Dance Music QV/QE- Current Situation

Dancer Bob

Did you actually send them $899 and see if they would sell you a cabin? I wouldn't trust a Cunard mailing as far as I could throw it. By the time they're finished, it's been my experience they'll want more like $2000. And that's before travel.

How did quickstep enter the discussion? You do know the difference between standard and latin, don't you? Carnival has always managed some contemporary latin, at least to the standard of a Cunard "party night".

The difficulty is partners, all you get is the bimbo butt-wiggle crowd. You know, the ones who claim they can dance while wearing flip-flops or platform sandals?

• 2 months later...

Still haven't heard that anyone got an invoice Paid In Full for a $899 check. And they're still sending me these wonderful offers, "does not apply to singles" even though I've NEVER booked double occupancy with Cunard. At least they are convincing me how much they really care. Although Crystal is also doing it, a Two-For-One price of $2740 turned into a One-For-One price of $3950.

Been reading a book "Hold Me Tight and Tango Me Home", partly about a woman learning Argentine Tango in New York City. As I'm reading, I was thinking, could a Queens Room orchestra, say Trever Newby and his endless quicksteps, play anything to keep this woman happy? In the past 8 weeks around here, there's been twice as many bachatas as quicksteps, and nearly as many Argentine tangos (without getting into an argument over what AT music is). What music is popular in the UK these days, among Cunard's target market?

Was told WDSF issued a step list in Feb 2014. Looks as though they accept both ISTD and IDTA, I'm only really familiar with ISTD. Can any dancesport people add any insight?

What music is popular in the UK these days, among Cunard's target market?

Was told WDSF issued a step list in Feb 2014. Looks as though they accept both ISTD and IDTA, I'm only really familiar with ISTD. Can any dancesport people add any insight?

"What dance music is popular in the UK?"

It's what it's always been Bob. In the main the majority of the UK's ballroom dancers like the great 'standards' of yesteryear for the Waltz and Slow Foxtrot and some big-band style lively Quicksteps. Yes, there is some newish music that adapts, but not very much as melody seems to have taken a back-seat these past few decades. A fair amount of Cunard's dance music falls into the former categories, although tempo's sometimes leave much to be desired. Sequence Dancing is popular mostly amongst the 'oldies' and Cunard seem to cater for some of this on the cruises that leave Southampton. On another thread the inimitable Punki from Seattle is commenting (amongst other things) on dancing aboard the Queen Victoria. Apparently she is intrigued by Sequence Dancing and would like to learn some of it. As it's almost non-existent in the USA it would not be much use at home!

"Difference between ISTF and IDTA"

Not a great deal. Both are based in the UK, have worldwide connections, and cover many aspects of dance. International-style ballroom and latin dancing are promoted along with medal tests and all the rest of it. I can imagine that their dance syllabi are very similar.

Foxy

I'm traveling with the Stardust group from New York next March. Although it sounds like the author has walked away from dancing, if it happened I ran into some of her friends could I say "Try Queen Elizabeth or Queen Victoria, you'll like the music, or meet people who like the same music you do"? We'll be on Costa Mediterranea, I think QE/QV are superior in every way EXCEPT music and dancing, I cannot in all honesty make a positive recommendation to a dance group as it stands now.

IDTA isn't common around here, as far as I know we only have one IDTA-qualified teacher in Toronto, and I don't necessarily believe everything he tells me.

• 4 months later...
One of my sources tells me on a recent QV cruise, the music was so bad two musicians were replaced mid-cruise. No other details. Anyone else heard this?

It is more likely that their contracts were ending or they were due for vacation time. While it is their job, they do not live and work continuously on the ship 52 weeks a year.

On our East bound crossing on the QM2 in May, the wonderful Mark Hodgson Jazz Trio was playing nightly in the Chart Room. On our West bound crossing 12 days later, there was a different jazz trio playing in the Chart room. I asked about why and was told by the bartender that the musicians on the Cunard ships were either on their scheduled vacations or were rotated to one of the other ships. The same thing occurred with 2 of the musicians in the Queens Room band. All of the musicians that were replaced for this crossing were quite good IMO.

Contrary to the opinions of some, I have never observed bad musicianship in any of the Cunard ships venues. While they may not always play the particular songs or exact metronome perfect tempo that a particular person wants, the standard of musicianship is always high.

....Contrary to the opinions of some, I have never observed bad musicianship in any of the Cunard ships venues. While they may not always play the particular songs or exact metronome perfect tempo that a particular person wants, the standard of musicianship is always high.

I use Cunard regularly and would agree that there is very little bad musicianship on their three ships. Indeed, the show-orchestras have some of the finest musicians at sea.

However, as many dancers have confirmed over the years, when it comes to playing for dancing, some of the dance-band leaders have not been au fait with the correct tempos for the various dances. This, of course, is the first requirement of any dance-band leader and if he lacks this knowledge he should not be leading a dance-band. It's as simple as that. His musicians have the skill and artistry to play in the correct time but if the band-leader is not conversant with what is required on a public dance floor then he should be replaced by someone who does.

This controversy has been ongoing for almost ten years and, as there is no management anywhere nowadays, it will probably go on for another ten!

This controversy has been ongoing for almost ten years and, as there is no management anywhere nowadays, it will probably go on for another ten!

If Cunard were catering only to serious strict tempo ISTF/IDTA International style dancers, they might be inclined to hire only "strict tempo" band leaders. However, Cunard might lose a sizable percentage of American Smooth Style strictly social dancers. Striking a balance agreeable to most dancers of both styles is probably like walking a tight rope for the dance band leaders. Personally, I think they do a pretty good job.

While I enjoy observing those dancers who are proficient in the International Style, I also respect those people who are purely social dancers enjoying themselves on the dance floor. I imagine that for every dancer complaining about the dance music tempos, there are at least as many people scratching their heads trying to figure out why all the fuss about the tempo of the music. It really doesn't bother most of us if the tempo is a little fast or a little slow. We just dance a little faster or a little slower.;)

Interesting discussion.

I am a "recreational" figure skater, recreational in the sense I am an amateur - I do not make a living at it. But I do practice 3-4 days a week, test in front of US Figure Skating judges, and compete at US Figure Skating events. I jump, spin, do choreographed programs, and of course fall frequently. When I am in a "freestyle" session at my home rink, there are rules about staying out of the way, who has the right of way, where you should spin, etc.

If I were to board Royal Caribbean (and I don't see that happening at any rate) I would undoubtedly skate in their on board rink. What I would never expect, is for all of the beginner level "social" skaters to stay out of my way and not clutter up the ice with their amateur skating skills. It's an ice rink at sea, there for all the cruisers to enjoy. The first timers have as much right to try their luck and enjoy the ice as I would. I would temper my skating to match the crowds, speed, etc. of the other skaters and just enjoy being on the ice at sea. I love skating that much - and would never be aggravated that others were learning to love it also - where they have a perfect right to do so. If I wanted to show off my gold level test skills or do my program I would ask the on board director if I could have 15 or 20 minutes to myself before the rink opened for all cruisers. I actually did just that when I visited the original QM docked in Long Beach last Christmas, which has an ice rink out front in Southern CA:)

I have seen some posts from a few people on here in which I sense impatience or aggravation (perhaps I misread) for beginner dancers, which many on the QM2 are, including me, though over the years we have learned the main steps to all of the ballroom dances. The floor on the ship belongs to those who have learned all of the tricks of the trade as much as it belongs to the beginner learning their very first Tango, as long as beginners are careful not to run into people. If taking over the floor for a certain amount of time or having large open space is one's goal, perhaps a chat with management for separate time is in order, since the dancing time advertised in the Daily Program is for everyone.

Interesting discussion.

I am a "recreational" figure skater, recreational in the sense I am an amateur - I do not make a living at it. But I do practice 3-4 days a week, test in front of US Figure Skating judges, and compete at US Figure Skating events. I jump, spin, do choreographed programs, and of course fall frequently. When I am in a "freestyle" session at my home rink, there are rules about staying out of the way, who has the right of way, where you should spin, etc.

If I were to board Royal Caribbean (and I don't see that happening at any rate) I would undoubtedly skate in their on board rink. What I would never expect, is for all of the beginner level "social" skaters to stay out of my way and not clutter up the ice with their amateur skating skills. It's an ice rink at sea, there for all the cruisers to enjoy. The first timers have as much right to try their luck and enjoy the ice as I would. I would temper my skating to match the crowds, speed, etc. of the other skaters and just enjoy being on the ice at sea. I love skating that much - and would never be aggravated that others were learning to love it also - where they have a perfect right to do so. If I wanted to show off my gold level test skills or do my program I would ask the on board director if I could have 15 or 20 minutes to myself before the rink opened for all cruisers. I actually did just that when I visited the original QM docked in Long Beach last Christmas, which has an ice rink out front in Southern CA:)

I have seen some posts from a few people on here in which I sense impatience or aggravation (perhaps I misread) for beginner dancers, which many on the QM2 are, including me, though over the years we have learned the main steps to all of the ballroom dances. The floor on the ship belongs to those who have learned all of the tricks of the trade as much as it belongs to the beginner learning their very first Tango, as long as beginners are careful not to run into people. If taking over the floor for a certain amount of time or having large open space is one's goal, perhaps a chat with management for separate time is in order, since the dancing time advertised in the Daily Program is for everyone.

Aexlskater, no, I don't think you misread the impatience and aggravation expressed by accomplished dancers. I got that message on the QM2 Queens Room dance floor within minutes, after which we went to G32 and had a good time dancing.

I support the idea that there is a time for experienced, well practiced dancers to take over the dance floor. And there should be a time allowed for simple folks with two left feet who just want to dance as they would at a social function like a wedding as opposed to a dance competition. :)

Meanwhile, let's keep dancing (and skating - kudos to you for your accomplishments!) Best wishes to all for happy feet in 2015:) -S.

Edited by Salacia