Port Compass-private tours-anyone use them?

I've been checking out this company's tours for Florence and Naples. It sounds pretty good, but I've never seen them reccomended on any boards before like so many others are. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,

Tina

We used them for a custom-made tour in South America last year for just two of us and everything went VERY well. My biggest apprehension with them was that they required payment in full in advance, which is against EVERY principle of mine (I don't know if this is true of every tour of theirs, but it was true for our custom one). However, our location was such that there were not a lot of options so we went ahead and did it. It was a wonderful day, and I would use them again without hesitation. I do believe, however, that I have read of people that were less than satisfied, so hopefully if there are some, they will post.

I understand that they give great tours in South America, but I didn't like what I saw when I checked out this company for EUROPE tours last year. First and foremost, when I pay for a private tour, I want flexibility. Port Compass indicated to me that they have standard tours and don't customize in Europe. (Maybe they do now because I checked them out around April of last year.) Also, Port Compass would not help me form a group. I easily formed a group on my own, but one would think that Port Compass would want to help with that so that they would get a booking! Maybe I'm picky, but I like to get some service for my $$, and Port Compass offered none prior to the tour. The other tour operators were at the other end of the extreme and were very helpful and flexible. I guess it just depends on what you want and what your needs are, but I think you can do better in Europe with all the wonderful guides there. You don't see a lot of comments on this company on the Europe boards and, IMHO, these are all good reasons why most cruisers have been taking their business elsewhere.

Have a great trip,

Donna

I am considering Port Compass for some tours in the Mediterranean. I like that they quote prices in Dollars; it just makes it easier for me.

I found them to be very helpful in helping me form a larger group; more helpful than any other tour company I have ever contacted. Their computer system is very useful in helping people on the same cruise ships meet and Sue was very speedy in her responses and in posting the different pricing options and in referring another couple to my group. I guess they read people's opinions and have made some changes.

The comprehensive full day tours that I am looking at are completely customizable and it says so on their website too.

I have not decided yet if I will book them so I would love to hear from others that have (especially in Europe)! Thx.

I had the exact opposite experience (absolutely no help forming tours and absolutely no customization) when I checked with them last year for the ports of Livorno and Monte Carlo, so it sounds like Port Compass is attempting to provide better service in Europe. But for me personally, I wouldn't take a chance on an unknown experience due to a quote in U.S. dollars because that is a very minor detail, and I think the other tour operators will give you a quote in U.S. dollars. I have traveled the Med extensively and have been to all the of your ports several times. Fortunately, we had wonderful first-rate tours with Dream Tours in Monte Carlo and Papillon in Livorno. I highly recommend these companies and also recommend that others check out tour operators with a track record because our time is so valuable in port.

Happy travels to all,

Donna

We used Portcompass in Rome and Florence two years ago with a group of about 8. They showed up when they were supposed to and did allow us to tailor the trip. The big down side tho was that the drivers were young and knew nothing about the sites we visited so one of us read to the others from a guide book. So you can expect nothing but a driver but it was still worth it to use because they pulled right up to the front door of most places where buses couldn't go. I'd look around and compare prices first.

Archived