Questions, questions ahead of our Spirit cruise!

Daisyduke70

Hello. We are first time cruisers sailing 26th October 2013 from Barcelona and have just a few (silly) questions!

Firstly, we have been assigned stateroom 11166, nice easy number to remember after a drink or two! No idea if it is in a good spot or not, I am a light sleeper and sometimes get a little motion sick on boats....any good for me?

Secondly, do the staterooms have coffee makers or a kettle? I have heard the coffee in the dining rooms is pretty grim, so will want to make our own when we can, as we do like good strong black coffee! Can we take our own kettle and Starbucks instant to make in our room and ask in dining rooms for just hot water so we can make our own after dinner or at breakfast.....or is that just bad manners? If there is a coffee maker in the room, is it a percolator, and are coffee pods/bags supplied?

Thirdly, am I allowed to take hair straighteners, i think they are call hair irons in the states....have heard various reports of them not being allowed.....

I think that's it (for now!!:D)

Thanks

Daisy

Hello. We are first time cruisers sailing 26th October 2013 from Barcelona and have just a few (silly) questions!

Firstly, we have been assigned stateroom 11166, nice easy number to remember after a drink or two! No idea if it is in a good spot or not, I am a light sleeper and sometimes get a little motion sick on boats....any good for me?

Secondly, do the staterooms have coffee makers or a kettle? I have heard the coffee in the dining rooms is pretty grim, so will want to make our own when we can, as we do like good strong black coffee! Can we take our own kettle and Starbucks instant to make in our room and ask in dining rooms for just hot water so we can make our own after dinner or at breakfast.....or is that just bad manners? If there is a coffee maker in the room, is it a percolator, and are coffee pods/bags supplied?

Thirdly, am I allowed to take hair straighteners, i think they are call hair irons in the states....have heard various reports of them not being allowed.....

I think that's it (for now!!:D)

Thanks

Daisy

You are in an Aft Family Balcony. Your cabin is located directly below Raffles Terrace which is an outdoor bar/buffet and is open late. Expect to hear some noise with the crew clean up and chairs being moved, etc. I don't remember that area being one where loud music was played.

You are in an Aft Family Balcony. Your cabin is located directly below Raffles Terrace which is an outdoor bar/buffet and is open late. Expect to hear some noise with the crew clean up and chairs being moved, etc. I don't remember that area being one where loud music was played. http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/spirit/decks/2/11#tab_detail

All of the cabins on deck 11 will have some sort of dining, bar, pool, etc. above them. A plus is that you'll be close to lots of things.

Your cabin will have a coffee maker and your steward will keep you supplied with ground coffee. I don't believe NCL allows you to bring a kettle. But you can just put water in the coffee maker and it will be heated. Waiters will be happy to bring you hot water if you request it in a dining room. You can order coffee from room service almost anytime.

You can bring your own styling tools for your hair. There is a hair dryer in the bathroom, but it's not very powerful and I always brought my own.

We have sailed on the Spirit 3 times and it is a very special ship. Enjoy your cruise!

As we learned here on CC, we brought our own ground up coffee, and small coffee filters, and made our own. They are 4 cup coffee makers. Their prepackaged coffee is icky.

And DW brought her hair rod, and plugged it in at the little desk, where the coffee maker is.

The Spirit is a great ship, have fun. :);)

My suggestions:

1. Bring earplugs just in case. If you haven't slept in them before, try them out prior to the cruise. There are different "sizes" and I couldn't sleep well until I started using the smaller ones (tan foam hearos...purples, blues, etc. were too big for my ears and hurt).

2. You may need to ask for a coffee maker if it isn't already in your room. Not a big deal to ask. They'll be happy to supply the pods, but they aren't high quality coffee. You may want to bring an alternative.

3. I don't think it's terrible to sneak a few Starbucks instant packets in to dinner and just ask for hot water, though I find the MDR coffee to be a tad bit better than the buffet and it fits the bill for something with my dessert.

4. We tried the "bring instant packets" with us to the morning buffet and found it was something I always forgot. So now I just always plan to skip the buffet coffee and stop in the atrium cafe to purchase a nice cup. Their coffee is good and it's a fun ritual. Their coffee is also comparably priced compared to land-based coffee shops.

5. Hair straightener will be fine. BRING A POWER STRIP if you plan to charge anything in addition to using your straigtener (e.g., electric razor, phone, camera). I don't think you'll regret it. We had to purchase a lighter weight one for crusing, but it was very inexpensive. Some even have really tiny travel ones they purchased on Amazon.

Archived