Port of New Orleans Question - Elation

CarnivalPlatCruiser

I'll be on the Elation on Sep 30 from New Orleans, a port I have never departed from.

I am Platinum, so being on a smaller ship, I would imagine Ill get on board by 10am or so...

Id like to venture back out after boarding and check out New Orleans' Bourbon Street.

My question is... is it far from the port? Walking distance? Worth seeing in the early afternoon?

Thanks guys. You're always a wealth of info :)

We cruised from NOLA in July, (different ship - Conquest, but same general area). I really loved much about NOLA and hope to return there for another visit/cruise in the future. A couple of things I didn't like was the hot/humid weather in late July (but what did I expect - it was summer) and that a lot of people were smoking everywhere you walk outside (that part reminded me of Vegas).

Personally I think it'd be a long walk all the way to Bourbon St., but you could walk to the Riverwalk area which is closer to the port and catch the Trolley on Canal St and ride that down to Bourbon. The trolley is very inexpensive, but I can't recall the exact fee. I'd rather take a taxi both ways since you're kind of short on time. I enjoyed walking around the French Market and Jefferson Square area and could spend hours there. We did walk Bourbon St. during the day and it was tame compared to what I saw, from a distance, at night. We didn't go down there at night because we had our teen girls with us and chose to stay away.

Before our cruise I read a lot on the Gulf Coast Departures board here on CC. So much information there!

Enjoy your cruise!

I'll be on the Elation on Sep 30 from New Orleans, a port I have never departed from.

I am Platinum, so being on a smaller ship, I would imagine Ill get on board by 10am or so...

Id like to venture back out after boarding and check out New Orleans' Bourbon Street.

My question is... is it far from the port? Walking distance? Worth seeing in the early afternoon?

Thanks guys. You're always a wealth of info :)

Bourbon St. is not far at all...im 56 and have no trouble walking there...lots to see but im not sure if all the bars would be open...shops yes! Enjoy as i will be there the week before you!

Yes its walkable. A pretty good one but walkable.

I have never tried to check in and then walk back off. It may be easier to drop your bags, do your touring then check in???

Last June we boarded about 11:15 or so and our bags arrived just after we boarded. Thanks to being Platinum and Elation having the Faster to the Fun program. The porter put a special sticker on our luggage tag. When we were walking aboard the ship we saw our bags going under on the forklift and being loaded on the ship. For us that was a welcome change.

Also when you come out of the elevator from the garage.... Go around and back outside(under cover) then walk past the lines to the far left door in the corner for the VIP line.

Archived