How do you stay busy?

floydfamily4

We are going on a family cruise (me, DH, twin 9 year olds and aunt and her DH) on the Magic from Galveston on 12/1. I am very excited and have found myself on these boards soaking up lots of information. Because we are traveling in December and the weather might not be poolside friendly, I have started wondering what will we do for fun? We are not big drinkers and we don't really gamble. What do others who don't really drink or gamble do to have fun on the FUN SHIPS during the 2 sea days especially? I know we aren't the only one's...Thanks in advance:D

Usually there are too many things to do! On Sea Days, trivia contests, scavenger hunts, bingo. etc. Just look in the Fun Times that will be in your cabin the night before. I am sure the kids will have lots to do in camp carnival. Explore the ship, shop in the Fun Shops, read. There is always a lot to do. Sometimes just relaxing is great especially if you have done a lot of shore excursions the days before.

Most of the shows are child friendly, except for the adult comedy. There are tons of activities for the kids, but they don't include the adults. If you are looking for something to do as a group, there are board games in the library. I've seen families happily playing Monopoly on a sea day. There are also tv trivia games you could probably play as a family. I'd also recommend going to the towel folding demonstration. Kids (as well as adults) have fun with that. I'm sure you will have a great time without drinking or gambling. Enjoy your cruise.

We are going on a family cruise (me, DH, twin 9 year olds and aunt and her DH) on the Magic from Galveston on 12/1. I am very excited and have found myself on these boards soaking up lots of information. Because we are traveling in December and the weather might not be poolside friendly, I have started wondering what will we do for fun? We are not big drinkers and we don't really gamble. What do others who don't really drink or gamble do to have fun on the FUN SHIPS during the 2 sea days especially? I know we aren't the only one's...Thanks in advance:D

You will get the FUN TIMES each night which lists all the activites for the next day. I review it and write the time and place in a small 3 by 5 notebook that I keep in my breast pocket. The problem is that you just can't be in 2 places at the same time. Just a few examples: Tea Time, Fun Ashore Talk, Exercise Room, Spa, Family Dance Class, Cooking Demonstration, Fun Shop Sales, Seminar - Walking in comfort, Bean Bag Toss, Napkin Folding Demonstration, 70's Name That Song, Veteran's Meeting, Question & Answer with the Captain, Ice Carving demonstration, I Love Lucy Trivia, Michael Jackson Trivia, Where in the World Game, Herbal Seminar, Geography Trivia, Breeze Scavenger Hunt, Camp Carnival Talent Show, etc. See what I mean?

I'm not a big drinker or gambler. Can't lay out in the sun because I had skin cancer. But I haven't been bored on sea days. Plenty of activities as others have mentioned, but just relaxing is entertaining enough. It's not every day that I can look out my window and see the ocean go by.:)

As richfret pointed out, the FunTimes will be delivered to your cabin each evening, with a list of the next day's activities. The great thing about a cruise is, especially on sea days, you can do as much or as little as you want. We've found that (as others have), after several cruises, sea days are great for relaxing and doing as little as possible. Find a quiet place to read, pick a spot on the Promenade deck (with a cool beverage) and sit and people watch, or take a casual stroll and explore the ship. Don't try to do everything, or you'll be so worn out that you'll need another vacation just to recuperate from your cruise.:cool:

Think positive, once you head south it warms up - even in December the ports will be in the mid 80's - so even if it is cool on the way down, the spas are always nice and warm. There's 4 of them on the sides, and last year on the Dream nobody ever used them - it was crazy (in a great way!)

Even if the activities still aren't doing it for you - maybe try a team scavenger hunt - search out the coin hidden on the ship - use the "hidden doors" to access the balcony's that run across the front of the ship and take in an awesome view - there's a goofy golf course - go to the photo section here and get ideas on fun and crazy pictures you might be able to duplicate and make a special memory -

I'm betting you'll find lots and be just fine - we're 3 months behind you so take care of "our" ship and let us know how it goes!

We have cruised in Dec quite a few times, by day 2 the weather is usually warm enough for the pool. The Caribbean is always warm. ;)

Sea days are our families favorite! We sleep in, enjoy a nice breakfast, hang out by the pool, roam the ship checking everything out, watch all the happenings (poolside entertainment, karaoke etc) do trivia, snack on yummy food throughout the day or just find a nice spot to relax with a book.

I see mention of towel folding and cooking demos.... I have cruised twice and never seen those... Are they in the fun times too???

Yes they are in the Fun Times. Usually those activities are only offered once during a cruise, so you've only got one shot. Based on my best recollection, I'd say they'd both be on sea days.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

How to stay busy!? I don't know how people find time to relax on some cruises!

There are copies of Fun Times posted around the board, look a few up. Even if it's not for your same cruise it will give you an idea.

Off the top of my head some things I remember are: Movies, shows, towel folding class, eating, shopping, walking around, gym, fitness classes, spa, hot tubs, trivia, dance class, karaoke, comedians, scavenger hunts, there will be activities in the kid club for your twins, games, meetings, talks, sightsee, people watch, hang out and chat, read a book, stare at the ocean...

Oh and don't forget: not doing laundry, dishes, dusting, making the bed, feeding pets, running errands, going to work...

If you get bored, you will be the first!

We bring different color highlighters. Each person gets a color. We review the fun times and each person highlights what activities they want to do for the day. I *might* be a little ocd-ish. Lol. You won't be bored.

I do the exact same thing. color coded so I know who wants what and when.

Also, don't forget, depending on the ship, some have the sliding dome so if it's cool out or raining, you can still enjoy the pool.

It is only Sea Days one can get bored....Ports are what we cruise for, myself, wife and child (9). Our child dislikes Camp Carnival so she hangs with us, typical Sea Day:

I am up and out of cabin by 5:30/6AM, I drink coffee, walk and read, then bring buffet breakfast back to my girls around 7/7:30. By 8:30 we wander to a top deck and relax, all 3 of us are avid readers. We then look for a trivia contest and head to an early buffet lunch before the crowds.

We normally cruise with my sisters family, so after lunch we set up board game time with them. After this my sister will take the girls swimming ( wife and I hate crowds and avoid the Lido pool area). We then head back to the room for a few moments and off to the buffet around 5 for dinner ( we don't do the MDR). After that we hit the room for the daughters homework ( she brings it from school since we cruise during school). After that we take her for ice cream or a bit of a show. At 8:30/9 PM it is her bedtime, I settle her down, read myself and we are both out shortly. The wife goes out for late shows with my sister.

That has been the norm on the last few cruises for Sea Days

We cruised this past Jan. on Magic. Embarkation day was sunny and comfortable and there was some kids in the pool. First sea day was cloudy and cooler, still found things to do. The pool was being used by a few, they were either numb or a card carrying member of the Polar Bear Club. :D Looking over my Fun Times I see several trivia games, Guess that song, Hairy Chest Contest, Bean Bag Toss and karaoke. There is also a swinging ring game of some kind outside the Red Frog Pub. It looks like most of the activities were in the Ocean Plaza Deck 5 or Red Frog next to Ocean Plaza. We didn't have kids with us, so we just used that day to wander the ship.

The second sea day, the weather should be warmer and there is a whole water park and rope course on Magic. You'll be able to see both even before you board the ship.

I've sailed on the Magic twice, great ship. Sea days there is lots to do, especially on Magic. I always take my Kindle and intend to read, nice quiet spot on deck 5 or aft on deck 11, but I usually just zone out watching the water!

My very first cruise I tried to do it all and was really tired when the cruise was over. You'll have a great time, even if all you do is relax!

Archived