Maui Driving Question

Quincella

Okay, a bunch of questions, really...

First, can you drive from the port at Kahului to Kaanapali via the north end of the island (via what looks like Hwy. 340 and the Kahekili Hwy) or do you have to get there on Hwy 30? Which is better? Which is faster?

Also, we're planning to spend one day at Kaanapali beach, but then we have the Old Lahaina Luau that night. I'm thinking it might be silly to spend the day at Kaanapali, then drive all the way back to the ship at Kahului (and how long would that take, anyway?), and then back again all the way to Lahaina. Does anyone know if you can buy a day pass to a spa at one of the resorts on Kaanapali Beach? If so, I'm thinking we could just take a change of clothes and get showered there...

As always, thanks for your input!

(This is beachchick)

DH and I just drove the northeast route (from Kapalua to Kahului). It is not for the faint of heart. It is a more difficult, and in some ways more dangerous, drive than the road to Hana (we've done that too). It's winding and narrow. In many places it's one lane and barely improved. You can't drive fast and if you're not an extremely experienced driver you shouldn't drive it at all, IMO. It will not save you any time. In fact, it will take you longer than if you just go from Kahului across and up to Lahaina/Ka'anapali. (There were some obviously local drivers who were going faster than the rest of us, but even they weren't zooming along.) The only reason to do this (for us visitors that is) is for the scenery, which we thought was quite interesting and was different from other parts of Maui. From the Kahului airport (if that's where you're picking up the car), take 380 to 30 up to Lahaina/Ka'anapali. From the pier, I'd probably still take that route. It's about 40-45 minutes (assuming you don't run into construction or heavy traffic).

I don't know which, if any, resorts in the Ka'anapali area have day passes. I know that the Sheraton Maui and Ka'anapali Beach Hotel don't. I've not heard of any that do, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. You might call (or have your TA find out). You could also call the Old Lahaina Luau directly and ask if they know of any places you can either get a day pass or shower and clean up before the luau. I agree that spending at least 1-1/2 hours just to drive over and back is a huge waste of time. Some of the beach parks have pretty good facilities, but we've never looked for an indoor shower to clean up and change. There are outdoor rinse off showers at many beach parks and most of the resorts. The showers are right at the beach edge (either at the boundary of the resort or up by the bathrooms at the beach parks). You could just rinse off, but I don't think that's what you're looking for here.

Sorry I couldn't be more help on the resort/spa issue.

beachchick

Thanks, Beachchick!

We'll definitely skip the "scenic route" from the port to Kaanapali and stay with the main roads. Thanks for the info on the time, too. It's good to know how long it will take us to get back from the ship after the luau.

As for the day spa question, just in case anyone is interested, I found out that the Westin on Kaanapali Beach does sell day passes to its spa for $30. This entitles you to use of the sauna, steamroom, jacuzzi, showers and facilities. Kind of steep if you only want to shower, but it saves the trip back to the ship. Also, since we're going to be there anyway, my SIL and I have decided to just schedule massages, while our husbands will just pay the day spa fee. Somehow I'm more okay with spending $100 for a 50-minute massage than $30 for a shower!;)

Quincella: Given the price of gas and the value of your time, I'd say it will be $30 per person more than well spent. Good to know that at least one resort has day passes. And good for you for scheduling massages! I'm sure your DHs will be happy to have you both relaxed and clean. LOL.

Aloha.

beachchick

Archived