Looking for RSSC replacement-Seabourn vs. Silverseas

ElleninNY

We are devoted fans of Radisson, having cruised on the PG, Mariner and Voyager but find ourselves looking elsewhere because we are looking for a Mediterranean itinerary in June or July or early August which Radisson doesn't have. What we loved about Radisson was the following:

1) Open seating

2) No tipping policy

3) On the PG and the Mariner in Alaska, country club casual always; on the Voyager, just one formal night in a week (and most people weren't all that formal).

4. There has been much discussion about the lack of balconies on Seabourn. Are there none at all or are they all French balconies?

Knowing that, could anyone out in cyberland tell us where they think we'd be most comfortable? I understand that Crystal is wonderful but does have fixed seating and a tipping policy.

Many thanks for your wisdom.

ElleninNY:

Have never cruised Silver Sea but have sailed on Crystal (Harmony & Symphony) 8 times and the Seabourn Pride 4 times...will be sailing on the Pride in August and probably over the holidays. To answer your questions:

1. Although my wife & I like Crystal, we switched back to Seabourn because of the 2 seatings & the tipping policy. Also, the dining room staff & cabin stewardess never, ever acknowleged gratuities, which we always pre-paid. In our estimation,the staff on present day Crystal is not as good as it was when we first started cruising the Line

2. Seabourn is as advertised - all inclusive except for shore excursions, messages, personal items in the gift shop, etc. No tipping required nor expected, although one can contribute to the Crew Fund, which benefits everyone. After at most two days, you're known by name...crew can't do enough for you. Even remember what you drink. Food can be somewhat rich, but there are alternate selections for people like me who have trouble with anything rich.

3. Seabourn does have a "dress code" in that they request that you dress as stated in the daily paper. They have added many "casual dress" nights, which they did not have when we sailed in 2002. One of the reasons we like Seabourn is because of the varied "dress code", and especially the people you meet.

4. Seabourn does not have true verandas. What they do have should suffice.

Regards....Leonid

I think a thorough perusal of the threads here and on Silverseas BB will give you a basically balanced view of your questions. Here we are obviously more 'pro' than 'con', of course. And some of us (like me) have not even bothered to try another line after discovering the Triplets. But I think it's the itinerary that should guide your decisions. The Med is delightful and there are so many options.

Jane in PHL

I've sailed with RSSC (sorry, I just don't understand all the hype), Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal and if you're looking for another experience, go with Seabourn. While I found Radisson's food to be quite lacking, the food on Seabourn is outstanding, as is their service. While the suites on Radisson are far and away the best of any line, the cabins on Seabourn are nice, although lacking a true balcony for most of their suites. I just didn't care for Silversea in terms of their food and most especially service. Whenever I needed to speak to someone, be it in the shore excursion office or concierge, I was made to feel as if I was imposing on their time. That's not the case with Seabourn. Their staff, regardless of the department, is exceptional. As for Crystal, while they do have two seatings for dinner, there are enough alternate dining options so that doesn't have to be a big problem. And if you find the right travel agent, you won't have to pay gratuities---my TA belongs to one of the travel consortiums called Select Traveler, and they pay gratuities, along with providing free shore excursions, parties and other hosted events. Since I'm not a big alcohol drinker, the all included drinks isn't a deal breaker for me---and since Crystal includes soda and bottled water along with specialty coffees, that's all that matters to me.

Kitty9; Good response...Am in the process of looking for a new travel agent such as the one you use.My travel agency, which is Golden Bear Travel in Novato, CA, is an American Express company and, according to my sources, maybe dissolved and the bookings spread among AmEx PTS agents. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Leonid

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond. Jan Pond's comment that the itinerary will determine our choice is probably correct. Although I think I have eliminated Crystal because of its size, tipping policy (I can;t change travel agents), and fixed seating policy. I don't want to be forced to avoid the main dining room in order to be independent.

Golden Bear Travel is on its way out. It is my guess that the pending bookings will to to Platinum Travel which IMHO is not a good thing. There are \some very good TAs which are associated with Ensemble and Virtuoso which provide some extras on specific cruises.

Having sailed on RSSC and Seabourn a few times each, you will see a marked improvement in food quality and variety (not that RSSC is bad, but Seabourn is just that much better), better wines, better - more personalized - service, etc.

Seabourn is a bit more formal in the evenings, though. In fact, compared to the Mariner in Alaska, it is signficantly more formal.

To all -

We are considering shifting to SeaBourn from Sea Dream since the best time for travel for us are school holidays (hubbie is a teacher) and we were overrun with children last time in March.

I understand Seabourn permits smoking in all public areas at all times (indoors and outdoors) -- is that correct? For a non-smoker, the SD's outdoor public spaces are large enough that even when in the presence of the occasional not so considerate smokers (most were extremely considerate), it wasn't a problem.

thanks

FT

If my still memory serves me, there is smoking in parts of the dining and outof doors in the Veranda Cafe. There is also smoking in the bars the Club and the two main lounges. People also smoke on deck and at the outdoor sky bar. That said, as a non smoker I've never experienced any problems. Mt wife is a former smoker with lung problems from you know what and has never experienced any discomfort. Seabourn smokers are quite considerate of those of us who do nt puff. My wife & I do not find it a problem.

Leonid

Iamboatman: I am a Golden Bear Travel client. I too do not look forward dealing with PTS. My experiences so far (booking International travel since I have an AmEx Platinum card) has been hit and miss. Can you recommend a goog travel agency/agent that deals with the two groups you mentioned?

Leonid

FT:

I have reactive airway disease, always carry an inhaler, and have never needed it on any Seabourn cruise. To be honest, I never even realized that smoking was allowed in the dining room until it was noted on this board. I have met only one diesrespectful (cigar) smoker and he thought he had the Constellation lounge all to himself all morning on a rocky sea day and never looked around.

Jane in PHL

Jane Pond: Maybe I misspoke, but I would swear that when we asked the Maitre d' for a table for two, he said all he had was a table for two in or very near the smoking area. This was on the Barcelona to Istanbul Pride cruise this past April. Would not be the first time I missunderstood someone. Seems to come with age.

Leonid

I believe smoking, which was only allowed on 2 or 3 tables in a far corner of the dining room, is no longer permitted at all in the dining room. In the club smoking is only allowed in the bar area, which is somewhat separate. And only certain areas of the outside decks and Sky Bar are smoking-permitted.

Archived