Lost baggage at disembarkation

aubree215

My husband and I took a cruise on the conquest and got back on Sept.15th. We usually carry our bags off, but checked them the night before because our friends had several bags with them. Our bags were zone one. When we got off the ship, and went to zone 1, only one of our bags was there. We got off the ship late, so there was only a few other bags left. There was one bag that "looked" similar to ours in the fact it was black. We made a report with carnival and got the name and phone # of the bag that looked similar to ours. We left a message on that number, but never heard back. Now, it's a week later, and still our luggage hasn't been found.

My question is, has this ever happened to anybody, and if it has, did you ever get you luggage back and how long did it take to "find" it?

We were lucky and had bought travel insurance for the first time. When I looked to find out how to make a claim, we have to first file a claim with carnival, itemize everything in our luggage and have receipts and dates items were bought, or they will take 25% off the price of the item. They also told us to make a claim with our homeowners insurance. Luckily we didn't have anything too valuable, just clothes, shoes, and cheap jewelry, but I don't have receipts, and many of the items are a few years old. Has anyone had to make a claim, and have success with getting money back? I would say we had $700-$1,000 worth of stuff, and am hoping will get most of that back. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Other than our lost baggage, we had a great trip!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I think this happens often. Not the first report I've seen of it. People need to be more careful. I am very careful to clearly mark my bags. I even went so far a couple of years ago to put a big pink X in duck tape on my Army green bag. I always have neon shoestrings double knotted on the top.

This happened to me on my very first cruise. I had a large pink suitcase with yellow ribbons tied around the handle to help identify it. I waited and at the end there was only one suitcase left, a smaller and darker pink suitcase that was similar to mine but noticeably different. The staff wasn't that helpful so I took the initiative to call the number listed on the remaining suitcase. Luckily the person answered and drove back to bring me my suitcase. If I were you I would keep calling the other person and hopefully you can make an exchange. That goes to show you can clearly mark your luggage to distinguish it but some people don't pay attention and will grab your luggage without a second glance. I really hope you get your belongings back. Best of luck!

So sorry this happened. I can imagine your frustration, and hope you get your bag back. It would be nice to think that whoever grabbed it in the claim area will call you to make arrangements to get it shipped to you. Was it tagged with your name and contact info?

I always take a picture of my suitcase with my smartphone prior to leaving for my cruise knowing that if it gets lost, it can help me with a claim or assist in finding it. Hopefully with online shopping pictures available to you, you can find prices and info for your items or similar items to create your claim.

Best of luck in getting your items back.

We cruised out of San Juan last April. When we went to disembark, I couldn't find my suitcase (everyone else's was where it was supposed to be) As I was looking in other areas, my son came up to me and said that a lady in line had my bag. We always put a ribbon on the handle as well as a name tag. I walked over and checked the name on the bag. Sure enough, it was mine. I pointed out to the lady that I think she accidentally took my bag. She gave it to me, then walked over and got her bag. It was the a much darker (turquoise) color, and really easily distinguishable from mine. I just think that some people don't really look as they grab their bag. We were so fortunate that there was a long back up getting through customs or else my bag would have been long gone!

Hoping whoever took your bag, contacts Carnival and you get it back.

we are pretty lucky, we have luggage with wild print on it, and not a solid color never seen luggage like ours on any of our trips. Saying that though I put on an 8 x 11 sheet of paper what I like to call the luggage adventure information. On the luggage adventure sheet is all our contact information, every trip detail, hotel, all flights (even connecting flights) with dates and times, cruise and port dates. Every piece of luggage (including hand luggage) gets a sheet put in it. It is left in bag when we unpack and last thing put in when we pack up, so the information is right on top if it gets lost and they open the luggage. It is a habit now. We also take a picture of all our luggage before we set out on our adventure, it will let the airport or whomever find it faster if lost we hope, so far we have been lucky but I am sure our turn I coming up soon.

I hope you get your luggage back

Sorry to hear this and hopefully you'll get through to someone on the number you have.

When my family and I went on our first cruise last year I had read previous reports of this happenning so before I left I went and picked up a roll of bright yellow tape and the night before we disembarked all of our checked luggage got yellow tape put on each side of every piece of luggage which made it very easy to spot once we were off the ship.

I am ALWAYS aware when we go to look for our luggage that one might end up missing. So far, so good (knocking on wood)!

I have the same feeling when flying. Arriving back yesterday (30 minutes early) in Orlando following our Breakaway cruise out of NYC we headed to baggage claim. After getting there they reported that due to storms in the area, the bags were not being loaded off the plane - until there was no lightning within 5 miles of the airport.

After about 20 minutes I went looking for a snack and walked by the unclaimed baggage area and quickly spotted one of our 3 pieces of luggage. Obviously it caught an earlier flight! My FIRST thought was "did all three get that flight, and two were taken off the belt by others mistakenly?" !! :eek: About an hour after our arrival we had our other two pieces - but the thought that one won't be there always looms.

After 80+ cruises I figure we've been pretty lucky.. as the "honor system" is really a crap shoot!

Tom

That is why I put an UGLY luggage strap on every piece......

it helps me spot it and helps others avoid it!! LOL

btw, that is VERY good advice to get the info off any luggage that looks just like yours......

We now take our bags off ourselves. This keeps this from happening and it is a lot easier to get off the ship. We found out that we really did not need as much as we thought we did, so we do not take as much anymore:)

People need to look at what they are doing, but a lot are in a hurry and do not.

Thanks all for the replies. Before I left for our trip I had been to target with luggage straps in my hand and ribbon to put on our luggage...but at the last second decided I didn't need it. My fault. I think I pretty much jinxed us at that point. I'm starting to lose hope that whoever took our bag is going to own up to their mistake. I would think they would of noticed by now that it's not their bag and at least contact carnival. But we did have our name and number on the suitcase tag and the papertag from southwest, and on the zone tag. I guess I'll just start the claim process, I feel so fortunate that I bought trip insurance for the first time. Lets just hope it goes through easily.

Aubree I hope you get your bag back. Too bad that you live in Portland and the person who took your bag lives in St. Louis otherwise you could drive to their house.

We did have a great time on this cruise and SIS and I are so glad that we got to meet y'all. Are you planning on doing our FB reunion cruise for next September?

This happened to us once but in our case we were the culprits. The luggage we had was black and the one we took was tan. It was a mad rush to get out of the building and I realized the mistake the second we exited but we were not allowed back in the building by security. We got a call from Carnival saying they knew we had another passenger's luggage . We sent it by courier right away to the rightful owner and carnival mailed ours back to us.

Always have your complete address somewhere in your luggage.

We now take our bags off ourselves. This keeps this from happening and it is a lot easier to get off the ship. We found out that we really did not need as much as we thought we did, so we do not take as much anymore:)

People need to look at what they are doing, but a lot are in a hurry and do not.

I would love to do that, but most of my cruises are 12-16 days and I have to take a large suitcase a carryon stuffed to the gills. "Purse" is a tote with my laptop and other small items plus purse items.

I wish people would be more careful when they get their bags. EVERYONE is in a hurry. No need to be careless.:(

I am ALWAYS aware when we go to look for our luggage that one might end up missing. So far, so good (knocking on wood)!

I have the same feeling when flying. Arriving back yesterday (30 minutes early) in Orlando following our Breakaway cruise out of NYC we headed to baggage claim. After getting there they reported that due to storms in the area, the bags were not being loaded off the plane - until there was no lightning within 5 miles of the airport.

After about 20 minutes I went looking for a snack and walked by the unclaimed baggage area and quickly spotted one of our 3 pieces of luggage. Obviously it caught an earlier flight! My FIRST thought was "did all three get that flight, and two were taken off the belt by others mistakenly?" !! :eek: About an hour after our arrival we had our other two pieces - but the thought that one won't be there always looms.

After 80+ cruises I figure we've been pretty lucky.. as the "honor system" is really a crap shoot!

Tom

Wow. It was a stroke of luck, Tom, that you happened to notice the one bag that arrived early.

Thanks all for the replies. Before I left for our trip I had been to target with luggage straps in my hand and ribbon to put on our luggage...but at the last second decided I didn't need it. My fault. I think I pretty much jinxed us at that point. I'm starting to lose hope that whoever took our bag is going to own up to their mistake. I would think they would of noticed by now that it's not their bag and at least contact carnival. But we did have our name and number on the suitcase tag and the papertag from southwest, and on the zone tag. I guess I'll just start the claim process, I feel so fortunate that I bought trip insurance for the first time. Lets just hope it goes through easily.

Well be sure and come back and let us know how it turns out. We're all crossing fingers and toes for you. Sounds like maybe somebody liked your stuff better than their own--unfortunately.

We had something like this happen when we disembarked off Conquest. We had all of our luggage and was waiting by the curb for our shuttle and I guess a porter grabbed 1 of our suitcases and loaded it up and off he went. We had no idea until we started loading it in the shuttle that we were missing our large suitcase. We had to leave for a 12 hour drive so I called carnival and was told my suitcase was not found but they would look for it. I got a call the next day that they had found my luggage and it was on the ship taking a cruise without me and that they would send it to me when it arrived back and that I would have to pay for it. I wasn't happy about that part but happy my suitcase was found. About 12 days after our cruise my suitcase arrived in a HUGE box and all 65 pounds of it was at my door NO CHARGE! Carnival is awesome!

Malisa

YAY!! Glad to hear it. For this very reason, I travel with just a carry on. :D

Wish I could do that, and I probably could on a 7-day or less but I usually take 12-16 day cruises and can never get by with that little.

My next 16-day I will be Platinum but even with free laundry I don't think I can get by with a carry on.

Archived