Crimean Discovery 10th June '13

Hi, Long shot but seeing as there was SO many people on board making formal complaints in writing on board on this first black sea cruise there must be some people who took it futher once they got back, has anyone ever had anything back from Thomson?? and the response they got, funny how they are so quick to take your money but not very good or fast in replying to complaints :mad:

Helen

has anyone ever had anything back from Thomson??

yes...we have

we were on the disastrous cuba cruise christmas 2010

the ac broke down

there was a midnight fire

one of the engines broke down

the brand new thrusters broke down

we missed out a port

had an unscheduled overnight stay (somewhere?)

the plumbing/toilets were sporadic throughout

a boiler blew up...no hot food for a day

we were partially refunded (with a future cruise voucher) it took a bit of persistence

it was a brilliant itinerary tho:cool: would do it again in a heartbeat :cool: (minus the fire, breakdowns and toilet dilemmas)

Eeek - I would like to know too please as we have booked this back to back for July/August next year :eek:

Don't worry! We did the B2B in August this year & had a superb time - everything went to plan - the ports were lovely (well, ok Constanta was "interesting") it was probably our best cruise yet.

Unfortunately on the first B2B of 2013 including the Black Sea, the ship broke down for a few hours on the way to the Black Sea which made it late & difficult to catch up so a port had to be dropped to fit the rest in, the weather wasn't good & various other issues but those issues were ironed out by the time we went in August (no consolation for the people on the first B2B).

The itinerary has altered slightly for next year with 2 less ports & an extra day at sea which is a real shame but I can see why they do it so they are not on such a tight schedule which will give time if there are any problems such as late flight arrivals.

The one we did in August was on such a tight schedule that we had to leave Marmaris at 8pm & the ship was running at full speed all the way to the Black Sea & back. We had a fantastic time & I would do it all again :)

yes...we have

we were on the disastrous cuba cruise christmas 2010

the ac broke down

there was a midnight fire

one of the engines broke down

the brand new thrusters broke down

we missed out a port

had an unscheduled overnight stay (somewhere?)

the plumbing/toilets were sporadic throughout

a boiler blew up...no hot food for a day

we were partially refunded (with a future cruise voucher) it took a bit of persistence

it was a brilliant itinerary tho:cool: would do it again in a heartbeat :cool: (minus the fire, breakdowns and toilet dilemmas)

Geo, I love you, so resilient:rolleyes:. You always put a smile on my face.:)

Hi, Long shot but seeing as there was SO many people on board making formal complaints in writing on board on this first black sea cruise there must be some people who took it futher once they got back, has anyone ever had anything back from Thomson?? and the response they got, funny how they are so quick to take your money but not very good or fast in replying to complaints :mad:

Helen

Yes we had 20 or 30% refund on the price we paid for a cruise on Celebration when we had an 18 hour delay in departure resulting in missing our first two ports of call. It was disappointing but we felt they had treated us fairly and mechanical failure cannot be predicted. I'm certain Thomson would wish that these kinds of situations didn't arise as much as the passengers.

Never had quite as eventful time as geo :eek: - that was after the Hamburg dry dock when all the air-con froze and gradually failed the more it was needed as it sailed to the Caribbean! We were on at the end of January and the problems were still rumbling on a bit but nothing like as bad. we did have an engine failure and missed out Costa Maya and limped into Gr Cayman that evening and the repairs were done whilst we spent the next day there. We were most worried about was making it to Cuba!!! Which thankfully we did! I think we had a small amount of obc on that occasion.

It must be horrid if your loo is the one which is blocked and your air-con isn't working - I can understand anyone's frustration and upset in that situation. But provided it's tolerable, geo's resilience, positivity and good humour is the way forward if possible. Good for you geo to be able to see the bigger picture and make the most of it. Pleased you got some redress though as indeed you were definitely owed!! Pity it wasn't more easily forthcoming though! :rolleyes:

Perhaps something similar might be on offer again next winter season if Sailaway's investigations re Dream's position during winter 2014/15 - if so geo, you might get there again - hopefully problem-free!

Helen

Yes we were on this cruise. We didn't make a complaint on board but I wrote in when we got home. The letter I got back said that they were sorry we were disappointed in our cruise but the on board questionnaires showed that the service etc. was up to standard.

I then emailed them stating I was not happy with their response and giving them examples of what I presume they wouldn't class as there excellent service and if this was what to expect in future we would not be going with Thomson again after we have done our next cruise (which was already booked).

The next day I received a phone call and got a very apologetic person who offered me a £75 voucher for being a loyal customer as a good will gesture.

I just cannot understand why they are offering compensation to some people and not others and the differing amounts when we were all on the same cruise.:confused::confused:

We didn't bother to complain, although we should have because, apart from the problems/niggles on board, we had a cabin that required to be sanitised a couple of times, leaving the carpets damp, as it was not up to standard when we first arrived.:eek:

It did improve over the two weeks but I ended up fairly early on in the cruise suffering from a chest infection which, although being offered medical assistance, I declined and chose to go to the local pharmacists on shore as I knew which antibiotics would help. However it did not clear up completely until about four weeks after we got home.:eek:

However, we have moved on and put it all behind us and are off on Island Escape next week for two weeks. Christmas cake was made in the middle of the week and is now in the cupboard maturing 'til December. Cases are out and half packed.:D

When we get back it will be the countdown to four weeks on Dream in April.:D

Yes we were on this cruise. We didn't make a complaint on board but I wrote in when we got home. The letter I got back said that they were sorry we were disappointed in our cruise but the on board questionnaires showed that the service etc. was up to standard.

I then emailed them stating I was not happy with their response and giving them examples of what I presume they wouldn't class as there excellent service and if this was what to expect in future we would not be going with Thomson again after we have done our next cruise (which was already booked).

The next day I received a phone call and got a very apologetic person who offered me a £75 voucher for being a loyal customer as a good will gesture.

I just cannot understand why they are offering compensation to some people and not others and the differing amounts when we were all on the same cruise.:confused::confused:

That's not good enough is it? We can all understand that unforeseen events can affect our cruises - like mecahnical breakdown but we didn't ought to have any complaints about service. That should be a given - excellent throughout because that is under their control. :(

Hope you enjoy your IE cruise skioncruises - and that April one looks very appealing - great itinerary and something to look forward to! :)

That's not good enough is it? We can all understand that unforeseen events can affect our cruises - like mecahnical breakdown but we didn't ought to have any complaints about service. That should be a given - excellent throughout because that is under their control.

Hope you enjoy your IE cruise skioncruises - and that April one looks very appealing - great itinerary and something to look forward to!

Thanks kruzseeka.

Been a bit apprehensive about it, even although we have done three previous Atlantic crossings in April and loved every one. I think the experience on the Celebration in June put a bit of a damper on it and felt that what we are paying for it could be put to a better cruise with another company.

Also the trip from Scotland to Manchester is proving a bit awkward and it looks like we will be driving down as the return leg could prove difficult due to it being the weekend and line works tend to be done then. I believe it is also the May bank holiday.:eek:

The one thing I know is that, once we are on board and got into the groove, we will have a great time.:D

Archived