taxes & fees drop ?

mikesusan

I am booked on jan 10 2014 Imagination panama canal cruise. The taxes have drop $50. I emailed my ta he said he contacted Carnival they told him I would have to rebook to get the drop but rates are up and I would come out in the behind. Does not sound right to me I have to pay more when they went up. what should I do?

Hi there.

I noticed a few weeks back that my taxes & fees have dropped by $17. Not a large amount, but enough to do something else onboard with.

I posted at the time inquiring how this is adjusted and then read in my cruise documents that clearly states that taxes and fees can change and that Carnival reserves the right to collect more for an increase and refund by OBC if they go down.

I also took the additional step of inquiring from my TA how this would be refunded to see if he echoed this statement but he told me that he would charge me a $25 "change fee" to call Carnival and have them make the change so needless to say, I've left it alone.

My expectation is that we'll see it refunded as OBC in our account once we're aboard per richfret.

Not a definitive answer but hope that helps and happy cruising!

Hi there.

I noticed a few weeks back that my taxes & fees have dropped by $17. Not a large amount, but enough to do something else onboard with.

I posted at the time inquiring how this is adjusted and then read in my cruise documents that clearly states that taxes and fees can change and that Carnival reserves the right to collect more for an increase and refund by OBC if they go down.

I also took the additional step of inquiring from my TA how this would be refunded to see if he echoed this statement but he told me that he would charge me a $25 "change fee" to call Carnival and have them make the change so needless to say, I've left it alone.

My expectation is that we'll see it refunded as OBC in our account once we're aboard per richfret.

Wow!! Your TA charges $25 fee just to call Carnival. What about with price drops?

Hi there.

I am not trying to be nasty but any TA that would charge $25 to check on a price adjustment for any reason should be dropped. I have had 3 price adjustments and a reinstatement of a dropped OBC all handled by my TA and there was absolutely no charge. By the way, my TA advised that the adjustment would be made by Carnival and no further action was required. They inquired while doing the other price adjustments.

I am not trying to be nasty but any TA that would charge $25 to check on a price adjustment for any reason should be dropped. I have had 3 price adjustments and a reinstatement of a dropped OBC all handled by my TA and there was absolutely no charge. By the way, my TA advised that the adjustment would be made by Carnival and no further action was required. They inquired while doing the other price adjustments.

Hi ya.

No worries - you're not coming off as nasty at all. I booked with a large internet based agency and changes for booking the rate I did (the TA's, not Carnival) come with a $25 charge. Chance I took when I booked.

As for price drops, we haven't had any as it's stayed steady or increased but we're booked under a resident rate and I'm not sure if we would qualify for any decreases, especially now that I've done final payment.

But certainly, after reading many posters talk about the rate drops they've gotten, it's lead me to think that as long as I know what ship/itinerary I want, I'd probably be better off booking directly through Carnival.

Thanks for confirming what I've suspected regarding the change to taxes/fees. It's not much $$ back in my case, but I'll take it!

Best,

Jill

• 1 month later...

My taxes and fees have dropped from $270/pp to $101/pp. On Carnival.

TA says nothing she can do. :mad:

Not too happy cruiser here.

We booked as a large group back in February and now.... No good deed goes unpunished.

All have paid in full as we are leaving on 12/15.

Any thoughts...???

Thanks

We booked as a large group back in February and now.... No good deed goes unpunished.

Any thoughts...???

Thanks

You should have an obc on the cruise. We have booked through a TA several times and while they do not refund the taxes and fees before you sail, whenever I have gotten on the ship the difference has been on my S & S balance as a credit.

I am booked with a TA right now and our T & F have dropped 80 dollars and I am sure it will be as an obc once on the ship.

Check your on board account the 1st or 2nd day of the cruise. Our last cruise I went to go check to see how much OBC we had, from price drops and purchased OBC and we had and additional $90 or so just added to our account for basically no reason.... turns out this was a reduction in port taxes and fees. no need to contact anyone about it. Carnival will just credit your onboard account, it could be there as early as the first day.

Hi there.

I noticed a few weeks back that my taxes & fees have dropped by $17.

!

For the life of me I don't understand why anybody messes with a TA -- especially for this type of customer "service".:cool:

That said, any differences at time of sailing will be credited to your S&S account as OBC -- we have had that happen before.

Any thoughts...???

Thanks

Just be careful as "taxes and fees" shown on a TA invoice, may not be the same as Port Taxes, collected by the cruiseline, TA's have a habit of linking the taxes and non commissionable cruise fare into one figure. $270 seems a lot of money for port taxes per person. If the taxes have indeed gone down, then you should receive the difference as an OBC.

Just be careful as "taxes and fees" shown on a TA invoice, may not be the same as Port Taxes, collected by the cruiseline, TA's have a habit of linking the taxes and non commissionable cruise fare into one figure. $270 seems a lot of money for port taxes per person. If the taxes have indeed gone down, then you should receive the difference as an OBC.

Invoices are written differently indeed. We just had a recent controversial thread on this subject. So, you can't compare invoices accurately because of this. To see $270 pp is staggering, but likely it's the way TA's group the fees differently. Port fees are included in Carnival's price structure, so their invoice taxes appear lower.

Any thoughts...???

Thanks

Just returned from 3 cruises on carnival each week we had OBC due to tax and port fees dropping. They don't know til you sail exactly how much so it may be different the day before you board in our case we got more than I had seen online prior to leaving.