:

I like using them normally...but in this case, I really don't need the extra thing to carry around. Keeping organized, making plans to meet, and things like that make more sense to me on a cruise ship.

Now when it comes to excursions, with a large group going several different directions...that's another story entirely.

i cant imagine cruising without them! and i do not take children. we use them all the time. afriend was shopping on st thomas a few years ago, i heard calling me wanting info about a expensive camera was wanted to buy. i filled her in and she loves her new camcorder now! they fit in a beach bag or purse or slip it on yo waist. we have aplan with going up a channel when the kids start screwing around. works fine.

Loved using them 2 years ago, and plan to do so again. We never kept them on, we had designated times to turn on and check in. Great for going shopping in port with others, as you can separate and meet up easily.

Keeping organized, making plans to meet, and things like that make more sense to me on a cruise ship.

QUOTE]

We always have plans too. Every night after dinner we read the capers and highlight whatever we want to do. Then the next morning at breakfast we talk about what time we should meet and where. It always works. But this year my wife wants to try the walkie-talkies. So we just might use them.

Archived