Carnival Excursions - should I cancel now cause of possible rain?

heathercruisin

I have already booked the Stingray, Turtle Farm & Hell excursion in Grand Cayman for next week but they are calling for rain, possible storms. If they cancel the stingray portion of the trip will they still do the other parts since they are not on the water. Will I still have to pay the full price?

Also we booked the Passion beach excursion in Cozumel...same weather forecast. While they still might have the excursion I don't really want to be on the beach in yucky weather.

I'm thinking of canceling them now then book them the last minute ..like the night before. Do these tours tend to sell out? I'm needing to stick with the carnival based excursions not go out on our own.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

In all honesty, I think the op needs to cancel and take her luck at there still being openings for what she wants to do later. There is no way to guarantee the weather will not be yucky, and just because it is yucky does not mean an excursion will be cancelled.

In all honesty, I think the op needs to cancel and take her luck at there still being openings for what she wants to do later. There is no way to guarantee the weather will not be yucky, and just because it is yucky does not mean an excursion will be cancelled.

Agreed how does happen in hurricane season??????

I've been to passion island several times and know what it's like with great weather. I've also been on a day when the rain kept coming and going the entire time we were there. We still had a lot of fun. There is shelter, food, and drink. When the rain blew over, the sun came out and we enjoyed the water. Just saying...if you decide to chance it, it might turn out to be ok.

When we went on a St John excursion (with another line), it rained just about the entire time after we arrived and the whole way back. We still had a great time! However, we were snorkeling, so with your mask in the water, it didn't really matter.

Now, on that same cruise line, people had excursions booked for one particular stop and the line just cancelled everyone's excursions because of winds/heavy rains and refunded them as well. If it were me, I wouldn't cancel ahead of time.

If the OP is fretting already about a weather forecast of rain a week away in the tropics, she needs to cancel for peace of mind.

Even hometown predictions generally are not accurate, unless you have a guaranteed hurricane arriving.

In the Caribbean, esp during hurricane season, you can't look at weather predictions for rain a week in advance. Storms pop up and go away so fast. Everything is fluid down there, weather-wise. I just spent over a week in Riviera Maya and they called for rain every day. We had one steady, rainy day the entire time. And we watched a storm blow over Cozumel from the mainland that never touched us. A couple days we had passing showers that were over in 30 mins. But it was still amazing :)

Do yourself a favor and quit looking at the forecast. But like RuthlessBoss said..if you are gonna do nothing but worry about it, cancel. You can't control it, predict it or change it.

The OP has plainly stated she does not want to do the beach in yucky weather. The fact you went and it rained and enjoyed it has no bearing at all on the OP. She doesn't want to go to the beach if it rains. She needs to cancel until she knows better what to expect.

We were in Cozumel a couple weeks ago, forecast was 80% chance of rain. It dumped for about 15 minutes around 9:30 & that was it for the day. Last year thunderstorms were predicted while DD was on Coz, Carnival gave them the option to cancel.

My 2011 Carnival Freedom cruise had to divert two ports Limon, Costa Rica and Colon Panama because of hurricane Rina and they took us to Montego Bay Jamaica and Grand Turk instead. All of my excursions were refunded and I didn't even know it until I went to turn on the tv and started going through the channels and notice the channel with your sail and sign account....a few minutes later the CD came on to explain what was going on and how they had a whole list of excursions for the two newest ports....it was cool ...we booked two new ones that were cheaper than the ones we had previously booked. We also got to meet the comedian Sinbad on our Grand Turk snorkel catamaran excursion...he made it a lot of fun for our group. All in all my experience with Carnival and their excursion refunds has been great.

Thanks everyone for your input. Since I can cancel 24 hrs in advance I will check on it then.

You chose the best option. If you cancelled now and tried to book it again onboard, you risk being shut out and disappointed if the excursion is sold out. Enjoy your cruise!!!

I have already booked the Stingray, Turtle Farm & Hell excursion in Grand Cayman for next week but they are calling for rain, possible storms. If they cancel the stingray portion of the trip will they still do the other parts since they are not on the water. Will I still have to pay the full price?

Also we booked the Passion beach excursion in Cozumel...same weather forecast. While they still might have the excursion I don't really want to be on the beach in yucky weather.

I'm thinking of canceling them now then book them the last minute ..like the night before. Do these tours tend to sell out? I'm needing to stick with the carnival based excursions not go out on our own.

Keep them booked - if Carnival has to cancel it, they'll refund your money right then-and-there as OBC (refundable) Of course, if they operate it and you choose not to go, you "eat" the expense. To be honest, if you keep it booked but you can see the weather is going to be bad, you could go to the excursions desk and cancel it, but you might only get a partial refund. I honestly don't know...

When we were on the Freedom in 2012, we booked an excursion in Ocho Rios one or two days before. It was the Plantation tour/Dolphins Cove excursion. When we awoke in Jamaica, the sky was dark as we ate our breakfast at Lido buffet. Soon, it was pouring.

Thinking that it would only rain for a short while and to make the best of it, we proceeded to go to the port terminal and the Carnival Rep there said that tour was continuing, but if we wished we could receive a 100% refund. DH & I talked about it, but in the end I said "what else are we going to do", and "we may never get back here". We went ahead, and luckily, at the plantation tour, there was a COVERED ride. Whew! Then we went to Dolphin's Cove, had our lunch, looked in some shops, and luckily the rain had all but stopped at that point. Yes, it was too ugly to use the beach and I realize this was not just a beach excursion, but my point was that it was very nice of Carnival to OFFER the total refund of the excursion if we chose to cancel.

Here are a couple of pics to show the rain that day:

178979_10151235764253958_1084276541_n.jpg

546962_10151235765338958_1310313808_n.jpg

579187_10151235765123958_127615297_n.jpg

I have had several excursion's booked with carnival and it did rain in the past, and they were the ones that cancelled last min and refunded our money with out us even asking for it. they will not make you go in the rain.

One of our Carnival excursions in either Belize (ruins) or Honduras (monkeys & birds) we had to sign a waver that we would not get our money back if it rained. It was misty but never a full rain. I did use my umbrella a couple of times, though.

Archived