Allure of the Seas Review 8th September - Western Caribbean

Great, thanks for that advice. Most people told me to wait until a week before the cruise but maybe I'll email now and see what happens. Thanks for the email address too. Hope we can get a hilltop.

A week before the cruise is cutting it a bit fine in my opinion. You might be luckier than me. But better safe than sorry. :)

If you do get a hilltop cabana, I would be interested in seeing what view you will get.

The Cruise Critic thread with updates on CDs says we should have Allan Brooks but they aren't sure of the hand off date between him and Ken Rush. I've never had Allan as a CD so I'm hoping it's him. We've booked all our shows already but I love to check the Compasses to see if there are other fun things that I can plan to do.

We already have a tour booked in Falmouth, with another couple, with a stop at Scotchies in Montego Bay I believe. We've been to the Scotchies in Ocho Rios and loved it. Darrell got his first taste of Red Stripe there and has been drinking it ever since. We have a cooking class booked in Cozumel and will eat the food we make, otherwise I'd try to find La Choza, it sounds really good.

We will be on the Oasis TA back to the States in October of 2014, so I hope you enjoy her in the Med during her short stay there. If you do a review of that trip I will enjoy reading it. This review of the Allure was wonderful. I'll look for a Panama Canal review from you too. That trip is on our bucket list for sure!

Just out of curiousity, what are you going to do in MoBay? I am thinking about going back to MoBay at some point in the future.

Hello, I just wanted to make a quick post on your thread. You have taken some stunning and I mean stunning photographs!!!! I have sailed on the Allure and you made me feel like I was sailing right along with you. Thank you for all your efforts in putting this thread together. May you have smooth sailings and may many, many more happy cruises. Again, thank you!;)

As long as you are using for your personal use only and is not redistributed to anyone else, then that is ok. I do plan to sell the image in the near future.

Just as wallpaper on my iPad

It is a Canon 5D Mk3 and had 2 lenses with me. Just remember, it isn't always about the camera. Even with some entry level cameras, you can achieve some great shots.

Cool, I have the 5D MK2 - Which lenses did you bring with you. I'm guessing a macro and maybe a 70-200L F2.8?

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for taking the time to write this review, I am enjoying it, epsecially your photographs, you have some beautiful shots.

We will be on this cruise in April.

Outstanding Photo Review...you rate as a professional to me...very enjoyable. :):):):)

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

The Jungle Queen experience.

Whilst my original plan to go to the Flamingo Gardens and the Everglades Sawgrass Recreation Park didn't go to plan (would have cost over $200 to get there, and most of it would have been down to travel costs), the Jungle Queen was the next best option. If you have your own transport (whether it's your own car or a hired car), you may want to have a look at these 2 combinations. However, bear in mind that Flamingos are not native to Florida. The websites are http://evergladestours.com/_index.php and http://www.flamingogardens.org/.

So back to Plan B. The Jungle Queen tour was my first choice for my Plan B, but as September was low season, the first sailing was cancelled for the whole of September. The Glass bottom tour (See previous post) was arranged and I made it back on time to do the Jungle Queen tour in the afternoon.

9822783423_341fff60b8_c.jpg

There are a number of bridges on the way to the Alligator show, and a number of posh houses and yachts / boats. Typical costs of the houses / boats are around $750,000 to a few million dollars. Some places occupies some famous people (or at least they used to.

9822578644_2db3e603c5_c.jpg

This is the Yacht graveyard. Where some people lose their prized possession because they failed to keep themselves financially afloat.

9823141203_b6eaa7bc6c_c.jpg

9822679555_1b0634a71a_c.jpg

Could this be the most expensive vessel on the river?

9822716815_32f6b4ba0f_c.jpg

The local railway making way for the boat.

9822745506_266f4dcc10_c.jpg

Incredible photography! Thankyou

Hi Novice, I had a quick question...what did you set your aperture at for the shows? I would love a starting point:) were you able to just set it an shot throughout the shows...I would like to enjoy the show and not be too focused on getting the shots:)

Hi Novice, I had a quick question...what did you set your aperture at for the shows? I would love a starting point:) were you able to just set it an shot throughout the shows...I would like to enjoy the show and not be too focused on getting the shots:)

I used the widest possible aperture I could. As I was using the Canon 24-105mm lens, it was f/4, this is so that I could keep the iso as low as possible to achieve a shutter speed of around 1/160th. I also set the exposure compensation between 1 and 3 full stops under to get the performer in the spotlight correctly lit. And I used Aperture Priority rather than manual so that I could make quick changes.

Edited by novicetraveller

You mentioned La Choza. We work with a former cruise ship employee and he also recommended this place. He is a good cook so we knew to trust him. Now he brings the restaurant sauce to our company dinners. He has figured out how to make it. We weren't able to bring a bottle from La Choza onto the ship.

For lunch, I went to La Choza with a couple of others from the photo walk.

I had the vegetarian choice.

9843323564_5d60b6b635_c.jpg

Some fish dish (with Octopus).

9843394786_32564a3360_c.jpg

I think this was a Chicken dish.

9843405846_5c40947305_c.jpg

If you are looking for some authentic local food, I would recommend La Choza. Hands down.

You mentioned La Choza. We work with a former cruise ship employee and he also recommended this place. He is a good cook so we knew to trust him. Now he brings the restaurant sauce to our company dinners. He has figured out how to make it. We weren't able to bring a bottle from La Choza onto the ship.

The food there is good, but I have no basis for comparison. If I go back, I hope to try a few more places.