Allure of the Seas Review 8th September - Western Caribbean

Thanks for the soda warning. I'll be careful in 70 days on the Allure.

Gads, 4,500 shots. I thought we were trigger happy with around 1,200 from the two of us.

I have found that all RCI and Celebrity ships have the same white balance in the cabin so what I set in the cabin on the camera's first sailing holds on through the life of the camera. My Lumix FZ150 has two custom WB settings so I use # 2 for all out-of-cabin work. My towel bunnies are always a glorious pristine white.:)

I tend to be trigger happy. So I always take multiple shots and hope one is the right one.... Especially the wildlife shots.

In terms of white balance, on the DSLR, it is easy to change the settings.

If you are able to verify the issue with the freestyle machines, let me know...

The one thing I have forgotten to mention in my review is the Professional Photographers on board. I am not saying this because I am a photographer, I am saying this as a consumer of the Royal Caribbean brand. I was thoroughly disappointed with the quality of work by these so called professionals. There were a couple of images I would have bought, but the work was sloppy. On one of the images, my eyes were half shut. In another, my tie was not straight. At no point did the photographers point this out and take a corrected shot. If anyone is thinking about buying the package online, my advise is to wait until you get on the ship before spending any money on the package. I guess I have more of a critical eye than most, but if I am paying someone to take my photos, I expect the results to be better than what a 5 year old can take.

Hi, your pics are beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Do you happen to have your compasses? Wondering the name of the Calypso band on your sailing.

The compasses are on https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9e3nhv9a4us03iy/uiRJrsLErd. If the link doesn't work, look at post 27. If that doesn't work, let me know.

And thank you for your comment.

Edited by novicetraveller

Novice.. Your review is fantastic! Thank you so much for the details you have provided.

No problem. I am glad the info helped. If any more info on my experiences is needed, please let me know.

(Btw, before anyone asks if escargots were served... I have no idea, and from I saw, nobody at the tabled ordered it!)

Just wanted to say "thanks" for putting the time and effort into this TR. I haven't seen one from a photographers POV before and I found it very interesting!

Pleasure. All I have to do now is update my FB blog. *sigh* I love my photography. It is a shame we don't many more photography reviews. There is a lot of talent out there.

Hi novicetraveller

I believe we have met on the cruise during the all access tour. I'm the other guy from the UK (with the Canon) travelled with my wife. You took my photo on the helipad!!

Having read the beginning of this thread with you from London, single traveller, into photography.....things were starting to click with me. Without reading the whole thread (yet) I went staright to your day 5 review to find if there is any reference to the 'All Access Tour' and there it is then I am convinced it is you.

Hi novicetraveller

I believe we have met on the cruise during the all access tour. I'm the other guy from the UK (with the Canon) travelled with my wife. You took my photo on the helipad!!

Having read the beginning of this thread with you from London, single traveller, into photography.....things were starting to click with me. Without reading the whole thread (yet) I went staright to your day 5 review to find if there is any reference to the 'All Access Tour' and there it is then I am convinced it is you.

I remember you. If I remember correctly, you love the auto dial option. :o

It was a pleasure meeting both of you on the tour. I hope you enjoyed the tour, and the cruise. :)

Please tell me how to book this tour. I will be on the Nov. 17th sailing and would very much love to do this behind the seens tour. Your review is awesome by the way!!

You will need to go to Guest Services to book the tour. It costs around $150, but if you are a D+, you might get it cheaper, if not free.

Please tell me how to book this tour. I will be on the Nov. 17th sailing and would very much love to do this behind the scenes tour. Your review is awesome by the way!!

The tours only take place on sea days and are very limited. I suggest you book early at guest services at the start of the cruise to avoid disappointment. The tour is advertised on the cruise compass.

Edited by sky0000547