Spleen or Hawaii Eye - Locals

AmyinVail

I ran into a couple here in Vail who had just sold their Maui home after living there for 5 years. Made a killing, but that isn't my point - they mentioned a fish house that is a MUST, past Poui? I know my spelling and knowledge of the islands has much to be improved. I think it was Mama's Fish house? Something like that....said it was past Wailelea (sp?) into a "gypsy" town (they called it that) and right on the water. I should have written it down. thought I would ask while it's still on my mind....

(This is beachchick)

Correct. It is Mama's Fish House outside of Paia. Get a reservation! We've not done lunch, but have heard they have the best fish and chips on the island. Lest you think, "oh a little fish and chips place," let me tell you about our recent first time for dinner.

We'd been meaning to try it for years, but hadn't. It's a beautiful setting, right on the water with a lovely little beach. We checked in and were directed to the bar area for a very short wait for our table. The decor is, of course, tropical and open. We had a table right by the window. The service was perfect--not too hovering, but there right when you needed.

The menu is not extensive, but the fish is so fresh that the daily specials tell you not just the type of fish and how it will be prepared, but who caught it and where! I had a mai tai (yes, it's the original recipe and fabulous). We ordered dinner without appetizers or extras (entrees do range from $30 to $50), but our wonderful waiter brought a "chef's gift" of a soupcon of the evening's bisque (about a demi-tasse size). It was spiny lobster with passion fruit and mango, and was soooo good. DH doesn't care for bisques so I was going to snag his, but DD beat me to it--rats. I had the wild fish green coconut curry. It's made every night and that night featured 3 of the evening's selections (ono, opakapaka, and opah--3 of my favorites). It was without a doubt the best green curry I've ever eaten (and mine's pretty darn good). It was perfectly presented and included jasmine rice and fresh upcountry snow peas and carrots. DH had a sauted and braised ono with Maui onions, vegetables, and jasmine rice. He was in heaven--and this is a man who's usual comment to me when we eat out is, "it's okay, but your's is better." DD had the seared ahi with Molokai sweet potatoes and some other stuff. She was also practically fainting with pleasure.

We had a nice bottle of wine with dinner. Our waiter presented and poured it professionally. The wine list is good and includes many fine selections. After dinner we opted not to have desert. Again, the waiter brought a "little taste" from the chef. It was a tiny sweet rice and coconut creamy square. Oh yum.

Dinner for 3 with 1 mai tai for me, 1 bottle of mid-priced wine, and 3 entrees was nearly $200 including tip. (Believe me, not bragging that we spent so much; just want everyone to know it's not cheap. We knew going in that this was a special treat meal with our DD and so were expecting it to be pricy. This is not something we would normally do, but it was soooo worth it.)

It was one of the top 5 meals of my life, and it will not be our last time to Mama's (I'll just have to save up extra $$ for it). Many locals we spoke with said that Mama's is where they go on special occasions.

If you are looking for a truly special meal on Maui, Mama's is definitely a place to consider.

Bon appetit!

beachchick

And that's it exactly. Mama's Fish House is a definite must-go. Expensive as all heck ... certainly one of the more expensive meals you'll find on the islands. But if you get there right before sunset, it's just gorgeous (you can't see the sunset itself but the fading glow is VERY nice) and the food is wonderful.

Spleen

Archived