Rhine weather in November?

HRH_Twink

Anyone who's cruised down the Rhine in November or December: What items of clothing did you wear, wish you had brought, or have to buy there...? I like to travel as light as possible, but I want to be sure that I'm adequately prepared for the temperatures and precipitation.

I know what the average hi and lo temps are for the timeframe in which I'll be there (mid-Nov.) but that doesn't tell the whole story. Is the "feels like" factor different on the river than it is on or near the ocean or other large bodies of water, where it can feel 10° colder than the actual temperature? If it's rainy, is it generally a soaking rain, or lighter, more like drizzly mist? And if it's rainy in the morning, does that mean it's likely to be raining all day, or is it more changeable?

I live in Minnesota, so I have a fair cold tolerance, but I can't decide which items to pick out of my arsenal of coats, jackets, vests, and rain gear. Thoughts or advice? I'd like to know what others have experienced. Thank you.

We did the Rhine in Nov. in 2009. It was cool but not cold. Did see a little snow in Germany in the Black Forest. Mainly overcast. Only had a drizzle rain in Amsterdam.

If you live in Minnesota then I would not worry. We live in the south so we enjoyed the cool weather.

I always travel in November and the weather is so unpredictable. I remember walking down the street with only my vest on; jacket was left on board. I have never ran into any soaking rain, just drizzle. It can get very cold on the top deck if you are on for taking pictures. Last year, I had a coat, vest, hat and gloves on while up there; but that was on the Danube. Need to think layers - have a great trip.

I always travel in November and the weather is so unpredictable. .

I agree. In 2010 we had 22 inches of snow in 2 days in mid to late November. In 2009 we had great weather. Other years (we are often in Germany this time of year) we have experienced the full gamut.

We pack clothes to layer, waterproof jacket (down), waterproof boots and shoes for day, scarf, hat, gloves.

Archived