Seattle Hotel ???? Help ????

AlaskaFan05

Hi dst, Thanks for all of the helpful info on Seattle. Are you familiar with the Mediterranean Inn on North Queen Anne Ave.? Any reason we should avoid it? Also, have you ever tried Duke's Chowder House for dinner? The menu looks great and we're thinking of trying it. OKay, if you had friends coming to Seattle for one day, what is the number one thing that you would recommend as a "must do". We're forty and fifty-somethings if that helps! We'll probably go to EMP. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Sassy

Hello,

My wife and I are taking an Alaskan cruise in September and we are arriving a day early so we can see some sights in Seattle (space needle,pikeplace market,etc.). Where has everyone stayed and where would they suggest us staying to see those particular sights. We are booked right now near the airport but Im hearing horror stories about the price of cabs to get into the city. Please provide some suggestions or experiences. Thanks so much, Jeff:)

get closer to the city. we stayed at the comfort suites inn near the needle and it was a great place to stay. it had a continental breakfast, FREE shuttle service to the market and other spots and it was withing walking distance of the needle and the above ground train that was really cool. right outside the main door and to the left of the parking lot was a great place to eat. it was called

"" the something pig :confused: ''' ( i forgot the name ) but it was fantastic. just follow your nose :D . if you are over 61 you get a discount. other wise use priceline to get closer to downtown. i would not stay by the airport if you want to see anything of seattle. the cab fare would out-weigh the extra money for a room closer to the pier. have a great time.

i would not stay by the airport if you want to see anything of seattle. the cab fare would out-weigh the extra money for a room closer to the pier. have a great time.

We paid $35 for our airport hotel and about $24 for round trip fare on the shuttle that went downtown and back. I really don't think you can get any decent downtown hotel for $59 so I honestly do believe that the airport hotels, when purchased through Priceline are the best deal for Seattle. Additionally the Doubletree also recommends a town car service to take you to the port and it costs $30. So $89 will get you a room, shuttle back and forth to explore downtown and a towncar to the pier. We liked the deal so much we are doing it all over again in September!!! :)

Thanks again Italy52. We will be using our points to stay at the Marriott. Glad to know about the food being expensive. WE plan to eat at the Market and on the waterfront and then on the cruise. Hope we have a view of the ship when we stay there.

We paid $35 for our airport hotel and about $24 for round trip fare on the shuttle that went downtown and back. I really don't think you can get any decent downtown hotel for $59 so I honestly do believe that the airport hotels, when purchased through Priceline are the best deal for Seattle. Additionally the Doubletree also recommends a town car service to take you to the port and it costs $30. So $89 will get you a room, shuttle back and forth to explore downtown and a towncar to the pier. We liked the deal so much we are doing it all over again in September!!! :)

I second this...we did the same thing in May and love the DoubleTree - wonderfully comfortable beds.

I second this...we did the same thing in May and love the DoubleTree - wonderfully comfortable beds.

I third this...staying at the Doubletree....great deal for $35. Free airport shuttle. This hotel is so close to the airport, that if you don't have your bags, I would walk. Very close...and that's what we did to catch the bus into downtown. It was extremely easy. You can get a daily Visitor Metro bus pass for $5.00, or each way around $2.50. The all you can ride pass includes a ferry to West Seattle and the trolley. They have a website if you'd like to check it out. You can order daily pass in advance.

http://transit.metrokc.gov/

The Sheraton Downtown is within easy walking distance to Pike's Market. This property has a Grayline (tour) desk which is hugely convenient. From the airport (really easy with the new renovations!) you can purchase affordable bus transfer to downtown (senior rates available). The Sheraton also offers a variety of discounts - you just need to ask what is available. We have stayed at the Westin as well, but prefer the Sheraton due to location. Seattle offers Free Bus Service during designated timeframes within a stated city radius - both WESTIN and SHERATON are within this radius. Seattle is a great designation - Elliotts on the waterfront offers a dee-licious Dungeness Crab delight:) one crab is enough to share but be prepared to part with some of your budget.

When we stayed at the Doubletree there was a shuttle that ran about every half hour or so. It stopped at maybe 10 airport hotels so just call the hotel you are booked at and ask them. After picking up at all the hotels the shuttle went to downtown and dropped us at a central point near the waterfront. Pickup times ran about the same, every half hour or maybe every hour.

If the shuttle does not pick up at your hotel it most likely will stop at another within walking distance. We really liked this option, it was cheaper than renting a car, we didn't have to hunt for parking and instead of watching the traffic as we drove we could look out the windows at the scenery!!!

Hi dst, Thanks for all of the helpful info on Seattle. Are you familiar with the Mediterranean Inn on North Queen Anne Ave.? Any reason we should avoid it? Also, have you ever tried Duke's Chowder House for dinner? The menu looks great and we're thinking of trying it. OKay, if you had friends coming to Seattle for one day, what is the number one thing that you would recommend as a "must do". We're forty and fifty-somethings if that helps! We'll probably go to EMP. Any other suggestions?

Okay soarry I have been out of the area for a bit so I have no had the chance to find a computer:

I do not know the Mediteranean Inn but Queen Ann is a very nice area, a bit removed from the rest of the city but within busses and such....Duke's is nice you shoudl try it the service is a hit or miss but the food good. When I have friends in the city for a day, I usually take them over and walk thru the market see some of the area, take the monorail over to the space needle walk around that area a bit hop back on the monorail and do some shopping.....not to mention walking along the waterfront (Alaska Way) EMP is fun but it will take a good day to see the entire thing; people have done it in four hours but it is more rushed.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions, when are you visiting?

DST

dst, Thanks for the input. Maybe we'll save EMP for our next visit. We will arrive in Seattle on Sept.16th. We sail on the Spirit the next day. I think we'll keep our reservation at the Inn...tripadvisor forum gives some pretty decent reviews. I can't wait till Sept. We've had 100 degree weather along with unbearable humidity here in the south this past week. I may not want to leave Seattle once I get there!

I'm glad I found this board! Hubby and I and friends will be visiting Seattle arriving 9/2 cruising on 9/4. We're taking the Amtrak to Vancouver on 9/4. The Best Western Pioneer Square Hotel is close to the train station. I know the hotel is very old, but is the area ok? Is the hotel convenient to town? we are also looking at the Marriott Waterfront. We need suggestions please! :confused:

thanks!

love2cruiseseattle,

Thanks! We will have Saturday to look around so I think we'll stay at the Marriott. We've never been to Seattle - we want to see as much as we can.

You will not go wrong with the Marriott. It is across the street from the water and walking distance to Pike Place Market and the downtown shopping area. You can catch the trolley outside the hotel entrance and it will take you to Pioneer Square and the International District.

Enjoy your stay................

Archived