Should I book a balcony?

allfloridagirl

I'm planning to take cruise just 1~2 nights with my friends and my question is what type of identifications are required.

We're mix of U.S. Citizen, Non-U.S. Citizen, and Alien Residents of the U.S.

We all have passports and that'll be enough or we need more documents?

We take passports, green card, and another government ID.

P.S. : I'll appreciate if anyone explain (describe in detail) embarkation & disembarkation process as well.

When you arrive at the terminal, you will have a porter check you big luggage, and tip them. Then, inside, you will fill out a health questionnaire to be handed in at the desk when you check in.

The staff there will help direct you to your waiting area, and you will be called to board by category. They will tell you what category you are.

When they call you, you will go through security, which is emptying pockets into a tray, putting your carried luggage on the belt and get your boarding photo taken, if you wish.

Then you proceed to board. At the entry to the ship, you will get your card id photo taken and get ship cards which are your room key cards. Then, if your cabin is ready, you go drop off your luggage, and go have fun either eating or exploring the ship until the life boat drill.

Everything will be explained by crew or on the tv.

I will let the others explain disembarkation. :)

Pat

When you arrive at the terminal, you will have a porter check you big luggage, and tip them. Then, inside, you will fill out a health questionnaire to be handed in at the desk when you check in.

The staff there will help direct you to your waiting area, and you will be called to board by category. They will tell you what category you are.

When they call you, you will go through security, which is emptying pockets into a tray, putting your carried luggage on the belt and get your boarding photo taken, if you wish.

Then you proceed to board. At the entry to the ship, you will get your card id photo taken and get ship cards which are your room key cards. Then, if your cabin is ready, you go drop off your luggage, and go have fun either eating or exploring the ship until the life boat drill.

Everything will be explained by crew or on the tv.

I will let the others explain disembarkation. :)

Pat

First, to add a little to what Pat said: Beware that "Health Questionaire". The questions seem innoccuous...BUT, if all you have had is sniffles from allergies or some other non-transmittable ailment, do NOT answer yes to any of the questions.

Last December, my daughter, who has mild allergies, thought she was going to be honest and direct and answered the question "Have you had a runny nose" with a "Yes"...but she even went on in "essay form" to explain it was from allergies. She thought this was the right thing to do...Instead of letting us on the ship, they herded us ove to a corner of the check-in room to wait for a nurse--who they couldn't find. We stood there for an hour. When the nurse finally showed up, she went to check my daughter's temperature only to find the batteries in her thermometer were out...Finally, she admitted that our daughter was one of the healthiest looking kids she'd ever seen and clearly wasn't ill...and let us on the ship...

As to disembarkation, it seems to vary a little ship to ship, cruise line to cruise line, disembarkation port to disembarkation port...but, generally, you need to pack your bags and leave them OUTSIDE YOUR CABIN door by some appointed hour the night before (though some choose to wheel them off themselves)...They'll give you coded luggage tags and the next day, call you off by group (remember to leave clothes for the next morning!)...In the morning, they'll call each group when the luggage will be ready in the terminal...You depart the ship, find your baqgs and get in line (usually, there's a line) for customs...and then out into the sunlight and on your way home...Which group you're in and your priority depends oin things like your flight time home...or how you are getting home...your repeat customer status, etc.

... We're mix of U.S. Citizen, Non-U.S. Citizen, and Alien Residents of the U.S. We all have passports and that'll be enough or we need more documents?.

I am no expert on Canadian entry requirements, but for U.S. citizens, green-card holders, and citizens of some other countries, the passport (plus green card where relevant) should suffice. However, for citizens of numerous other countries, a visa is required in addition to the passport.

As a starting point, take a look at this site, which lists the "visa or no visa" requirement by country of citizenship and (in some cases) certain other criteria:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp

Again, I am no expert -- follow up with some more authoritative source!

John

Archived