Just Booked My First Solo!

jandjtexas

Price on the Triumph was too good to pass up. So, I'm now booked for the Halloween cruise. Probably not the best cruise to go solo for the first time, but I'm going for it. Past cruises I ended up doing most things on board alone, so that won't bother me too much. How is dining alone in the MDR? Any problems or stares when sitting alone at a table reading? Any tips?

Price on the Triumph was too good to pass up. So, I'm now booked for the Halloween cruise. Probably not the best cruise to go solo for the first time, but I'm going for it. Past cruises I ended up doing most things on board alone, so that won't bother me too much. How is dining alone in the MDR? Any problems or stares when sitting alone at a table reading? Any tips?

On my last cruise I was solo for the first time. I was seated at a table with one married couple, 2 pairs of ladies travelling as solo friends. It was a little awkward sitting for a long dinner like that with so many strangers but we all chatted and got along well. There were nights that some people didn't show. People will ask why you are travelling alone. I was asked that several times on the cruise during the first dinner, at brunch, at the bar, and on shore. Saying something like "no one else could come and it was better on my own than not going at all." People react well to that.

If you plan on sitting alone at the MDR, then that's your choice if that's what you want. I doubt that anyone will give you any disapproving looks. If they do, don't pay them any mind. But me personally, I would get kinda lonely sitting there for so long by myself. I would rather go to the buffet.

Try the MDR and see how it goes. You can check to see what your table looks like as far as solos, couples, kids on the first day in the MDR. Me personally, I would avoid tables with families that have small children.

On my most recent cruise every time I ate in the MDR I asked for a table to myself and read on my kindle while I ate. I am not sure why; usually I enjoy asking to be seated with others and meet some new folks, but this cruise I guess I was just feeling like being alone! I didn't notice any funny looks; but then again I wasn't looking around to see if anyone was looking at me! :)

I always take the anytime dining option rather than fixed seating on my cruises.

Congrats JandJTexas! I've got my first solo booked too (Triumph, December), I'm super excited! I plan to do My Time and eat alone also. I guess it's human nature to see a person alone and feel sorry for them, to assume they wish they were with others...so I plan to try to ignore any stares. Guess some people, perhaps a lot of people, can't understand wanting to be alone! I'll probably take a book or my iPad, but often when I dine alone (on land) I just peoplewatch and enjoy the ambiance. Guess if someone stares at me, they might find themselves being stared back at. :D Only I'll have a smirk on my face thinking "...but I can do whatever I want whenever I want, 'cause I'm cruising solo!" :p

Congrats on booking your 1st solo cruise. My 1st solo cruise was on Triumph in 2010. Often tell people welcome to your new addiction when they book their 1st solo because you will want to keep cruising solo.

I always choose late dining. There are not as many children in the mdr at that time. Often Carnival will try to seat solo cruisers with other solo cruisers. When I am eating alone, I usually try to bring a book to pass the time. And if people stare at you, let them. It's your vacation. Enjoy your cruise. :)

I hope you enjoy it. I'm debating on whether or not to make this my first solo cruise. The price is almost too good to pass up.

RCI Majesty of the Seas - March 2009

Carnival Valor - March 2010

Carnival Glory - March 2012

Carnival Valor - March 2013

Carnival Triumph - October 2013

Carnival Magic - February 2014

Please do tell us how it went!

I'll be traveling solo for the 1st time also, but with a twist - I'll do a 4-night cruise to the Caribbean in a group of 34 people... and then they'll all leave the ship and I'll be on my own for more 5 nights. My choice of course, unless one of them chooses to do this back to back with me. So I'll go from being surrounded with friends to total loneliness. :)

Oh well! Life is made of contrasts! :D

On my most recent cruise every time I ate in the MDR I asked for a table to myself and read on my kindle while I ate. I am not sure why; usually I enjoy asking to be seated with others and meet some new folks, but this cruise I guess I was just feeling like being alone! I didn't notice any funny looks; but then again I wasn't looking around to see if anyone was looking at me! :)

I always take the anytime dining option rather than fixed seating on my cruises.

Which line did you cruise alone in MDR? Were tables really close or far enough you didn't feel you were eating with them even though you were alone?

Which line did you cruise alone in MDR? Were tables really close or far enough you didn't feel you were eating with them even though you were alone?

I was on Oasis of the Seas. Tables were reasonably close but not close enough where I felt my space was being invaded. :)

Hope you enjoy your cruise. Please come back and let us know what your first Solo cruise was like. Just booked my first solo cruise today. It isn't until early November. Could not pass it up since Carnival was not charging a single supplement, and I had enough airline points to get my flight for free.

Attempting to book my first solo out of CHARLESTON 2 Nov, Cruised many times with the hubs. Crossing my fingers for approved time off, then will purchase ticket. Fun in the sun and snorkeling are on my priority list. Anyone else booked for 2Nov Carnival out of Charleston?

• 3 weeks later...

I am another first time solo cruiser!! I have planned so many cruises in my head and on my computer and DH can't go with me. I finally decided why not when I saw there was not extra charge for cruising solo. I really need to get away and I can think of no better way to do it! I am going to embrace the solace.